Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200...20/news/n13.txt

POLITICAL NOTEBOOK

Michigan City mayoral candidate Jim LaRocco this week outlined what he'd do to develop the city's North End, saying discussions about North End redevelopment only came about after he announced his candidacy for mayor.

LaRocco, a Democrat, said in a news release that the North End looks almost the same as it did in the 1960s, despite several development studies commissioned for the area.

“We need to start developing and stop talking before we get the reputation we never follow through,” he said.

LaRocco said the city - which is apparently getting closer to purchasing the Blocksom property - should build a riverwalk along Trail Creek, including at the current Blocksom site. He said a mix of green space, small shops and apartments, as well as other residential structures would give all city residents a place to walk, live and shop.

“Best of all it will afford the citizens a new place to go, walk and just enjoy the view,” he said.

LaRocco said development should benefit everyone in the city and added that the “average citizen” is not against development. “They are against development that benefits a few at their expense,” he said. “Under no circumstances should the Redevelopment Commission be allowed to sell property for less than fair market value.

“We have to remember that we now have the chance to make major improvements to our city's image and look. We must make sure we do it right the first time or else 100 years from now, our ancestors will be dealing with the same problems.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 21 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

LaRocco does mean descendants, right?

He is close to speaking my language, except for putting housing along Trail Creek. IMO there should be NO housing in the Trail Creek Corridor as defined in the recent Chamber meetings.

Fair market value can never be adequate because the land's present value cannot be computed. That is why the city cannot put a value on it. Getting it onto the tax rolls, as I heard someone say at one of the meetings, is exactly what got us to this troubled point. If there is a green, publicly-accessible core, the much larger surrounding area will be developed. No core, no real growth.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 21 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #3

There is no way a project like this gets done without a significant public usage area. There is also no way a project get done like this without a significant private funding. Michigan City simply does not have the money to fund something that will be at least an eight dollar figure project right now.

Fair market value is indeed a misnomer right now, but not in the way you suggest. Right now the land is worth more developed versus just sitting there. Granted the land will go up in value again after development, but profit motive is exactly what will entice someone to build a project here in the first place.

Remember, profit is not a evil thing. It is what motivates companies to invest in a community, not the goodness of their hearts. Anyone who thinks some guardian angel corporation is going to swoop in and build us a beautiful public acccess facility for no reason, is kidding themselves. One of two things is going to happen on the North End. Either we are building and paying for something ourselves, or we are going to entrust a company to do it for us, with the understanding that they will receive some line of revenues for their work. Well I guess the third thing that could happen would be that it could sit there rotting like it has for decades, but that is another story.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 21 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

believe you me, i am not against profit. but if the immediate environs of the creek and the lake for that matter are built to the waters edge, a block away there will be no change. so just the small area right on the water will be de eloped, and the surrounding much larger area will sta y as it is. watch what happens at pioneer site: if he builds to the waters edge, the outside perimeter aaway from the water will stay undeveloped.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #5

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../09/news/n8.txt

POLITICAL NOTEBOOK

Democratic mayoral hopeful Jim LaRocco issued a statement Thursday on city planning.

“We have been involved in controversy over two serious misinterpretations of statutes by the city's planning director,” said LaRocco. “The first was letting a tower be built on a home in Sheridan Beach. The planning director issued approval for this structure citing that the city ordinance allowed such towers. Yet the city ordinance's definition for towers clearly does not apply to residential buildings but to structures such as cell-phone towers.”

LaRocco also was critical of a decision by the city to allow residential structures to be built over the allowed height.

“It took a court decision to verify that the Planning Department's approval of the tower structure was not correct, then we learn the local court decision was challenged by the city and upheld in the Court of Appeals. This all happened through errors in the Planning Department.”

LaRocco charged that the Planning Department is being managed by someone who seems unfamiliar with city ordinances and does not seek legal counsel to provide clarification.

“The other important issue is the proposed Pahs Road ... development. I ask the citizens of Michigan City, why would the current mayor endorse this development in writing, citing that he supported the proposed development, and that he considered it a high priority and that it was much needed here in Michigan City? There is no need for another development of this type because we have an overabundance of this type of apartment now.”

LaRocco said f he's elected, he will hold the Planning Department accountable for its actions and that he believes the planning director should resign.

He also criticized the current administration for its handling of the fire chief's retirement.

“The current mayor was aware of the exact date of the chief's retirement three years ago. Now we have an interim chief until interviews are completed and a new fire chief selected. ... The mayor had several months prior to the chief's retirement to conduct these interviews. If the mayor had done this, we would not have an interim chief. This ... illustrates the mayor's lack of foresight and the inability to make decisions.”

+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 9 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

SLAM!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 9 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Those are some strong words coming from someone whose main qualifications, as he states, are merely that he's "been around politics all of his life."

Being around them and being involved as an elected official are two completely different things.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 9 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Be that as it may, Larocco seems to have the right idea about the planning dept!
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 9 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 9 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Be that as it may, Larocco seems to have the right idea about the planning dept!

Point made....and I agree.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 20 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #10

Democratic Mayor candidate Jim LaRocco on Thursday issued a statement dealing with leadership in Michigan City.

LaRocco said it is up to the mayor to provide leadership and direction, to “guide, negotiate and make decisions” and that the mayor cannot do it alone.

“A leader assembles a team, sets goals and allows the department heads the freedom to do their job,” said LaRocco. “An effective leader is quick to give praise for a job well done and hold all department heads accountable for their actions. An effective leader creates an atmosphere of free thinking and encourages creative solutions. My administration will be built on hard work, determination, trust and dedication.”

LaRocco said that in order for Michigan City to move forward, its image must be changed. “We need a strong, confident leader to guide Michigan City the next four years.

“An effective leader will guide, direct and counsel the many boards and commissions. ... A leader with vision would realize the importance of commercial and retail development in the Michigan Boulevard corridor. He would see the benefit to our diminishing tax base that this type of development would provide. He would see that these types of developments are actively pursued, not dismissed as ‘chancy.'”

And, said LaRocco, “A leader with vision would see the great harm a garbage transfer station would cause to the future development of our city's west side and to the quality of life.

“When elected mayor, I will do my best to promote visionary leadership to provide direction and create results, to attain our goals, generate more opportunities, and most importantly, try to keep costs in line for the taxpayer.”
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 2 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #11

Democratic mayoral candidate Jim LaRocco issued a statement Monday saying that, if elected mayor, he will “have an open door policy. I will be available, accessible and accountable.”

LaRocco also promised to use common sense to guide the city and will not “propose grand schemes that look great on paper but have no merit.

“I will not support anything that will hurt the quality of life for the citizens of Michigan City.”

LaRocco said it is time to “end business as usual.” He pledged to be the voice of the people, and said “their opinions will always matter to me, even if I have to disagree.”

With a week to go before the primary election, LaRocco said, he has gone door to door and met with hundreds of residents.

“They all say one thing: It is time for a change,” he said.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 3 2007, 08:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I went for Larocco by default at first, but I do agree that it is timefor change and he is the man for the job.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 3 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ May 3 2007, 09:29 AM) *

I went for Larocco by default at first, but I do agree that it is timefor change and he is the man for the job.

Max, you and I agree on this one point: It's time for a change. But tell me why Jim instead of Joie, in your opinion?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:47 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com