post Sep 6 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=54226.89

Terri Anne Greig
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - H&H Farm, on five acres of land on Indiana 2 and County Road 400 West, is one of a few family owned perennial flower and vegetable farms in La Porte County that uses organic practices.

Alexis Burns is 4, but already knows the names of many perennials and flowers - in English and Latin.

"She will probably be the only kid in kindergarten who knows how to speak Latin," her mother, Sacha Burns, said.

Alexis, and her baby sister, Mia, who is 4 months old, are growing up the natural way. They will learn the farming techniques that have been passed down through the generations of their family.

Sacha, 27, La Porte, helps to run the family farm. She plans on tilling eight more acres of land situated near Purdue University-North Central next year, but that's about it.

"I want to keep it small," she says. "I don't want it to be so big that I myself can't walk the fields."

Sacha and her mother, Herta Gee, run the day-to-day operation. Sacha's grandfather, Hans Winter, husband, Brian, and sister, Nicole Zaiko, also help.

The farming approach is definitely old world. Winter is originally from Germany and taught his daughter - and now his granddaughters - about organic farming.

The family began growing fresh flowers nearly two decades ago, and only grew organic vegetables and fruits for family and friends. Several years ago, they began growing the produce to sell at farmers markets.

"I really am surprised that more people aren't farming this way," Sacha said. "It is actually better and less expensive in the long run."

Growing up on a farm, Sacha can't imagine living any other way.

"I've tried working in offices a few times. For me, nothing compares to working outside and watching seeds grow into something so wonderful. I want to bring up my girls the same way. If when they turn 18 they want to move to Chicago, that will be up to them. But, I really don't think they'll do that."

First thing in the morning, after her husband goes to his job at a steel mill, and her girls have had their breakfast, Sacha heads out to fields, where she usually stays until it gets dark.

"You see, that's why I don't want us to get any larger," she said. "I want to be able to walk the fields, check the plants and see how everything is growing."

The family never uses commercial pesticides. Sacha uses the old-fashioned method - she individually picks the bug off the leaf and disposes of it. If the pest problem is bigger, she uses a mixture of water and a small amount of soap.

Tomatoes are the farm's specialty, especially heirloom tomatoes.

In growing vegetables, Sacha never uses commercial fertilizers. She believes one of the keys to the success of the farm's tomatoes is a special, but rather smelly one.

"Fish emulsion," she says with a laugh. "Basically, it's fish guts that we fertilize the tomatoes with in the spring. You can't get more organic than that, but you don't want to be around me. It can get a little intense with the smell."

The farm is open May 1 through Nov. 1.

In January, Sacha begins planning the season's plants, and by early spring has seedling plants available for purchase.

"That's really part of our goal," Sacha said. "Home-grown tomatoes and vegetables are so great, we want everyone to try it. When you grow your own tomato plant, it's like owning your own little piece of heaven."

A graduate of La Porte High School, Sacha attended college for a few years studying landscape architecture, but she missed the outdoors and working with her family's business.

Sacha feels strongly about organic farming.

"A lot of people spray too quickly, and many of these insects have become resistant to the sprays."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Sep 7 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Which farmers makets are they going to?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:35 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com