> Feel the earth move?
Dave
post Apr 24 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #21

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 23 2008, 06:35 PM) *

I know I am not the only one who enjoys some solid whackjob conspiracy...

You just gotta love the conspiracy theorists. The moon landing was a hoax (of course tens of thousands of people would have had to be in on it, including the Kremlin foregoing a major opportunity to embarrass the US), the World Trade Center collapsed due to planted explosives (those airplanes? Incidental, coincidence, or merely diversionary), the 9-11 strike on the Pentagon wasn't an airliner, it was a missile (ignore the aircraft debris, and the missing airliner). Whenever I hear one of these things, I think, "Clinton couldn't get oral sex in the Oval Office without the whole world finding out about it; do you really think something like this could be covered up?"

No doubt the folks in southern Indiana and Illinois thought the mushroom cloud was a thunderhead or a tornado or something, and everyone was asleep so no one saw the flash. It isn't like there would be any farmers awake at 4:30 in the morning. rolleyes.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 8 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #22

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

About logarithmic scales: Each whole number increase is an increase by a factor of ten from the previous number. That means that the 5.0 is one hundred times a 3.0, not 1000x as reported above.

Regarding conspiracy theories, let's start a thread so we call ALL enjoy them!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 8 2008, 01:47 PM
Post #23

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 8 2008, 12:34 PM) *

About logarithmic scales: Each whole number increase is an increase by a factor of ten from the previous number. That means that the 5.0 is one hundred times a 3.0, not 1000x as reported above.

Regarding conspiracy theories, let's start a thread so we call ALL enjoy them!

Err, Roger, did you hit the Wiki link in my post?

Actually, upon rereading, we're both right. 31.6 times the energy, 10 times the effect (I suspect the inverse square law applies here somewhere).

Edited to add: Good to see you back on the boards, Roger!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 9 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #24

I admit I did not look at the article, but I will, at the usual risk of getting lost looking up stuff for the next coupl'a hours (Once I got to Ergative Languages; actually quite fascinating.).

The number on a logarithmic scale refers to the exponent on the base--yes, I know there is a more technical explanation, but this is the barebones sketch--which is base 10, in this case. So, log 1 would be 10, log 2 = 100, and so on. Each unit difference in the log number corresponds to a 1 x the base difference in the value. The difference from 3.0 to 5.0 is 2; so 10x 10 is 100.

I love math.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 9 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #25

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Crap - I thought this was about that Carole King song.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 15 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #26

Have any of you encountered people that were affected by the quake in a modified-memory way? Like people who now say they were thrown out of bed, or that kind of thing?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 15 2008, 10:36 PM
Post #27

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 15 2008, 12:40 PM) *

Have any of you encountered people that were affected by the quake in a modified-memory way? Like people who now say they were thrown out of bed, or that kind of thing?

Not me. I think I may have been awake when it happened, but big trucks going by on Pine Street shake the house, too. The only thing I'm sure of is that I was unaware of it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:23 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com