> Top items that are history in MC...
JHeath
post Jun 19 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #101

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 19 2008, 03:51 PM) *

Is it still there? I thought they tore it down when they built the new Jewel. I'll have to take a walk back there next time I'm in town. I've told the kids about it, but since I thought it was gone we never ventured back there.

Don't know if this is true or not, but my mom told me it used to be Winski property. JHeath, know anything about that?

No, that was the Ruby manison, not a Winski property. In fact, I believe that area was at one time known as Ruby Woods. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong. (Where is Southyards when I need him...?)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 19 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #102

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Well then maybe I'm confused with the property on Franklin between the CSX tracks and Coolspring. On the east side with the fence, I think it's across from Dr. Pejic's house. I know there is a pool cause you can see the slide (or there used to be a pool)

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 19 2008, 03:24 PM
Post #103

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 19 2008, 04:18 PM) *

Well then maybe I'm confused with the property on Franklin between the CSX tracks and Coolspring. On the east side with the fence, I think it's across from Dr. Pejic's house. I know there is a pool cause you can see the slide (or there used to be a pool)

Yes, that one, along with the more modern looking home, and Dr. Pejic's old house (he no longer lives in that one) are all former Winski homes. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 19 2008, 03:43 PM
Post #104

Okay. Cause I remember my mom telling me when I was a teenager that the Winski's owned half of Franklin St. I know she was "slightly" exaggerating, but it was something I never forgot her telling me. She told me that cause I remember making a comment about wishing I knew who lived in the house that had a slide for their pool so I could so swimming in it. She said, "Well, then you need to make friends with a Winski cause they own half of Franklin St."
Now, 30 years later, I am finally friends with a Winski. Hey JHeath, can I go swimming in that pool? laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 19 2008, 03:58 PM
Post #105

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 19 2008, 04:43 PM) *

Okay. Cause I remember my mom telling me when I was a teenager that the Winski's owned half of Franklin St. I know she was "slightly" exaggerating, but it was something I never forgot her telling me. She told me that cause I remember making a comment about wishing I knew who lived in the house that had a slide for their pool so I could so swimming in it. She said, "Well, then you need to make friends with a Winski cause they own half of Franklin St."
Now, 30 years later, I am finally friends with a Winski. Hey JHeath, can I go swimming in that pool? laugh.gif

laugh.gif If Uncle Nate still lived there, I'd take you there in a heartbeat. It was a great house!
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 19 2008, 04:32 PM
Post #106

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

The Pony Lounge.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 20 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 3

My favorite liquor store, as a teen: Kyle's Crown Liquors.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 25 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #108

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Dan @ Jun 19 2008, 04:11 PM) *

It was in shambles long before Jewel was built. But parts of the walls remained, and the concrete tennis court was was left to the elements.

I also remember an old log cabin, way back in the woods, somewhere between Lindos and the old auto scrap yard on 20.

this is getting off-topic, but my brother told me stories of a building downtown in the square that actually had a sub-basement with a sand floor, and a little creek/stream flowing though it. I can't remember which one, though...

(bolding mine)

Now that's something I'd like to see, it sounds pretty cool.

Sometimes our place has a stream running through the basement -- when it's raining really hard and the drains get clogged. This is not what I consider cool, however.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 25 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #109

Musty.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 25 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #110

As long as you don't get fish in your stream....

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 25 2008, 03:34 PM
Post #111

While whitewater rafting in West Virginia, we visited a site of a house that once was quite grand, and it had a creek running through the basemen, too. Maybe it is more common in the fancier houses of yore.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 25 2008, 03:56 PM
Post #112

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 25 2008, 04:30 PM) *

As long as you don't get fish in your stream....

If it starts raining fish, I'm not going to be worrying about a wet basement!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 25 2008, 04:14 PM
Post #113

That would be creepy!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
digger262
post Jul 23 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #114

Member No.: 771

212 Bargain Center....I remember they would have 1/2 price sales on all records and tapes(before CDs) 1 weekend a year. It was a great time to stock up on music tapes.

Orange Julius at the mall.

Gold Mine at the mall......threw away a lot of quarters at that place.

There was an indoor mini golf and arcade at Evergreen Plaza for a couple years in the early 80s....anyone remember the name?

+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 23 2008, 08:53 PM
Post #115

QUOTE(digger262 @ Jul 23 2008, 02:13 PM) *

There was an indoor mini golf and arcade at Evergreen Plaza for a couple years in the early 80s....anyone remember the name?

Don't remember the name, but I remember going there. Ooohhh, the time I spent on the centipede machine!!! That was MY game!
Then there was some game that had little people you could move around. I remember saying to my friends, "One day they are going to make a video game where you can actually have the people walk and sit and climb ladders and fight. You'll be able to make them do anything" My friends thought I was crazy for even suggesting that.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 23 2008, 10:48 PM
Post #116

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

The Gold Mine! When I was in high school me and a couple buddies would spend HOURS in there - we were total pinball freaks. We played Four Square and a couple of others - and we could make a quarter last for an hour. We were also pigs - we all smoked - and we'd just lay the cigarette on the glass , which would stink to high heaven.

Thanks for the memory!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 24 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #117

AHA! So YOU were the one doing that!!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 24 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #118

Member No.: 2

Guilty as another who spent too much time and money in the Gold Mine. I was a Crystal Castles nut.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 24 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #119

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Was the gold mine the gold mine before it moved to next to the corndog place? I remember it used to be on the other side of the mall in a normal store front but can't recall if it was called the gold mine.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
southyards
post Jul 24 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #120

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

Well, JHeath
Better (very) late than never. And, of course, better never late. You are correct about the Ruby property and the title of “Ruby Woods” as it was popularly known at the time.
As an interesting sidebar, the nearby property where now resides the South Side Shopping Center, was a large field (many years ago). That’s where the circus used to set up shop when it came to town. Came in on the train downtown and had a parade, elephants and all, right up Franklin Street to that site and then set up the tents, using the elephants and volunteers. Was a big deal at the time.
There was (most likely still is) a pool at Nate Winski’s former house with a slide. That would be the house across the street from Dr. Pejic’s house which was formerly owned by Henry Winski. That particular house had a tiny pool, but a pool nevertheless.
Right next to (South of) Nate’s house is another house with a good size pool. That house was formerly Mort Winski’s house and was bought by Dr. Walters, a loooong time ago.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:42 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com