IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Worst Ever?, Is the MCAS the worst it has ever been?
How low can you go?
Is the MCAS the worst it has ever been?
Absolutely yes [ 3 ] ** [33.33%]
Maybe [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
Absolutely not [ 1 ] ** [11.11%]
"Worst" is a ridiculous understatement [ 4 ] ** [44.44%]
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
Marram
post Jun 15 2008, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 505

Are we reaching rock bottom, or is it a matter of familiarity breeding contempt and frustration? Again, I will withhold my own opinion at the outset.

We had a record number of people respond to the question about Franklin Street. Whadya say we see if we can best ourselves again on this one.

PS Can I get a mod to change the question to, "Is the Michigan City Area School System the worst it has ever been?"

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 15 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I hope that's the way you want it. If not, let me know.

I'm not voting, as I haven't been here in MC long enough to know any condition other than the status quo.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I went to MCAS up until 8th grade. Then I move to Griffith and went to school there until my junior year, when I returned to MC. I completed 11th grade at MCCS (How many of you remember that school?) and started Elston my senior year. When y mom took me to get signed up, I had enough credits earned in Griffith to graduate from Elston. I couldn't because I hadn't taken the required senior classes (gov't and soce), but I had enough credits to do so. This was 25 years ago and I don't think the MCAS has raised their standards one iota.
As an employee of the MCAS, I worked first at Plant Planning. This was after the Jeff Kutch hunting fiasco, so I never worked for him. At that job, I had constant contact with the building Principals and the folks at Admin. Linda Anast was the superintedent. It was a great place to work and I loved my job. Yeah, some of the admin people are crabby bitches, but for the most part, I loved my job. Then the AD secretary position came open and I wanted more than anything to work for Tag. I got the job and moved over to the High School. I loved that job and it was very rewarding, in more ways than one. Then Harding came along and the whole system started the downward slide. People changed all over the place. It was amazing to watch the transformation. Very few of us remained the same people we started out as. To my knowledge, none of us non-comformists are there anymore.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 16 2008, 09:45 AM) *

I went to MCAS up until 8th grade. Then I move to Griffith and went to school there until my junior year, when I returned to MC. I completed 11th grade at MCCS (How many of you remember that school?) and started Elston my senior year. When y mom took me to get signed up, I had enough credits earned in Griffith to graduate from Elston. I couldn't because I hadn't taken the required senior classes (gov't and soce), but I had enough credits to do so. This was 25 years ago and I don't think the MCAS has raised their standards one iota.
As an employee of the MCAS, I worked first at Plant Planning. This was after the Jeff Kutch hunting fiasco, so I never worked for him. At that job, I had constant contact with the building Principals and the folks at Admin. Linda Anast was the superintedent. It was a great place to work and I loved my job. Yeah, some of the admin people are crabby bitches, but for the most part, I loved my job. Then the AD secretary position came open and I wanted more than anything to work for Tag. I got the job and moved over to the High School. I loved that job and it was very rewarding, in more ways than one. Then Harding came along and the whole system started the downward slide. People changed all over the place. It was amazing to watch the transformation. Very few of us remained the same people we started out as. To my knowledge, none of us non-comformists are there anymore.

30 years ago my Grandmother paid to send me to St Paul, because of how far the MCAS had fallen off since her kids went there is the 1960's. I ended up going to Elston High School after that. It was an adjustment for me to say the least. I really feel listening to the stories from people in the classrooms that things have slid even further downhill, with an acceleration after the entrance of Michael Harding. As for your last sentence, it really sounds like the non-conformist teachers are the next ones on the hit list. They are really trying hard to silence their critics, dispite the BS they fed us in the strategic plan about working with the community.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jun 16 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 16 2008, 12:10 AM) *

I'm not voting, as I haven't been here in MC long enough to know any condition other than the status quo.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 16 2008, 09:34 AM) *

As for your last sentence, it really sounds like the non-conformist teachers are the next ones on the hit list. They are really trying hard to silence their critics, dispite the BS they fed us in the strategic plan about working with the community.

Yup. Here's a partial list of non-conformists:

Me
Jeff Freitag
Bob Holmes
Gary Collins
Michele Nauyokas
Cheryl Koepke (but she retired before they could "get" her)
Carolyn Threatt (for those of you who don't know that name, she was the Principal at the Alternative school when they closed it. They stuck her at AK Smith supervising night school. I'm not sure if she's still there or if she's moved on by now)
Ed Mullins (Former Plant Planning Director. Awsome guy, but he left the MCAS to work some where else, is now making $30K more a year doing the same thing and is much happier for the move!)

I know there's more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 16 2008, 03:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

Here is my list: Superintendent. School board.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Beachgirl77
post Jun 16 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 790

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 16 2008, 03:23 PM) *

Yup. Here's a partial list of non-conformists:

Me
Jeff Freitag
Bob Holmes
Gary Collins
Michele Nauyokas
Cheryl Koepke (but she retired before they could "get" her)
Carolyn Threatt (for those of you who don't know that name, she was the Principal at the Alternative school when they closed it. They stuck her at AK Smith supervising night school. I'm not sure if she's still there or if she's moved on by now)
Ed Mullins (Former Plant Planning Director. Awsome guy, but he left the MCAS to work some where else, is now making $30K more a year doing the same thing and is much happier for the move!)

I know there's more but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Jeff was a good guy!

Signature Bar
All of the keys to joy can be reduced to these two: Laugh, but at no one's expense, and love but without expectation. Patrick McBride
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2008, 09:40 PM
Post #9

I'm thinking that some of you may misundersand my point. If you notice I am at the top of my list. My list is a group of people who refuse to cowtow to the demands of the Administration, Namely Michael Harding and his crone, Carla Iacona.
These are people who feel the education of our children are what's important. They believe in honesty and integrity. Treating everyone as they would like to be treated. Going the extra mile to help a child who is struggling.
This group of people (and there are more than just the ones I mentioned) do not believe in the current status quo. They are not afraid to speak out about their dissatisfaction with the system.

That is why we are no longer there, either by our choice or by the choice of the cowardly administration.

Yeah, I know---strong words. Now you know why I am among the people on my list.

Oh, and you wanna know something funny? I'm sure you have all read my quote below. The first time I heard that was from the Principal's secretary at MCHS. She would send out a daily email of what's going on at the high school and she would end it with a quote. When I first read that, I decided that was perfect for me. I made a big sign and hung it up in my office. Mark Francesconi frowned at it the first time he saw it. He did not tell me to take it down, but I could tell he was displeased.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2

That's a gutsy post. Maybe you are the one who should be running for school board, and not me!

[not that I am running, I am just sayin']
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 17 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 17 2008, 07:13 AM) *

That's a gutsy post. Maybe you are the one who should be running for school board, and not me!

Yeah, well that would involve me moving back to MC and there's too much other stuff that needs to be fixed in that town before I can come back. I've got a good thing going here in Casper so I'll be staying here for a while. Besides, there is someone else out there who is going to run that will do a much better job than I.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 09:24 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 3

Clarifications:

1. I mean that MY hit list is the Supt and the Board, not that they are nonconformists.

2. I misread the question and answered "Worst is a ridiculous understatement." I thought it said "...statement" not UNDERstatement. If possible, please change my vote to "Not."

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:18 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com