Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=18469

Board overturns coaches' suspensions

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

Split vote means Kaletha and Schwanke can continue volunteering

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Park & Recreation Board by a 2-2 vote Monday night overturned the one-year suspensions of two youth baseball coaches.

Park Board attorney Pat Donoghue said the board was required to make a decision when the coaches chose to appeal their suspensions imposed by former park department superintendent Darrell Garbacik. The one-year suspensions were imposed effective Aug. 7 following a two-month investigation. Garbacik looked into allegations the coaches were targeting one player and encouraging other players to call him a "homo, fag, queer" and other derogatory terms. The coaches allegedly encouraged the name-calling and participated in it themselves.

Donoghue said the burden of proof in the appeals hearings was on Garbacik.

"He had to convince the Park Board that he's right," Donoghue said.

Garbacik attended Monday's meeting and would not comment on the decision, other than to say, "I'm shocked."

The split vote reflected divided public opinion about head baseball coach Scott Kaletha and assistant coach Mike Schwanke.

Board member Phil Freese made a motion not to approve Schwanke's suspension. Freese and board member Bryant Dabney voted for the motion, while members Phil Latchford and Tom Milcarek voted against it. On a motion not to approve Kaletha's suspension, Freese and Dabney again voted in favor of the motion and Latchford and Milcarek voted against it.

The votes came after an Oct. 21 appeal hearing during which park board members heard more than nine hours of testimony and cross-examination by those in favor of the coaches' suspensions and those opposed.

They also considered exhibits and took notes during the hearing.

The suspensions would have prevented Kaletha and Schwanke from participating in Michigan City Parks & Recreation youth activities and the Baseball Player's Association. Attorneys Elizabeth Flynn and Christopher Willoughby of Braje, Nelson & Janes represented both coaches at the appeals hearing. Kaletha did not want to comment after the park board decision and referred questions to Willoughby, who said he preferred to comment at another time.

Latchford said at the beginning of the meeting a motion must receive three votes to pass. He also said the board members wouldn't take questions on their votes. Once the decision was made, the public was allowed to comment.

Family members of the reportedly targeted boy were upset. The boy's mother asked board members to explain their decisions. Board Latchford refused to discuss specifics, but explained the decision-making process.

"We listened to nine hours of testimony, reviewed all exhibits carefully and each made a decision based upon that testimony," Latchford said.

The boy's father said he coached with Kaletha for three years and said boys were quitting baseball and football so they wouldn't have to play for him. Kaletha also is a coach for Michigan City Pop Warner football.

The father admonished board members, saying they have hurt Michigan City kids.

"I did what I was supposed to do, Darrell (Garbacik) did what he was supposed to do, but you didn't do what you were supposed to do," he said.

Likewise, Mary Frazee, who attended the meeting, said, "I just think it's a shame it's come down to not being about children."

David Spangler, speaking in favor of Kaletha and Schwanke, said, "Thank you for reinstating these fine coaches. I've coached with Scott Kaletha for eight years. Thank you for righting this wrong."

Latchford concluded the meeting by saying, "It's been a long, laborious process for everyone involved."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 28 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #22

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I find I can't react properly to this without using swear words.

How exactly are the Park Board members selected, and what would be the best way to get the Neanderthals out of that body?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 28 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #23

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

Before you get too riled, please remember that there are always 3 parts to every story...each side has their own versions, and then the truth.

I'm not sure of everything that happened here, but I can tell you that what the reporter News-Dispatch printed when they broke the story was mostly incorrect and unfounded. I'm sure that she was given bad info, and that this is not the norm, but it sure did a lot of damage for Mr. Kaletha.

For the record, I've seen him on the baseball field with his team when he brings them out to assist with my Challenger Little League at the end of the season for the last 2 years. He displayed nothing but respectful, and encouraging behaviors there.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Oct 28 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 28 2008, 02:04 PM) *

Before you get too riled, please remember that there are always 3 parts to every story...each side has their own versions, and then the truth.

I'm not sure of everything that happened here, but I can tell you that what the reporter News-Dispatch printed when they broke the story was mostly incorrect and unfounded. I'm sure that she was given bad info, and that this is not the norm, but it sure did a lot of damage for Mr. Kaletha.

For the record, I've seen him on the baseball field with his team when he brings them out to assist with my Challenger Little League at the end of the season for the last 2 years. He displayed nothing but respectful, and encouraging behaviors there.

I can tell you that there was ample testimony given that would have warranted upholding the suspension. For the life of me I can't figure out what happened here.

I'm sure Mr. Kaletha was respectful when participating in Challenger activities and the fact remains that Scott is a capable coach, but multiple lines were crossed with regard to his travel team and even on the Lakefront draft night. The board's decision is, quite frankly, shocking and in at least one instance blatant cronyism.

I'd like to say a lot more about this, but I feel like I shouldn't. I'll end with this: I don't think youth baseball in Michigan City is in a better place today than it was yesterday. There's a big mess that's gonna need sorting out here in the near future, I suspect. The fallout from this isn't over.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 28 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 3

Cronyism, aka, business as usual in MC.

At any rate, being a fan of baseball, I think this may be the deathblow to MC baseball. It is already reeling from the behavior of parents and coaches, and now the "commissioner's office" says it is all ok. I am glad that Phil and the other guy voted the way they did, but I am embarrassed for the other two.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Oct 28 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 28 2008, 02:38 PM) *

Cronyism, aka, business as usual in MC.
At any rate, being a fan of baseball, I think this may be the deathblow to MC baseball. It is already reeling from the behavior of parents and coaches, and now the "commissioner's office" says it is all ok. I am glad that Phil and the other guy voted the way they did, but I am embarrassed for the other two.

Phil Latchford and Tom Milcarek upheld the suspension while Phil Freese and Bryant Dabney voted to overturn it. I want to make sure everyone knows exactly who voted where.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 28 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #27

Yes, make it personal. Phil Freese and Bryant Dabney are personally saying that the coaches' behavior is fine with them and an acceptable way
to raise up the next generation. They are wrong.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 28 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 10

If we keep going at this rate, there will be no more youth sports in MC before too long.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Oct 28 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

The thing is, Jenny's right. There are three sides to every issue, but this seemed so clear-cut to me. I mean, he doesn't even really deny that any of the accused behavior went on. He feels like it's OK. Well, it's not and SHAME on Freese and Dabney for condoning it. Dispicable.

It takes a lot to get me fired up, but this really, really, really irritates me on a LOT of levels.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #30

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47408.29

Kaletha teaches 'do it right'
Watching the "head hunt" of Mr. Kaletha was typical Michigan City politics. There is no injustice to the kids of Michigan City.

Mr. Kaletha teaches kids to be winners. Some may not like his technique, but he teaches you listen and learn and do it the way it's designed.

It was an honor to have him coach my son in Pop Warner. He and his volunteer staff are role models - nothing but the real deal.

This man does many great things for our youth that they will never realize until they're much older.

He may seem emotional at times but he just wants the young men and women to do it right, and if they do they will win more than they lose. They accomplished that in Pop Warner going undefeated!

I hope to see you coaching next year, Mr. Kaletha. My son will be there to learn and take another challenge. Congratulations on your victories - you and your staff deserve it.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=18473

Shame on Park Board for keeping coaches
Shame on those who decided to allow these coaches to continue to abuse young boys ["Board overturns coaches' suspensions," Page A1 Tuesday].

In case you can't remember, these "men" admitted to the name calling (including participating in it), stating that it's normal boy behavior.

But you are supposed to be adults. And how sad is it that Michigan City is going to allow this to continue. Was there not a meeting recently, the same night as the original hearing, declaring that there would be a code of ethics in Michigan City?

Obviously these coaches are excluded from the rules.

I hope the parents of young boys take a deep look at what is going on in this town and really think about whether they want their kids to participate in it.

Many people wrote in saying what "outstanding" men these coaches are, but, remember, they admitted to participating in this bullying.

I cannot believe that one of the board members who voted in favor of the coaches actually works with kids with problems. I wonder how many of those kids had been bullied.

Shocked in Michigan City

Kathy Berk

Michigan City
+Quote Post
ANH27
post Nov 2 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #31

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 832

What is Michigan City doing to correct this obvious mistake?

Kaletha and Schwanke admitted to everything! They NEVER ONCE denied the allegations - they merely defended themselves.
I would suggest writing to the Mayor, the Parks and Recreation Department, and the News Dispatch. If that doesn't work then the 'City by the Lake' might as well become the 'City at the Bottom of the Lake' for all it will be worth.

This is sick and wrong and a disservice to EVERY child interested in youth sports in Michigan City and to every coach and parent that has dedicated their time and efforts in an attempt to improve the lives of area youth.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 2 2008, 03:14 PM
Post #32

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ANH27 @ Nov 2 2008, 12:52 PM) *

What is Michigan City doing to correct this obvious mistake?

Kaletha and Schwanke admitted to everything! They NEVER ONCE denied the allegations - they merely defended themselves.
I would suggest writing to the Mayor, the Parks and Recreation Department, and the News Dispatch. If that doesn't work then the 'City by the Lake' might as well become the 'City at the Bottom of the Lake' for all it will be worth.

This is sick and wrong and a disservice to EVERY child interested in youth sports in Michigan City and to every coach and parent that has dedicated their time and efforts in an attempt to improve the lives of area youth.

If you can show me an accurate, unbiased report of everything that happened, I'd support you in your opinion. However, there were a LOT of factual inaccuracies in the initial article in the News-Dispatch. For example, I don't think that Kaletha was at that event in Warsaw as was reported. It was Schwanke.

Do I agree with everything that happened? No. But I do believe there is a lot more to the story than what's being told. Personally, I believe they should have been dealt with separately, and in different ways.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Nov 2 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Nov 2 2008, 03:14 PM) *

If you can show me an accurate, unbiased report of everything that happened, I'd support you in your opinion. However, there were a LOT of factual inaccuracies in the initial article in the News-Dispatch. For example, I don't think that Kaletha was at that event in Warsaw as was reported. It was Schwanke.

Umm, with respect, I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Regardless, in any case -- be it criminal or one like this -- "accurate, unbiased reports" are rarely available and folks are left to make decisions based on witnesses and whatever evidence might be available. In this case, at least with respect to the harassment of a young boy, the accused doesn't even deny that it ever took place and chocks it up to a typical, "boys being boys" attitude. The problem, of course, is Kaletha isn't supposed to act as "one of the boys," rather as a responsible adult charged with caring for, instructing and mentoring young children. That is where there has been a repeated and well-documented breakdown and where Kaletha is severely derelict of his duties to the children he was entrusted with.

You're right that these cases should have been handled separately, but I believe the combining of the two was at the behest of their attorneys.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 3 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #34

See Post #2 above.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 3 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #35

Really Comfortable

Post #2:
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 22 2008, 12:27 PM) *

Kaletha condemns himself. As the High Priest said, "What need have we for witnesses?" Instead of 'fessing up, he tries to justify his own boorish behavior, and possibly even illegal behavior, in the usual smooth-cortexed way, viz., by claiming that it is OK because everyone does it.

+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 3 2008, 03:11 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 817

Kaletha told Garbacik he was aware of the comments, but called it "joking and humor" and "just boys being boys."

Both coaches said the comments had been made for some time, but they denied participating in the harassment. However, Kaletha said he often engages in name-calling with players and said it was a common practice among coaches when he was a young player to use words such as "homo and fag."

Garbacik said, "I explained to the coach that in today's society, one's personal orientations, religious beliefs, etc., are protected and nothing to ever joke about."

Kaletha defended himself, saying he hadn't done anything wrong and didn't feel the language and behavior was wrong.

It would have looked better for Camp Kaletha if a statement would have been issued addressing this portion of the article. The fact that he/his representation never addressed the statements and all of the supportive Kaletha letters sent to the ND (mostly written by friends, their children, his coaching staff, his sister in law and his niece) didn't address these specific statements seems to indicate they are not addressing them for a reason.

If he didn't say these things, I would like to apologize for my mullet comment in another post. If he did say these things, the mullet comment stands. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 3 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(krk @ Nov 3 2008, 03:11 PM) *

Kaletha told Garbacik he was aware of the comments, but called it "joking and humor" and "just boys being boys."

Both coaches said the comments had been made for some time, but they denied participating in the harassment. However, Kaletha said he often engages in name-calling with players and said it was a common practice among coaches when he was a young player to use words such as "homo and fag."

Garbacik said, "I explained to the coach that in today's society, one's personal orientations, religious beliefs, etc., are protected and nothing to ever joke about."

Kaletha defended himself, saying he hadn't done anything wrong and didn't feel the language and behavior was wrong.

It would have looked better for Camp Kaletha if a statement would have been issued addressing this portion of the article. The fact that he/his representation never addressed the statements and all of the supportive Kaletha letters sent to the ND (mostly written by friends, their children, his coaching staff, his sister in law and his niece) didn't address these specific statements seems to indicate they are not addressing them for a reason.

If he didn't say these things, I would like to apologize for my mullet comment in another post. If he did say these things, the mullet comment stands. tongue.gif

Indeed, if he did not say these things or anything like them, then I too apologize for believing the worst; If he did say them, then my comments stand.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 3 2008, 08:35 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Nov 2 2008, 04:31 PM) *

Umm, with respect, I'm pretty sure that's not correct.

Regardless, in any case -- be it criminal or one like this -- "accurate, unbiased reports" are rarely available and folks are left to make decisions based on witnesses and whatever evidence might be available. In this case, at least with respect to the harassment of a young boy, the accused doesn't even deny that it ever took place and chocks it up to a typical, "boys being boys" attitude. The problem, of course, is Kaletha isn't supposed to act as "one of the boys," rather as a responsible adult charged with caring for, instructing and mentoring young children. That is where there has been a repeated and well-documented breakdown and where Kaletha is severely derelict of his duties to the children he was entrusted with.

You're right that these cases should have been handled separately, but I believe the combining of the two was at the behest of their attorneys.

Well said!
biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 5 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

Anyone looking for a team oriented, parent drama free sport should give serious consideration to the Michigan City Soccer Club.

I have volunteered as a coach for many years with the MC Soccer Club. The program is awesome. The teams are setup so each player plays a minimum of 1/2 of each game. The skills, rules, and field sizes scale for each age group. They begin at 5 and under.

There is even a soccer program for special needs children.

What an awesome all around sport!

Spring signups have not yet begun, but you can get more information online at MC Soccer Club Online.

Also feel free to PM me. I am a "Licensed" Indiana Youth Soccer Coach.

All 4 of my children have played in the league at one time or another.

Eric Hanke

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 6 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #40

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49448.66

Council questions coaches' reinstatement

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The reinstatement of youth baseball coaches Scott Kaletha and Mike Schwanke as the result of a tie vote by the Park Board on Oct. 27 could be on shaky ground.

Ron Meer, Michigan City Common Council president, opened Wednesday's meeting by asking council attorney Jim Meyer to request copies of transcripts from a nine-hour appeal hearing from the Park Board, as well as any minutes of meetings and all policy, rules and other documents pertaining to the original suspension.

"We weren't privy to the nine-hour hearing and want to know if it was legitimate or not," Meer said. "If those epithets were used (by the coaches), there is no excuse for someone being reinstated."

Meer asked that all council members receive copies of the pertinent documents. If, after studying the material, the council doesn't agree with the Park Board decision and finds fault with the coaches' behavior, Meer said they would consider passing a resolution asking Mayor Chuck Oberlie to have board members Phil Freese and Bryant Dabney removed from the board for voting to overturn the suspensions.

Former park department superintendent Darrell Garbacik imposed one-year suspensions on Kaletha and Schwanke on Aug. 7 following a two-month investigation. Garbacik looked into allegations the coaches were targeting one player, encouraging other players to call him a "homo, fag, queer" and other derogatory terms.

Christopher Willoughby of Braje, Nelson & Janes represented both coaches at the marathon appeals hearing and was at the council meeting to address the members.

"I'm here to publicly commend the Park Board members for their decision," Willoughby said. "I want the public to understand that each of those gentlemen (board members) was nothing but respectful. They asked thoughtful questions, and they did consider the evidence."

However, council member Bob McKee said a number of issues surrounding the decision are "disturbing."

"First of all, it has come to my attention that one of the members voting to overturn the suspension was a self-described best friend of one of the individuals suspended," McKee said. "It is clear to me that this was a conflict of interest that should not have been allowed to take place."

McKee also questioned the appropriateness of having Willoughby representing the suspended coaches. He also serves as president of the Lakefront Little League, the same one Kaletha and Schwanke coach in. And, he said Garbacik had to be his own attorney at the hearings, which "ended up being more like a formal trial in a court of law."

When the coaches filed their requests for appeals, park board attorney Pat Donoghue said the board was required to make a decision about their suspensions. Donoghue said the burden of proof in the appeals hearings was on Garbacik.

"He had to convince the Park Board that he's right," Donoghue said.

That didn't sit well with McKee, who said a tie vote should have resulted in upholding the suspensions rather than overturning them.

"To have the park board attorney declare that the suspension was overturned is simply wrong," McKee said. "There is not a single ounce of logic that would allow for the suspension to be overturned based on a failed motion and a 2 to 2 vote. It is not right."

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:37 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com