Southsider2k12
post Jan 6 2011, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20.../101060319/1130

8 dogs die in Michigan City house fire
Homeowners had gone shopping to buy dog food.

By STAN MADDUX
Tribune Correspondent

MICHIGAN CITY — Jeff Bell heard what he described as squealing but was unable to rescue eight Chihuahuas from a burning house near Michigan City.

"I just wish I could have saved the dogs," Bell said.

Tuesday night's fire destroyed the 1,500-square-foot, bi-level house in the 5200 block of West 1000 North.

Marvin Faith Sr. said he and his wife had left to go shopping and about an hour later were notified about the fire.

Bell, who lives in a camper at the rear of the property, said he and his sister spotted the smoke and flames. He heard the animals squealing and tried rescuing the dogs, but was driven back by intense smoke and flames.

"I opened the front door and the heat hit me in the face," said Bell, who took a few steps into the house and was quickly driven out.

Marvin Faith said some of the dogs were as young as 1 or 2 years of age.

Ironically, Faith said, he and his wife had gone shopping to buy dog food.

The couple's outside animals — a dog, a goat and chickens — were not affected by the blaze.

Faith said he was remodeling the 60- to 70-year-old house and was in the process of updating the electrical system.

The house and everything inside were a total loss, including items of sentimental value, considering the couple have seven children, 22 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.

"A lot of stuff was in there that was theirs," Faith said. "I told them they don't have to worry about coming to get it because it was all gone."

Faith said he and his wife have moved in with their son, who lives in another house owned by the couple in Michigan City.

"It's big enough for all of us to stay in," Faith said.

The state fire marshal's office was called in to assist in the investigation, but as of Wednesday the cause of the fire was not known.

LaPorte County police fire investigator Mike Raymer said the roof and floor collapsed into the basement. And, combined with the buildup of ice, conditions were just too dangerous to even attempt to go inside to try to uncover a cause.

"It's too dangerous to go in there,'' said Raymer, who noted the couple for decades had used a wood-burning stove to help heat the home.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:44 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com