Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

http://www.heraldargus.com/articles/2011/0...75514103373.txt

County commissioners lowers smoking fines to $25

By Alicia Ebaugh
Published: Monday, March 21, 2011 5:06 PM CDT
Staff writer

LA PORTE — In order to foster more consistent enforcement of a smoking ban on county property, county officials lowered the fine for violating it to $25 on Tuesday.

County Commissioners unanimously passed the fine reduction at their Tuesday meeting. Commission president Ken Layton said the sheriff’s security staff approached them to make the change because they were reluctant to issue the tickets otherwise.

The smoking ban, passed by County Commissioners in 2007, originally provided for a $150 fine, said La Porte County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Jim Sosinski. The sheriff’s security staff is charged with its enforcement.

In other business, commissioners:

n Established a $25 fine for parking in spaces reserved for La Porte County officials and employees at the Michigan City Courthouse. Violators’ vehicles may be towed at the violators’ expense. The county highway department will put up signs designating reserved parking spaces.

n Signed a contract allowing Acme ATMs and Games of South Bend to install four ATMs in the county’s courthouses and other buildings for public use. The company will pay the county 50 cents per transaction, according to the contract. The county will only be responsible for electricity to the machines and a phone jack for outgoing calls.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 23 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

The whole "smoking ban" thing in Indiana is stupid. This - the staff is "reluctant" to issue tickets until the fine comes down? BS. It's your job. Then Indiana's proposed "no smoking ban" which exempts anywhere it would cost Indiana money to ban smoking. Why bother?
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 23 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

When I was at the high school a couple weeks ago during halftime of the sectional semi-final game between Valpo and Crown Point I was walking toward the stairs in the southeast sports heritage hall lobby and Valpo fan was standing by the exit doors and he says to me, "Hey buddy, would you stand here while I go outside and have a cigarette and let me back in when I knock on the door." I told him,

1. There is no pass out, If you go outside you have to buy another $6.00 ticket to get back in.

2. It is a violation of state law to smoke anywhere on any school grounds in Indiana, you can't even smoke in the parking lot out in your car. I told him, "If you gotta smoke, leave."

The guy just gave me an ignorant look.

I know that some schools don't enforce it, but Michigan City does.

I mean who did that guy think I was, Ralph the Doorman.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 26 2011, 02:50 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 23 2011, 05:17 PM) *

When I was at the high school a couple weeks ago during halftime of the sectional semi-final game between Valpo and Crown Point I was walking toward the stairs in the southeast sports heritage hall lobby and Valpo fan was standing by the exit doors and he says to me, "Hey buddy, would you stand here while I go outside and have a cigarette and let me back in when I knock on the door." I told him,

1. There is no pass out, If you go outside you have to buy another $6.00 ticket to get back in.

2. It is a violation of state law to smoke anywhere on any school grounds in Indiana, you can't even smoke in the parking lot out in your car. I told him, "If you gotta smoke, leave."

The guy just gave me an ignorant look.

I know that some schools don't enforce it, but Michigan City does.

I mean who did that guy think I was, Ralph the Doorman.

Totally get your response and you're right. THis would have been mine -

1. No.

Done.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 26 2011, 12:58 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Tim @ Mar 26 2011, 03:50 AM) *

Totally get your response and you're right. THis would have been mine -

1. No.

Done.

I know some fans quit coming to the games because they no longer can go out and smoke between JV and Varsity games and at halftime.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 26 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 26 2011, 12:58 PM) *

I know some fans quit coming to the games because they no longer can go out and smoke between JV and Varsity games and at halftime.

Good. Let them stay home and continue their self-made march to an early grave.

This is so stupid. The country sets fines based on how willing their staff is to do their freaking jobs??

Unbelievable.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:32 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com