Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grammar Issues
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 10 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This is the thread for all the grammar freaks (I am one, and proud!) to put your foible-exposures on, and it may even free up some of the grammar fights in the ND message board (Tim? Are you there?)

To get the ball rolling, here is my biggest grammar pet peeve: When people say AN Historic....instead of A Historic. Here is the rule: If the following sound is a consonant sound, say A; if the following sound is a vowel sound, say AN. Boy, does that tick me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 10 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Mine is people who confuse then and than. ie: "We went for a walk than we jumped in the water" or "I have more apples then she does." Oooohhhhh, that irritates me to no end!! THAN is used to make a comparison and can be a conjuction or a preposition whereas THEN is used solely as a conjuction to combine two independent clauses.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/conjunctions.htm#than

Thanks Roger for putting this here. This thread is a great idea and I feel wonderful just getting that little pet peeve off my chest! biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jan 11 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

It drives me nuts when people mess up "your" and "you're." Of course, in that same vein falls "to," "too" and "two." Seriously, people, it's not that hard.
+Quote Post
BioTeach
post Jan 11 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 9

a lot = 2 words!!!

My students are also always mixing up know and now. They also often here a song instead of hear it.

I only have one more thing. If you are doing something, you are doing it well...not good!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 11 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

I am the worst person to ask this too... I am terrible with grammar is written form, so pretty much if there is a rule, I am breaking it somewhere along the line. I think faster than I can type.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 11 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #6

You may think faster than you can type, but you cannot type faster than you can proofread! Take the time; don't show up to the interview with a stained tie!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 11 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 10 2007, 04:00 PM) *

This is the thread for all the grammar freaks (I am one, and proud!)*no comma after one to put your foible-exposures on,*no hyphen and no comma again and it may even free up some of the grammar fights in the ND message board (Tim? Are you there?)
To get the ball rolling, here is my biggest grammar pet peeve: When people say AN Historic....instead of A Historic. Here is the rule: If the following sound is a consonant sound, say A; if the following sound is a vowel sound, say AN. Boy, does that tick me off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* when and if shouldn't be capped, misuse of a semicolon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[color=#FF0000]

This isn't really a grammar issue rather than just a pet peeve. One of my pet peeves is people preaching about grammer on banal websites. Sorry, couldn't resist. wink.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jan 12 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 11 2007, 09:37 PM) *

This isn't really a grammar issue rather than just a pet peeve. One of my pet peeves is people preaching about grammer on banal websites. Sorry, couldn't resist. wink.gif

Actually, "When" and "If" should be capitalized after a colon in this instance. You capitalize the first letter when what follows the colon is a complete sentence. If it isn't, then you don't.
+Quote Post
TheAnchorage
post Jan 12 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 21

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jan 12 2007, 01:35 AM) *

Actually, "When" and "If" should be capitalized after a colon in this instance. You capitalize the first letter when what follows the colon is a complete sentence. If it isn't, then you don't.

If that's the case, then "When" should not be capitalized, because what follows it is not a complete sentence.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 12 2007, 07:39 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jan 12 2007, 01:35 AM) *

Ok, I'll give you the last one but the rest of them are incorrect. I think you follow my drift though. Mr. Grammar has many mistakes. Too many mistakes to be critical. There is also a misuse of an ellipses and there is no such thing as a four dot ellipses. BTW, you'll never find me being a grammar Nazi unless it's in a thread about grammar.

dry.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 12 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #11

The singular is 'ellipsis' and the plural is 'ellipses.'

As for the use of a capital after a colon, please refer to Strunk & White.

'Foible-exposures' is a compound noun.

Regarding the four-dot ellipsis, I just got carried away!

The use of commas is correct in the original. There may be some debate about the first instance noted, but not among the cognoscenti.

If clauses are normally separated by a comma, punctuation hierarchy demands the use of a semicolon when at least one clause includes the use of commas.

One final note: Spelling matters.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 12 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 12 2007, 08:32 AM) *

The singular is 'ellipsis' and the plural is 'ellipses.'

As for the use of a capital after a colon, please refer to Strunk & White.

'Foible-exposures' is a compound noun.

Regarding the four-dot ellipsis, I just got carried away!

The use of commas is correct in the original. There may be some debate about the first instance noted, but not among the cognoscenti.

If clauses are normally separated by a comma, punctuation hierarchy demands the use of a semicolon when at least one clause includes the use of commas.

One final note: Spelling matters.

Well, it's still a misuse of an ellipsis, four dot or three.

Not all compound nouns are hyphenated and I don't think foible exposures should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Lars
post Jan 12 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4

"What I did?" "Axe him! He knowed!" "pay my car note" "who it be?" "who there?" "know what I'm sayin?"
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 12 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 12 2007, 03:35 PM) *

Well, it's still a misuse of an ellipsis, four dot or three.

Not all compound nouns are hyphenated and I don't think foible exposures should be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_compound

Thank you for the reference. I am glad you found it there so I can correct the article. Also, thanks for the attempts at correcting me, ChickenChoker, because it helps to keep me on my toes.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 12 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 12 2007, 08:11 PM) *

Thank you for the reference. I am glad you found it there so I can correct the article. Also, thanks for the attempts at correcting me, ChickenChoker, because it helps to keep me on my toes.

Chicken Choker is two words. And is this the kind of name calling going on here? I thought this site was going to be different than that rediculous message board at the ND. Moderators! Put a leash on this guy.
+Quote Post
Lars
post Jan 13 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 4

I believe it is spelled "Ridiculous". blink.gif
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 12 2007, 08:11 PM) *

ChickenChoker? Pretty classy there Roger. Sorry that you aren't a little thicker skinned; I don't mean to get you upset, just want to point some things out.
BTW, it wasn't an attempt. I did correct you. FYI, your first sentence doesn't make any sense at all. It should say something like, "this is a thread on which you can put your foible exposures." The first phrase in this sentence ends with a preposition and doesn't make sense.
Hey, I didn't make up the rules! In the latest issue of Harpers, there is a website referenced where you can pose your grammar question to the University of Chicago Press and the Chicago Manual of Stlye.

http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/CMS_FA...uestions01.html

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 13 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10

Geeze you guys!! I feel like I'm back at Feedback. This is crazy. If you have a grammer pet peeve, post it. You don't need to insult people or put them down. If you don't approve of their grammer, post it as a pet peeve, not an insult. Kay?

One of my pet peeves is people who have to make others feel small in order to feel superior. This world is full of too much hate already, lets not bring it here. If you want to insult or put someone down, go back to the ND Feedback.

Thank you.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2007, 02:00 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 13 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Geeze you guys!! I feel like I'm back at Feedback. This is crazy. If you have a grammer pet peeve, post it. You don't need to insult people or put them down. If you don't approve of their grammer, post it as a pet peeve, not an insult. Kay?

One of my pet peeves is people who have to make others feel small in order to feel superior. This world is full of too much hate already, lets not bring it here. If you want to insult or put someone down, go back to the ND Feedback.

Thank you.

Hey ANG, it's grammar. LOL, I'm just playing. Ok, I promise to leave this thread alone. smile.gif tongue.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 13 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 13 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Thank you.

Actually, the only person hurling insults is Roger with his ChickenChoker comment. He's the main reason I've never posted on the ND board - way too combative.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:35 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com