Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NIPSCO Gas Prices, More ups and downs than a yo-yo
Ang
post Jul 4 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #21

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

That is why the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in Wyoming is very strict with miners and drillers.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 5 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I have read that the tremendous increase of road networks to the new fields has (not will) affected wildlife. For example, mule deer are staying in higher ranges all summer. I think Field and Stream had a big article about this.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 5 2008, 01:38 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 10

My bro-in-law was talking about the same thing. There is an elk reserve just outside of Jackson Hole and less and less elk come there, they are staying up high to avoid the noise and pollution of mining and drilling.
On the other hand, we've had a lot more wildlife in town walking the streets and eating the foliage in peoples yards. It's crazy in Casper. I was driving down the main drag the other night and had to stop for antelope crossing.
Can you imagine driving down south Franklin and having to stop for half a dozen deer to cross the road?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 7 2008, 08:36 AM
Post #24

A little disruption seems to make a big diff to the beasts.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 28 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39647.15

Natural Gas Prices Going Up
Consumers should expect dramatically higher natural gas prices this winter. While it is too early for Indiana natural gas utilities to predict the exact impact on heating bills, the trend in the competitive national market is cause for serious concern. National wholesale natural gas prices are very close to the all-time records set in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.

In addition, current NYMEX futures costs are substantially higher than previous records for July - the time most gas utilities throughout the nation are filling winter storage supplies.

Useful tips at www.IN.gov/OUCC and energy audit tools on various utility Web sites can help consumers reduce consumption and better manage their bills. Natural gas and electric utilities offer budget billing options that can provide consumers with greater predictability when planning.

I encourage consumers to keep the communication lines open with their utilities, especially if facing a financial hardship. If a particular bill cannot be paid in full and on time, it is crucial that the consumer contact the utility immediately to make payment arrangements to ensure costs are managed during the heating season.

A. David Stippler

Indiana Utility Consumer Counselor
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 28 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #26

More suction on the biggest commodity around, the personal income of American working people.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 4 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #27

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcs....3/1130/Sports01

August 04. 2008 1:36PM
NIPSCO to cut natural gas costs for August
Tribune Staff Report

MERRILLVILLE, Ind. — The Northern Indiana Public Service Co. said natural gas costs for August decreased compared with last month, due mainly to a decrease in wholesale natural gas prices as compared with the previous month.

NIPSCO residential customers will see a decrease in natural gas costs of 12.17 percent when compared with July.

A typical NIPSCO residential customer using 50 therms of natural gas should expect a decrease of about $13.61 from last month’s statement in the August billing, although total bill amounts will vary as a result of actual consumption.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Aug 4 2008, 12:16 PM
Post #28

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

I wish I could store about 6 months worth of NG somehow. It would be nice to "tank up" now in preparation for winter.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 4 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 4 2008, 01:11 PM) *

I have told by a NIPSCO executive to expect a significant increase in natural gas rates this winter. In this case significant is equal to 20%-30%.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 4 2008, 12:27 PM
Post #30

Really Comfortable

So do you think that now might be a good time to sign up for their price protection products/services?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 4 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #31

VERY short term, maybe.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 4 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 4 2008, 01:27 PM) *

So do you think that now might be a good time to sign up for their price protection products/services?

I am always afraid in getting locked into a rate and then have the rates go down (though I don't know that would be the case here). I will be taking steps to button up the house in order to use less gas rather than try to lock in a lower rate.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 4 2008, 01:04 PM
Post #33

My sentiments exactamundo.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 4 2008, 01:18 PM
Post #34

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Aug 4 2008, 01:58 PM) *

I am always afraid in getting locked into a rate and then have the rates go down (though I don't know that would be the case here). I will be taking steps to button up the house in order to use less gas rather than try to lock in a lower rate.

I have that same fear. But, isn't there a product where you pay a fee for the promise that you won't be charged more than a certain amount per therm? I have to wonder if it's really worth the extra fee.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 4 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 4 2008, 02:18 PM) *

I have that same fear. But, isn't there a product where you pay a fee for the promise that you won't be charged more than a certain amount per therm? I have to wonder if it's really worth the extra fee.

I have had quite a few folks knocking on the door in the past few weeks offering some kind of service that one could sign up for to lock in gas rates. They claim that they are "not here to sell anything". I never allowed them to stay long enough to hear the offer ... I'm just that skeptical that way ....

As far as a service or product for fee .... I'm really not usre.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 4 2008, 02:56 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kharris @ Aug 4 2008, 03:55 PM) *

I have had quite a few folks knocking on the door in the past few weeks offering some kind of service that one could sign up for to lock in gas rates. They claim that they are "not here to sell anything". I never allowed them to stay long enough to hear the offer ... I'm just that skeptical that way ....

That really should be sure
+Quote Post
Dave
post Aug 4 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #37

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

If they don't have NIPSCO photo ID, I'd bet they're scammers.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 4 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #38

I think there are some legit actors, but the fear of getting taken is usually greater than the fear of NIPSCo's rates.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 5 2008, 06:37 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 2

Me too. I pretty much blow them off as well.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 13 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #40

Really Comfortable

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm still thinking about this. It might be a long winter...and could get expensive. I'm wonodering if it's worth the extra few dollars a month to "cap" the costs on natural gas prices.

http://www.pps.nipsco.com/capped.asp

This option guarantees your Gas Commodity charge will not exceed a pre-set amount for each therm you use for one full year, regardless of how high market prices rise. Each month, your Commodity charge will reflect either your Capped Price or the market price - whichever is lower. Your Commodity charge may fluctuate below the cap, but you'll be secure knowing it will never exceed the cap level you signed up for. Your Gas Commodity charge does not include your Gas Delivery charge, or other Gas Supply charges such as Interstate Transportation and Storage charges - these are shown separately on your bill.

There is a service fee with this option

Example Calculations below show how the PPS Capped Price Option works:

Capped Price Option - Example: Capped Price = $1.20/therm;
Residential Capped Price Service Fee = $9.99
Commercial Capped Price Service Fee = $0.12/therm

Month A: Current GCA Price = $1.30/therm

Your Capped Price Commodity Charge would be used to calculate your gas commodity charge. Assuming you use 100 therms of gas, your Commodity charge would be:

(100 therms x $1.20) = $120.00

Month B: Current GCA Price = $1.00/therm

The current GCA Price would be used to calculate your Commodity charges. Assuming you use 100 therms of gas, your Commodity charge would be:

(100 therms x $1.00) = $100.00

Your additional PPS Capped Monthly Service Fee would be a fixed charge of $9.99, if you are a residential customer.

Your additional PPS Capped Monthly Service Fee would be calculated as follows, if you are a commercial customer:

(100 therms x $0.12) = $12.00

Remember – Your Gas Delivery and other Gas Supply charges will still be billed separately, whether or not you choose PPS. The Delivery portion of your bill experiences very little fluctuation on a per therm basis. The Interstate Transportation and Storage charges are reviewed and updated on a regular basis. The values used in the Example Calculations above are for demonstration purposes only, and do not reflect current PPS Capped option pricing and fees.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com