Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bank willing to donate Y to City
j4katz
post Feb 4 2011, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,051

At the Park Department Board meeting last night, its attorney announced that Centier Bank is willing to donate the YMCA building to Michigan City!!!!!!

This post has been edited by southsiderMMX: Feb 5 2011, 08:53 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 4 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(wakester @ Feb 4 2011, 07:16 AM) *

At the Park Department Board meeting last night, its attorney announced that Centier Bank is willing to donate the YMCA building to Michigan City!!!!!!

That building is trashed. From what I understand, it needs at least a million dollars in repairs, if not multiple millions. It was in bad shape when it closed 3 years ago, let alone being without occupations for 3.5 years.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 4 2011, 09:20 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 4 2011, 08:21 AM) *

That building is trashed. From what I understand, it needs at least a million dollars in repairs, if not multiple millions. It was in bad shape when it closed 3 years ago, let alone being without occupations for 3.5 years.

2 million is about 4.5 million less than the master plan calls for! I just want to know why such a no brainer took so damm long to make. I wonder though if it is to late, like Southsider says. The location is almost the exact center of Michigan City. Even if it were torn down and rebuilt in phases I would be all for it. Think about it........1 million for a splash pad or a revitalzed YMCA building. What would you have done if you were on the park board?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 4 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 4 2011, 09:20 PM) *

2 million is about 4.5 million less than the master plan calls for! I just want to know why such a no brainer took so damm long to make. I wonder though if it is to late, like Southsider says. The location is almost the exact center of Michigan City. Even if it were torn down and rebuilt in phases I would be all for it. Think about it........1 million for a splash pad or a revitalzed YMCA building. What would you have done if you were on the park board?

The Y needed a million dollars worth of work three and a half years ago, before it was shutdown. I know that for a fact. I also know there was mold in the building then.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 5 2011, 08:51 AM
Post #5

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...c3962710214.txt

YMCA may become city parks building

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, February 4, 2011 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — The city may acquire the former YMCA building on Coolspring Avenue and rehab it into a recreation center and office space.

The announcement by park board attorney Jeff Katz at Thursday’s park board meeting that Centier Bank is willing to donate the building to the city could alter park department plans to build a new building in Washington Park.

Financial woes closed the YMCA in 2007 when the facility lost its charter from the national YMCA to run a facility. The building, which had a pool, basketball court and other amenities, has been shuttered for years and will require, by one estimate, at least $400,000, to make it usable.

That’s a low estimate, Katz said, in part because the park department would want to make it more than simply usable.

“If we’re going to take on this task we need to do more than just make it usable,” he said. “We need to make it usable in a first class manner.”

Several park department functions could utilize a rehabbed YMCA building, Katz said.

“It will impact the necessity of the park board building a park office down in Washington Park,” he said. “I would imagine that the (YMCA) could serve a lot of the functions of the park office.”

The park department would still need some space in Washington Park, Katz said.

Park board members said they were excited by the possibility of using the YMCA.

“I look forward to seeing what we can do with that property,” board member Bryant Dabney said.

Katz said that several steps remain before the city can accept the more than 40,000 square foot facility. He said residents, the Common Council and the mayor will need to consider whether it’s an investment they want to make.

“It’s easy to accept a donation,” he said, “but you’ve got to do it sensibly, you gotta make sure that you’ve got a funding sources to make this a good operation”

The park board authorized in January a needs-assessment study as part of its effort to replace the mold-plagued former administration building. Staff left the building for the Michigan City Senior Center in October.
+Quote Post
UTBMC
post Feb 5 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,063

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 4 2011, 10:20 PM) *

Apples and oranges comparisons of the Y building vs. the building in a master plan, and the City would have also had to purchase the property first, for whatever the price tag was, and invest on top of that to rehab. (SS’r probably knows what the sell price was.)

If I recall correctly, the master plan illustrated a conceptual (idea) multi-use building for the community (as well as park headquarters) that could also generate revenue. Investing in lakefront property for the community (the city’s greatest asset as many proclaim) seems more advantageous then investing in other property that is not, if return on investment is a criteria. I suppose you would have to ask the bank why it took so long to offer to donate, but certainly, no one purchased it because it will take millions to rehab it, as SS’r correctly points out. Hefty annual investment to keep it up and operate thereafter. Interesting prospect though.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 6 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(UTBMC @ Feb 5 2011, 04:20 PM) *

Apples and oranges comparisons of the Y building vs. the building in a master plan, and the City would have also had to purchase the property first, for whatever the price tag was, and invest on top of that to rehab. (SS’r probably knows what the sell price was.)

If I recall correctly, the master plan illustrated a conceptual (idea) multi-use building for the community (as well as park headquarters) that could also generate revenue. Investing in lakefront property for the community (the city’s greatest asset as many proclaim) seems more advantageous then investing in other property that is not, if return on investment is a criteria. I suppose you would have to ask the bank why it took so long to offer to donate, but certainly, no one purchased it because it will take millions to rehab it, as SS’r correctly points out. Hefty annual investment to keep it up and operate thereafter. Interesting prospect though.

New Park Office Building
1 Building $4,710,000.00
2 Site Work and Utilities $90,000.00
3 Office asphalt parking lot $100,089.00
4 Office parking lot striping $1,836.00
5 Landscaping $10,000.00
6 Design $384,000.00
7 Construction Admin, Inspection, etc. $336,000.00
TOTAL $5,631,925.00

This is from the Parks Dept Master plan. As for a multi use facility, it is to include a bath house and maybe a hotdog stand the rest offices. And yes, this building will have operating and maint. costs as well.

the city’s greatest asset as many proclaim are the people and well worth the investment of a year round full use facility like the YMCA, if it has deteriorated beyond repair so be it. Tear it down and build the $5.6 million dollar building in it's place. First get the members of the park board and those on the city council out of here for not grabbing it at I think it was $400,000 auction price. The same two government bodies that aproved and spent a cool million on the splash pad.
+Quote Post
UTBMC
post Feb 6 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 6 2011, 01:06 AM) *

New Park Office Building
1 Building $4,710,000.00
5 Landscaping $10,000.00
6 Design $384,000.00
TOTAL $5,631,925.00

This is from the Parks Dept Master plan. As for a multi use facility, it is to include a bath house and maybe a hotdog stand the rest offices. And yes, this building will have operating and maint. costs as well.
the city’s greatest asset as many proclaim are the people and well worth the investment of a year round full use facility like the YMCA, if it has deteriorated beyond repair so be it. Tear it down and build the $5.6 million dollar building in it's place. First get the members of the park board and those on the city council out of here for not grabbing it at I think it was $400,000 auction price. The same two government bodies that aproved and spent a cool million on the splash pad.

Perhaps definition of Master Plan is in order: a general plan or program for achieving objectives.

You are not mentioning pages of additional items and not complete with what was extracted from the MP for that building (i.e., the rest offices is not accurate) AND certainly Washington Park as a whole. There are many narrative and descriptions throughout the MP, and a proposal for an actual project for a new building with a budget of any sort has never been proposed. The facility was intended to work with other attractions as part of the MP as a whole to benefit locals (citizens) and visitors to WP. (One of the complimentary attractions was the splash pad, which I agree should not have cost what it did.) It also included space that could be rented for receptions, parties, meetings, etc., which duel served as a base for the day camp program. Expansion of the building to meet current needs was important criteria, and space for lifeguard and security/police/emergency response to lakefront could be accomplished as well. MP also tagged an estimate of $700,000 to rehab the current building, but that it would not solve many issues and needs listed, or meet other goals and onjectives of the MP, so an idea for a new facility was included with rough estimates to accomplish it.

Not saying the Y would not be enjoyed by citizens, and agree they are great assets. My “asset” statement was in context to real estate and return on investment. It will be interesting to see how many millions of taxpayer (citizens) cost will be required to rehab and then operate on an annual basis the Y building and it’s amenities, and if the citizens still want it and the city takes it. The annual costs (and capital needs) were major factors why the Y lost it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2011, 09:58 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 6 2011, 12:06 AM) *

New Park Office Building
1 Building $4,710,000.00
5 Landscaping $10,000.00
6 Design $384,000.00
TOTAL $5,631,925.00

And from first hand experience, HUGE operating and maintenance costs. $10,000+ NIPSCO bills were common during the winter months.

I also agree that the City screwed up in the way that they handled this situation. If my math is right, and the reports are as well, Michigan City knew about their park HQs mold problems at about the same time the YMCA was circling the drain financially. When the mayor came in to talk about the Y's problems, his exact response was "If I help you, then I have to help everyone else."
+Quote Post
UTBMC
post Feb 6 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 6 2011, 10:58 AM) *

And from first hand experience, HUGE operating and maintenance costs. $10,000+ NIPSCO bills were common during the winter months.

I also agree that the City screwed up in the way that they handled this situation. If my math is right, and the reports are as well, Michigan City knew about their park HQs mold problems at about the same time the YMCA was circling the drain financially. When the mayor came in to talk about the Y's problems, his exact response was "If I help you, then I have to help everyone else."

I think I agree with you Ss’r…Yes the city/parks identified its issues and had its MP to address the issues within the WP Master Plan, and yes the plan did not include the YMCA whatsoever. I also think we are tossing more fruit salad here – two separate issues all together - WP MP vs. city helping out the Y.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 6 2011, 02:46 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(UTBMC @ Feb 6 2011, 10:24 AM) *

I think I agree with you Ss’r…Yes the city/parks identified its issues and had its MP to address the issues within the WP Master Plan, and yes the plan did not include the YMCA whatsoever. I also think we are tossing more fruit salad here – two separate issues all together - WP MP vs. city helping out the Y.

The park department master plan was compiled from a survey that had 18 pre-determined ideas. It was completed by 108 people, 74 of of them were actual Michigan City residents. It was not looking for ideas it was telling us about theirs. What it does not represent is the fact that every single structured activity by the parks dept. between route 12 and route 20 has been removed, gone.
Michigan City the only lake front community on the great lakes with a dwindling population. We do have some problems. The top five things people look for when relocating are:
1. Schools (MCAS are in a bit of a mess, but I have a high hope the new admin. is on the right track)
2. Entertainment (dinning, theater, art and things of that nature. MC is making progress in this area)
3. Family activities (little league, recreation centers, YMCA, skate parks, swimming pools, structured activities in the actual neighborhoods) we fail bad in this area.
4. Churches (this is an area that we may acually have an over abundace of)
5. coming in at number 5. is Jobs (people are willing to travel to a job if the community have addressed 1-4 with smart planning. There is a message board that tells folks that have been transfered to Michigan City for their job, to look for housing in Chesterton or New Buffalo. The central location for a community center park office is a huge step in changing that. Now is the time to reverse 35 years of shrinking the population.)
We need to invest in the community not develop the Asset of the Lake front, it is an asset because of its natural beauty not its buildings. There is no need for a lake side office period.
+Quote Post
UTBMC
post Feb 6 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #12

[quote name='lovethiscity' date='Feb 6 2011, 03:46 PM' post='30821']
The park department master plan was compiled from a survey that had 18 pre-determined ideas. It was completed by 108 people, 74 of of them were actual Michigan City residents. It was not looking for ideas it was telling us about theirs.

Not accurate; rather, from the MP itself:

The planning committee formulated a list of goals and consideration tasks. These are included in the appendix. The Park Department advertised and conducted public meetings to explain the planning process and to seek stakeholder input. Presentations or workshop sessions with these same goals in mind were conducted with the Michigan City Council, the Port Authority and to several local service leagues, including the Rotary Club and The Kiwanis Club. A public survey (included in Appendix) was developed and distributed throughout the community. Members of the Committee spoke to many people individually during the composition of this plan and received many thoughts on the improvements Washington Park should implement. The committee gained valuable insights from the public meetings, presentations and survey results and incorporated this knowledge into developing and refining the planning process.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 9 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...17306213992.txt

YMCA offer stirs cautious optimism
By Matt Field
Staff Writer

Published: Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:07 PM CST

MICHIGAN CITY — Mayoral candidates are taking an optimistic, wait-and-see approach to Michigan City possibly acquiring the former YMCA building for use as an office and recreation center.

Centier Bank offered to donate the dilapidated facility to the city to be run by the Parks & Recreation Department, park board attorney Jeff Katz has said. Mayoral candidates want to accept the offer, but with some stipulations.

Common Councilman Ron Meer said the city should “seize the opportunity” and acquire the building in the 1000 block of East Coolspring Avenue for park offices or other purposes.

“If they just gave it to us and we had to demolish the entire thing, the property is valuable to the city because of the location and we could still rebuild a facility there,” he said.

Meer said he went into the building on a job when he worked for the Sanitary District and saw leaking roofs and damaged flooring.

“Now, after three years of not being heated and air conditioned, you’ve got the extreme cold and extreme heat,” he said. “Those take a real toll on a building.”

Katz said an earlier assessment of the building that put renovation costs at $400,000 was probably low.

Candidate Jim LaRocco said he would take the bank up on its offer, under certain conditions and after a cost-benefit analysis.

“We would be taking a vacant building and putting it to good use,” he wrote in a press release Friday. “It could provide park offices, a senior center and a possible community center all in one place and with one price tag.”

Common Councilman Bob McKee also said the city should look into the accepting the building and consider the cost of rehabbing it.

“I think it could be, and I’d have to underline and highlight could be, a real positive thing,” he said.

Candidate Joie Winski cited the slow economy as a reason to consider the costs associated with accepting the building.

“I think that this community could use a community center,” she said. “However, at this tough economic time, I’m not sure this is the time to really take on a large debt. ... I’d like to see the monetary investment.”

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 9 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

I came across this footage from the 1992 Michigan City YMCA Corporate Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwkQziWMyQ

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have an event like this again?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 9 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Feb 9 2011, 02:21 PM) *

I came across this footage from the 1992 Michigan City YMCA Corporate Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkwkQziWMyQ

Wouldn't it be nice if we could have an event like this again?

As I understand it, the gym is pretty much trashed right now. Apparently there is not a pane of glass left, and some kids broke in and built skate ramps on the gym floor. I'm no scientist, but I know skateboards and basketball floors don't mix.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 10 2011, 11:16 AM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...bf581644652.txt

Mayor: YMCA building may be an opportunity or a boondoggle

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:08 PM CST

MICHIGAN CITY — Mayor Chuck Oberlie weighed in on the city’s possible acquisition of a dilapidated former YMCA building for the purpose of turning it into a park building.

In a letter dated Monday to Parks & Recreation Department Superintendent Jan Orlich, the mayor warned that acquiring the building — which will require at least $400,000 of renovation, by one estimate — might be a great opportunity or boondoggle.

He asked Orlich to compile renovation, maintenance and programming costs for bringing the building up to a “first-class facility,” and to find out how renovating the YMCA, which closed in 2007, would impact plans to build a new facility in Washington Park.

The mayor asked Orlich to consider whether the park department needs the facility, pointing out that there are buildings in town with pools, for instance. In an interview Tuesday he questioned whether the city could afford the costs of providing programming at a new recreation center.

He said the city can only get so much revenue from property taxes and that it would be difficult for the park department to find money to pay for additional programming.

“If you’re going to add expenses there, that means you’re looking at somebody else’s budget to take it away from,” he said. “So they’re going to have to tell us who.”

Park officials have previously argued they need to have an office in Washington Park to oversee operations there, the mayor said, and the idea that the old YMCA on Coolspring Avenue could serve as an office calls those statements into question.

“If ... rehabbing that building is simply an opportunity for an office, we have space in this (city hall) that they can move into tomorrow,” he said.

The park and Port Authority boards have already authorized a needs assessment study to assess a joint building.

Several mayoral candidates vying to replace Oberlie have sounded optimistic about the city accepting the property in the 1000 block of East Coolspring Avenue from Centier Bank.

Park board attorney Jeff Katz announced that the bank was willing to donate the building Thursday. He has said it could be used as a recreation center and a park office.

City officials have been considering a permanent home for park staff since they left the department’s mold-plagued administration building in October.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 16 2011, 09:23 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 9 2011, 05:32 PM) *

As I understand it, the gym is pretty much trashed right now. Apparently there is not a pane of glass left, and some kids broke in and built skate ramps on the gym floor. I'm no scientist, but I know skateboards and basketball floors don't mix.

It just so happens that I am a scientist. Demolish it and build a new community center. Just like when the old Garfield school building was torn down and the fire station at 11th & Ohio St went up. What I want to know is how did we ever go from hosting an annual corporate company olympics to being trashed, run down, moldy and abandoned? Anybody been to the Y facility in Valpo?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 16 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...62415054814.txt

Park board attorney denies conflict of interest over land, YMCA property

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 5:07 PM CST

MICHIGAN CITY — The Parks & Recreation board attorney who recently announced a bank is willing to donate the former YMCA building to the city owns land surrounding the property.

Attorney Jeff Katz, who is a property developer with a 50-percent stake in The Paragon Group, denied Monday he had a conflict of interest in reaching out to Centier Bank about donating the roughly 5-acre former YMCA property.

“I do not believe that my representation of the park board and ownership of the land adjacent to the YMCA is a conflict of interest because they were and are aware of my ownership interest,” he wrote in an e-mail.

Katz hopes to develop housing on the land adjacent to the old YMCA and called it common knowledge that he owns it.

Still, Katz acknowledged replacing a dilapidated, abandoned building — the Michigan City Family YMCA closed in 2007 — with a community center would be a boon to the area he hopes to develop. He said such a center would benefit the entire city and wouldn’t “be the factor in somebody buying a house.”

“Would my development benefit by having an active community center there?” Katz said. “I would think it would.”

The Paragon Group owns about 12 acres of land next to the former YMCA. Katz said the housing market is still too weak for a development.

Katz also is 50 percent owner of Coolwood Associates LLC, which developed Edgewood Forest, a 69-condominium development across the street from the former YMCA. Only one more unit remains to be sold.

In the e-mail, Katz wrote he recently toured the former YMCA, and it appeared to be structurally sound. He estimated it would need about $1 million in renovations, saying that’s a lot cheaper than the $8 million he estimated constructing a similar, new building would cost.

Hurdles still remain before the city can accept the facility. Katz called it a decision for the mayor and Common Council.

“It will require a revamping of the budget of the park department because the park department then moves to an operation where it has programming 12 months out of the year,” he said.

Mayor Chuck Oberlie questioned whether the city could come up with additional funding.

“How are you going to run the operations when you haven’t given your employees raises, you continue to raise out-of-pocket expenses (and) we continue to trim everybody’s budgets,” Oberlie said. “I still think we have all those pieces to bring together yet.”

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
j4katz
post Feb 16 2011, 02:50 PM
Post #19

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 1,051

I love being demonized for giving Michigan City an opportunity to improve the quality of life here.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(j4katz @ Feb 16 2011, 02:50 PM) *

I love being demonized for giving Michigan City an opportunity to improve the quality of life here.

The board is open. Feel free to tell your story
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:15 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com