Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=11836

Putting It In Writing

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Billboards can be helpful to visitors to a community, but Mayor Chuck Oberlie is sure a billboard on U.S. 20, between Skip's Cascade Mountain and Swan Lake Memorial Gardens, is not so helpful.

"MCAS teachers have NO confidence in their Superintendent, Michael Harding," it proclaims in huge white letters on a black background. The billboard was paid for by the Michigan City Education Association.

The teachers' union, which has been working according to the old contract (a condition known as "status quo") since June 30, is still negotiating with the school administration for a new contract.

The sign, on the north side of U.S. 20, faces east. Only motorists in the westbound lanes will notice it.

That particular billboard was apparently chosen because it's on the route Harding drives daily to work from his home in Granger, Ind.

On Nov. 29, the MCEA passed a no-confidence measure.

"The vote was a secret ballot passed by 98 percent of the 467 certified staff," MCEA President Phyllis Stark told The News-Dispatch on Nov. 29. "This motion is a serious critique of the leadership abilities of the superintendent."

Stark said teachers had serious concerns about "lack of leadership, lack of communication and lack of support or caring for employees."

Since that time, "no confidence" yard signs have begun to appear on area lawns, but the billboard is a recent addition.

The News-Dispatch was unable to reach local union leaders for comment or for the cost of the billboard, possibly because they were away for spring break.

Mary Junglas, UniServe director for the local district of the Indiana State Teachers Association, who serves as negotiator in the contract talks, said the signs have "nothing to do with negotiations. They are about educational leadership."

Teachers bargain about issues such as compensation, working conditions and benefits, she said.

The sign is about "what's the smartest thing to do for children," she said. "We don't bargain about that."

Both Oberlie and Tim Bietry, president of the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce (and a former MCAS principal) say the billboard is not a healthy greeting for those driving into or through the community.

"It surely hinders economic development," Bietry said. He said anyone who sees that sign likely will think twice or three or four times about whether to move here to live or to do business here.

Oberlie said the billboard isn't productive. His late wife, Fran Oberlie, was a longtime teacher for MCAS and he said he has some understanding of the struggles teachers face.

"I think it's unfortunate that they spend their resources (on signage)," Oberlie said. "I would like to see both sides sitting down to negotiate the contract. We need to identify what the issues are and get down to work."

Harding, like some teachers, was out of town this week.

When he was contacted by Betsy Kohn, director of communications for MCAS, he pointed to the "MCAS Commitment to Inclusive-ness, Respect and Civility."

Among other expectations, the document declares that everyone involved with MCAS is expected to use "language and behaviors that demonstrate respect and civility to others at all times" and to treat "all others as we would wish to be treated."

Speaking for herself, Kohn said, "It's certainly troubling that the MCEA has made a personal attack like this on the superintendent, particularly when contract negotiations are ongoing.

"The billboard runs counter to our district's core philosophy, that of showing civility and respect to all. We need to build up our schools and our community, not tear them down with negative and divisive messages," she said.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@ thenewsdispatch.com.

Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008
Article comment by: Mike

I think it's time for both sides to air out their differences. The public, most certainly, can help resolve this issue. Are the Teachers asking for too much or is the administration? Not real difficult when are children will reap the benefits.

Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008
Article comment by: Barry Young

Maybe it is time that the teacher's contract got settled. Mr. Harding can word it any way he wants, but the teachers do not have a current, up-to-date contract. Why? Mr. Harding won't even make a commitment to live in the MCAS area, yet the MCAS board keeps perpetuating him. Why? Yes, the billboard does look bad, but no more than the continued stories in the media. Does anybody think that they aren't noticed, even more so than the billboard? Perhaps it is time for the powers-to-be in Michigan City to get off their collective butts and get some things settled, if for no other reason than the good of the community and it's children.

Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008
Article comment by: Mustang

I agree with Betsy Kohn. Taking the issue to billboards is a new low for MCEA. Michigan City schools already have a poor reputation both here and in other communities. A 59% graduation rate and this billboard does not aid the teachers' cause. Don't teachers, the administration and the school board realize the taxpayers pay their salaries? Get to the table and get the issues resolved. Stop the pettiness. We don't need others visiting and laughing at our community.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 7 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

Will somebody PULEEEEEZZE post a picture of this billboard. I HAVE to see it.

I sat here reading this story with my eyes bugged out and my jaw hanging open! Them teachers have grande cajones, huh?

Personally, I applaud their boldness. I hope it serves the purpose, but deep down inside, I don't think it will do anything but hurt them in the long run.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 7 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

When he was contacted by Betsy Kohn, director of communications for MCAS, he pointed to the "MCAS Commitment to Inclusive-ness, Respect and Civility."

Among other expectations, the document declares that everyone involved with MCAS is expected to use "language and behaviors that demonstrate respect and civility to others at all times" and to treat "all others as we would wish to be treated."

dry.gif If this is really what they feel, maybe they should practice what they preach.
Settle the contract issues...get it over with so our students can learn.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 7 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 7 2008, 03:47 PM) *

Will somebody PULEEEEEZZE post a picture of this billboard. I HAVE to see it.

I sat here reading this story with my eyes bugged out and my jaw hanging open! Them teachers have grande cajones, huh?

Personally, I applaud their boldness. I hope it serves the purpose, but deep down inside, I don't think it will do anything but hurt them in the long run.

That is my biggest worry too. That is a pretty aggressive move, and it isn't hard to envision it blowing up in their face.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 7 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 7 2008, 04:40 PM) *

dry.gif If this is really what they feel, maybe they should practice what they preach.
Settle the contract issues...get it over with so our students can learn.

Would that be the civilness they showed towards the Parks Department, or the Inclusiveness they showed towards the Y, or the respect that Sweeney showed towards the teachers?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 8 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=44895.12

Teachers' Billboard
Teachers Union Lobs Personal Attack

Editorial

Other than embarrassing the community, there appears to be no reason why the Michigan City Education Association would spend its money to erect a billboard on a four-lane highway airing its lack of confidence in School Superintendent Michael Harding.

The MCEA has made no secret of the fact that many of its members have lost faith in Harding. All anyone has to do is drive around the city to see yard signs expressing the same sentiment as the billboard.

For a community that is desperately trying to right its economic ship, it does little good for the Chamber of Commerce or the Michigan City Economic Development Corp. to try to lure new business when a billboard like this is put up at the entrance to the city. The last thing a company looking for a new home wants to do is move to a city where some elements of the school system have lowered themselves to lobbing personal attacks in public.

It's also disingenuous for Mary Junglas, the UniServ director for the local district of the Indiana State Teachers Association, to say the sign has nothing to do with negotiations. The fact that teachers have been working under provisions of the old contract that expired last June has become a major point of contention between the union and the school administration. The frustration of teachers has boiled over to the point they are wearing color-coded shirts for each day of the week to express their frustration.

The billboard is merely an extension of that frustration.

"It certainly hinders economic development," said Tim Bietry, president of the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce.

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said he would prefer that both sides sit down and reach an agreement instead of airing their complaints in such a public fashion.

It's hard to argue with that sentiment. The relationship between the teachers union and the school administration appears to have become toxic. It's going to take a lot of work to move forward, and that can't happen as long placing billboards takes precedence over constructive negotiation.

Our Opinion
The Issue: The billboard on U.S. 20 declares that teachers have no confidence in Superintendent of Schools Michael Harding.

Our Opinion: Placing the billboard is an embarrassment to the community. It can't help persuade business and industrial prospects that Michigan City has a good school system.

MC does NOT have a good school system. Trying to persuade new business and industrial prospects that MC does have a good one would be a blatant lie. The school system is already an embarassment to the community, the billboard only confirms what we already know. Why slam the teacher's for this? Administration is the one who needs the slam. If they were doing their jobs properly since the beginning, there would be no need for the billboard.

Do you suppose our illustrious Mayor will step in on this issue as well? Maybe he should become the new Superintendent. He seems to be the only one who can mediate between Administration and the community.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 8 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Do you suppose our illustrious Mayor will step in on this issue as well? Maybe he should become the new Superintendent. He seems to be the only one who can mediate between Administration and the community.

What happened to the whole "better together" slogan that seemed to catch on like wildfire during the campaigns last year? Not only was he using it, but so were the schools at that time.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 8 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #8

Slogans only work during the campaign season. Once the elections are over, so are the slogans--for the most part. I think the only that ever lasted was, "Just say 'NO'."

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 8 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 8 2008, 11:26 AM) *

MC does NOT have a good school system. Trying to persuade new business and industrial prospects that MC does have a good one would be a blatant lie. The school system is already an embarassment to the community, the billboard only confirms what we already know. Why slam the teacher's for this? Administration is the one who needs the slam. If they were doing their jobs properly since the beginning, there would be no need for the billboard.

It would be nice if the Mayor would step in on this since he seemingly ignored the last team this wildfire flared up a few years back. That would be the "strong leadership" thing to do here.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 8 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50707.38

Harding Has Not Respected Teachers
As a daughter of a teacher in the school system, I was shocked by the article "Putting it in Writing" [Page A1, Sunday]. This article, to me, seemed a blatant attack on the opinions and feelings of the Michigan City Area Schools teachers. Yet there was no responsibility placed on Mr. Harding.

I have a message for Mayor Oberlie, the School Board and the school administration. When I was in first grade, I learned an important lesson that has stayed with me to this day. To earn respect you must give respect. From what I know, Michael Harding has not respected or supported our teachers.

Mayor Oberlie says that both sides need to sit down and negotiate the contract. Yes, he is correct, but the billboard is not a lack of respect, it demonstrates the rift between our teachers and the administration. I know that the contract isn't just about salary. It includes benefits for the teachers and contract language which affects both the teachers and the students. Is Mr. Harding involved in the negotiations? As far as the newspaper reports go, his lawyers are negotiating for him. He has deliberately chosen not to be on a negotiating team. If Mr. Harding were more involved, maybe the negotiations could have been resolved before Christmas.

Supposedly teachers are not following their core philosophy, which states you must show civility and respect to all. I think if that is true, shouldn't the School Board and administration show respect and civility to our teachers? It goes both ways.

This billboard isn't trying to ruin our economy or tear down our community. I have always respected my teachers, even if I haven't agreed with them. They are the cornerstone of almost every occupation in our society. I think it's time we supported and respected those who are fighting on the front lines every day.

Suzie Bartholomew

Michigan City

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50707.38

Settle Teacher Contract
When is enough enough? I think 200+ days teaching our children without a contract is enough, don't you? Please call every Michigan City School Board member and every member of this administration to settle this issue in a fair and equitable manner.

Andie Wolfinsohn

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #11

My Anvil Chorus from today...

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....;f=1&t=1242

Is MCAS Being Respectful, Civil?
When Betsy Kohn referenced "MCAS commitment to inclusiveness, respect and civility," was she referring to the inclusiveness that led them to kick out the Parks Department's girls basketball program, the respect that had the MCAS stop passing out pamphlets for local non-for-profit organizations, or the civility that led Assistant Superintendent Eugene Sweeney to blast the teachers of the MCAS publicly?

Michael Gresham

Michigan City

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2008, 01:57 PM
Post #12

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=57623.32

Toss School Board, Teachers Union
Watching the political drama of Michigan City Area Schools, my suggestion would be to get rid of all the players and start a brand new team. School Board out, and do a buyout of the union.

We wonder why our country is in such disarray. You think the teachers union would wake up and take note of how the auto workers are doing! It's always about the money. And respect - you cannot buy it, it is earned, and it's not earned just because you have 20 years in a union. Most think it comes hand and hand, but that's yet another education misunderstanding.

Basic fundamentals are missing in Michigan City, Indiana, and our teachers are just thinking of themselves. There is no resolution because each side is right, just ask them.

Fire them all and put some people in there who respect the profession of teaching the next generation and put their own needs second instead of first.

Two wrongs will never make it right and it's a very sad day that 500 teachers let one man make them lose their purpose. If you do your job why would Mr. Harding be so much focus? Worry about yourselves and get back to the task of teaching. Spending $1,000 to $3,000 a month on a billboard only makes your case worse than what it already is.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #13

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=11971

Teachers Protest MCAS School Board
About 75 demand respect as they work without new contract.
MICHIGAN CITY - About 75 teachers with picket signs gathered outside the Michigan City Area Schools administration building before Tuesday night's School Board meeting.

Many signs addressed issues of respect. "We teach respect. Give us our due," one sign read.

Another simply stated, "No contract, no respect."

Tuesday was the 283rd day on which teachers have worked without a new contract, according to Michigan City Education Association President Phyllis Stark. Teachers have been working according to provisions of the old contract that expired June 30 last year.

Alex Muñoz, the 4-year-old son of Deanna Muñoz, a Mullen Elementary school teacher, carried a sign stating, "My mom pays $600 a month for insurance."

That's the price for a family plan, Deanna Muñoz said.

Teachers recently were taken to task by Tim Bietry, Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce president and former Michigan City High School principal, along with Mayor Chuck Oberlie. They object to a billboard teachers posted on U.S. 20.

According to Stark, the billboard - which announces "MCAS teachers have no confidence in their Superintendent, Michael Harding" - is not a negotiation ploy. She said the billboard is a simple no-confidence statement.

"We paid for it with teacher donations," Stark said, declining to say how much the billboard cost.

The no-confidence vote was taken by secret ballot Nov. 29, and 98 percent of 482 voting members voted in favor of the matter.

Teacher accuse Harding of not communicating with them.

"He doesn't respect our input," Stark said. One teacher, Amy Wojasinski-Labis, held a sign asking Oberlie for support for teachers.

"As a member of the community, as a taxpayer, I would like to have the mayor's support," she said.

At the board meeting, Bietry said the business community is frustrated because business people cannot find qualified employees. He said he thinks its ironic they ask for the community to be involved in the schools, but they hide behind a wall of secrecy about contract negotiations.

"You have two of your (chamber) members on the negotiating team," board member Jim Kintzele told Bietry. "They should know what's going on."

Micky Gallas, a member of the negotiating team, said, "We were told not to talk about negotiations."

Indiana law prohibits negotiating teachers contracts in public unless the parties reach an impasse and it becomes necessary to bring in a fact finder.

Stark said she is willing to meet with Harding about other matters any time. Gallas wanted to arrange the meeting for today.

Harding said he called Stark about five weeks ago to set up a meeting, but she did not return his call.

Stark left the administration center by the time Harding made that statement, and The News-Dispatch could not reach her later Tuesday night.

Policy change voted down

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Area Schools board voted down a proposed policy change Tuesday to require teachers to retain fourth-grade students not comprehending what they read at grade level.

Board member Beryle Burgwald, who introduced the matter, voted in favor of it, as did member Jim Kintzele. The final tally was 5-2.

Board vice president Kathy Lee said she thought the motion had "a lot of merit," but voted no, recommending the board consider that type of policy in the future.

Member Jeff Jones also voted against it.

"We have educational professionals," he said. "Why would we sit up here and presume to tell them how to teach reading?" - From Staff Reports
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=57895.04

MCAS: Memo Needs Further Negotiation
Memorandum now on the agenda for Thursday’s Park Board meeting.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Area Schools board didn't exactly vote down a negotiated memorandum of understanding Tuesday night between the board and the Michigan City Park and Recreation Board.

Rather, board members said the agreement requires further negotiation.

School Board president Clyde Zeek, Park Board president Phil Latchford and Mayor Chuck Oberlie recently talked about the use of school facilities for park activities.

Latchford and Zeek agreed to bring the resulting memorandum to their respective boards. The document is listed on the agenda for Thursday's Park Board meeting.

In a memo to board members, MCAS Superintendent Michael Harding said the memorandum appears "to be heavily slanted toward the positions taken past, present and future of the M.C. Parks and Recreation Department."

Harding said the memorandum contains contradictions to the Zilla Square Agreement of 1988.

That was when the park department agreed to give a portion of Zilla Square to MCAS for the enlargement of Marsh Elementary School. In return, the park board was granted no-charge access to school facilities when MCAS was not using the facilities.

The matter came to the boiling point when the Michigan City Girls Basketball Academy season was canceled for lack of an agreement on the use of MCAS gym space.

The school corporation's position was the team, a girls AAU team, could not be considered a park department program and was not entitled to use the facilities for no fee.

Others who request a fee waiver are required to make a request to the School Board. The AAU team did not make that request, Bob Falls, Michigan City High School athletic director, said March 25.

The board agreed a new negotiating committee should be formed. Zeek appointed himself and board member Jim Kintzele to represent the board, and said Harding should serve on the team as well.

He suggested two park board members and park superintendent Darrell Garbacik serve on the park department team.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 11 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Some more of the comments floating around...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41784.43

Sound Off! entry by: Tommy J

Teacher Negotiations
Please, please tell me who is on the MCAS negotiating team? The public needs to know. If not Super M. Harding, then whom do I voice my opinion. Tommy J
Editor's Note
Some of the negotiating members are Attorney Marsha Volk Bugalla and Micky Gallas. For the teachers, Phyllis Stark and Jen Buchanan.

Sound Off! entry by: disgusted

Well obviously for what they do they do not get paid enough. If you came to these schools TODAY to see what they're going through, and how they are viciously mistreated by their superintendent (I have no connections personally to the teachers, I just watch the board meetings, read the papers, listen to the radio, etc.), then maybe you would know how dire it is for their word to get noticed. I also wanted to note that I'm severly disapointed in Lee, who I voted for originally during the elections. Her votes make no sense whatsoever, especially with the way she speaks. It seems like she's playing it like a game show, and she wants to fake the audience out with a shocking vote or something, I mean, come on. It seems like we only have two board members anymore who actually realize how these situations must be dealt with, not with fighting or being stubborn, but by COMPROMISING. The teacher's have obviously tried this, and are getting ignored by Harding, even with a negotiations board. He's obviously unqualified for his job. Look at the statistics. Things didn't get this bad until Harding came, and they're just worsening. But that's just MY opinion.

Sound Off! entry by: K

Teachers' Billboard
It seems that the other choice missing from today's poll would be the News Dispatch as the apple in the worm. I guess when there the Editor feels that if the story is not juicy enough he/she should find a better way to sell. That is called sensationalizing the story. You talk about airing dirty laundry, isn't that what you have just done? Don't point fingers and pick sides because you eat this up!

Sound Off! entry by: John Scheimann

Teachers' Billboard
How many citizens of Michigan City attend our school board meetings? I have and I can tell you that few attend. We teachers put our sentiments up on the billboard to draw public attention to this situation; not to embarrass our community. If businesses and some realtors along with OUR mayor have a problem with teachers airing their opinion about the Superintendent of MCAS; then I believe they should write or phone Michael Harding and members of the School Board to inquire about the real reasons for the lack of progress in settling the contract. We teachers have now worked for 285 days WITHOUT a new contract. We are NOT being treated as professionals by our school superintendent. If you visit the school's website and read the Superintendent's message, he says that negotiations are going well. How would Mr. Harding know anything about the negotiations when he does not participate? Please do not simply blame teachers for using a billboard to get our message out. Get involved in your schools. Attend school board meetings. Speak to board members. Speak to Michael Harding. Write to board members and Mr. Harding. See if they respond to your questions. If they do not, then ask yourself if they are representing you r interests and those of your children. If they are not, then demand they be replaced. This is a democracy--the board members were elected by the people. The superintendent was hired by the school board. Teachers were hired by the school board. Utilize your power in this CRISIS!
Editor's Note
Unfortunately, neither the administration, the school board nor the teacher's union wants to enlighten the public to the problems.

Sound Off! entry by: judy ritchie

I fail to see where the teachers are truly earning their pay. Excuse me, teachers never went on strike when I was in school. There was no such thing. Teachers used to be dedicated to teaching the children. They seemed to care about them. Now, they complain about how much insurance they have to pay. hello, so does everyone else! And how about the many days off they get for this and that and the other thing. They seem to be there for a job only and don't really care about teaching our kids anything. But that's MY OPINION.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 11 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #16

WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE GO TAKE A PIC OF THIS BILLBOARD AND POST IT?!?!?!?! I'M JUST DYING TO SEE IT. PLEEEEAAAAAAASSSEEE!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 11 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #17

Let me try to get over there this weekend...
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 11 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #18

(breathy) THANK YOU. (heavy sigh of relief)

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 11 2008, 10:23 PM
Post #19

I have to admit that I am pretty ate up over Judy Ritchie's letter in soundoff. So ate up, that I had to post a response. Normally, I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I am pretty damn proud of my response.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=1919.354

Sound Off! entry by: Ang

Teachers
In response to Judy Ritchie, I am not a teacher. I used to work for the MCAS as a secretary. I worked at Plant Planning and at the High School. I happen to know how much time the teachers spend at school working and how much time they spend at home working. I will agree that there are greedy teachers who are only in it for the money and bennies. However, a large majority of those teachers do what they do because they love the kids and are concerned about our future. They do what they do for the love of the kids, not the love of the money. It is frustrating for them to be in the situation they are in. Let's change the scenario a little to see if you can understand their plight. Say you work for Family Express. Your boss says, "I will pay you for 40 hours of work, but only for 9 months out of the year. You can have some time off in the summer and over Christmas, but I still expect you complete all of your assigned duties, even though I'm not going to pay you for that time. Also, I would like you to come in an hour early, and stay two hours later, but I'm not going to pay you for that time. I know you love your job and the customers, but your dedication means nothing to me. Oh, and while were at it, please take this paperwork home with you and complete it this evening. I expect you to bring it back with you in the morning. I'm not going to pay you for the work you do for me at home either. Finally, I know all the surrounding Family Expresses pay more, but I am going to pay you less. We live in Michigan City and our store doesn't have enough money to pay you the same wages because we have so many managers we can't afford the extra payroll." Would you continue to work there? I don't think so. In regards to the insurance, the MCAS teachers are grossly underpaid. $600/mo for family health insurance is insane! That's a house payment, or two car payments. Would you pay that much for your health insurance if you were making less than $30K/yr? Could you afford to pay that much, on top of house payments, groceries, car payment and auto insurance? I know I couldn't.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
southyards
post Apr 12 2008, 08:03 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 783

To those who cannot understand the teachers position with regards to Michigan City Schools: These teachers are more than earning their pay! To begin with, they have already invested a large sum of money and time in their years of college education to earn their basic degree and then more time and money in the compulsory Continuing Education Process required to remain a teacher. I believe that just about all teachers start out with the best of intentions, or they would have not gone to the trouble to join this profession. After the first year or so, they begin to realize (at least in this geographical area) what the truth actually is. In far too many cases, they are forced to become glorified babysitters, with their hands tied by a basically inept educational system, mountains of rules, parents who think their children can do no wrong and are continually making excuses why little Johnny didn’t bring in his homework or they just can’t understand why he didn’t receive a better grade (when, clearly, it was not warranted). Students who should not be advanced to the next grade are routinely passed, because, in the real world, this is what the teachers are expected to do. Students who should be in special education classes are left in their original classrooms, thereby using additional resources and disrupting normal classroom activities. And. . . . . . there’s no need to go into the lack of respect shown by far too many students (if they can be called that) to teachers; the headlines and police briefs speak for themselves. Some people complain about the time teachers have off “for this and that”, well, any time a teacher is entitled to have off is spelled out in their contract; so get over it – this is usual and customary practice. Of course what is not spelled out is the significant amount of personal time they need to spend grading papers, making out lesson plans and attending parent/teacher meetings to listen to all to many parents whine, rant, and want special treatment for their child. Teachers have bills to pay, just like everyone else, and when their health insurance almost doubles for lack of responsible management by school administrators, of course they complain. And when they schedule meetings with the Superintendent of Schools and he continually chooses not to attend, of course they complain. Anyone would. (Anyone interested could do worse than to check out the record of the current Superintendent when he held the same position at New Prairie Schools in New Carlisle). The amount of time that has passed without our teachers having an updated contract is a disgrace. And those who complain about “teachers wanting too much” should be quiet and be thankful that there are those who still choose this profession. Times have changed, yes. The “old” values that teachers should be dedicated to their profession and think of their students first are still good values – always have been. It’s just that when the times changed, so have the rules of the game; to survive financially and to ensure a secure future for themselves and their families, the teachers need to be heard without repeatedly getting the double-shuffle. And, all of this being said, it is fortunately still a fact that there are still good parents, good students, and good administrators out there. If they could all get on the same page at the same time and bring others on board, now that would really be something!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:04 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com