Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...2d510100361.txt

Jeff Santana announces candidacy for county council

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 5:08 PM CST
LA PORTE COUNTY — Jeff Santana, a 27-year veteran of the Michigan City Fire Department, has announced he will seek a seat on the La Porte County Council.

Santana, a Democrat from Michigan City, currently serves as a driver/operator for the fire department and has previously served as the department’s public information officer, public education officer and has assisted in the training and inspection division.

Although never having run for office before, Santana says he has always had political aspirations.

“I never knew when I’d throw my hat in the ring, but now is the time,” he said.

If elected, Santana said the creation of more jobs, support of the workers and renewed health insurance for employees are some of the issues he would like to help address.

“We need to get people off government aid and try to stimulate the economy,” he said. “We need to do the best we can for economic development and growth.”

Looking out for the best interests of county workers, he says, is a must.

“I am very much in favor of trying to find ways and means to give back to the workers,” he said, suggesting that practices as simple as officials “turning out the lights” after they leave their office would help cut costs.

“I feel the workers of the county need someone like myself to stand up for them,” he added.

Santana also boasts that he is “pro-union,” currently a member of the Fire Department’s Local Union 475.

The 50-year-old Elston High School graduate has held a number of what he calls “part-time jobs” in the community, including service as a licensed basketball official, softball umpire and selling for an independent advertising company for a division at Franciscan St. Anthony Health - Michigan City.

He is also a member of the Moose Family Center 980 of Michigan City.

If elected, Santana said he will “bring positive energy, as well as good communication and organizational skills to the council and people of La Porte County.”

On May 8, Santana will face Matthew Bernacchi, David Biela, Scott Ford, Steve Holifield, Lee Mumaw, John L. Pappas and Lois Sosinski in the Democratic primary.

The top three vote getters will advance to the general election in November.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com