> Top 100 Schools in the Nation
Ang
post Dec 5 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I came across this....

Indiana has one school on this list, waaayyyy down in Evansville.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/h...t.html?PageNr=1

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 5 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 5 2008, 03:08 PM) *

I came across this....

Indiana has one school on this list, waaayyyy down in Evansville.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/h...t.html?PageNr=1

I am honestly surprised we don't have some more schools in Indiana on the list. Even locally La Lumiere and Culver Military Academy are nationally known. Further out there are places like Carmel that have incredible school systems.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 5 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #3

I guess it was based on test scores. ha Ha no surprise there! And it's only public schools.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 5 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

Geez, this is so strange to think when I was in grade school, we had a wonderful status in the state. I was pretty small, so please forgive my lack of total recollection. I think we were voted as a All American City at the time. We had great results and a great curriculum.

I was so lucky to have some wonderful teachers that added personal touches to the classroom. Please bear with me. I started out at Jefferson school on Wabash, then Knapp. I was so fortunate to have Mrs. Wike for a teacher for two years at Knapp. She taught us square dancing, conservation, bird calls and was very adamant about handwriting. She was my hero. She brought so much into my life, I'll never forget her. She took the extra time to take us on small field trips around the local nature areas to teach us about plants and bird, etc.

I don't understand why we can't have better quality education? I wish I knew the answer.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 5 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 833

QUOTE(Homey @ Dec 5 2008, 07:21 PM) *

Geez, this is so strange to think when I was in grade school, we had a wonderful status in the state. I was pretty small, so please forgive my lack of total recollection. I think we were voted as a All American City at the time. We had great results and a great curriculum.

I was so lucky to have some wonderful teachers that added personal touches to the classroom. Please bear with me. I started out at Jefferson school on Wabash, then Knapp. I was so fortunate to have Mrs. Wike for a teacher for two years at Knapp. She taught us square dancing, conservation, bird calls and was very adamant about handwriting. She was my hero. She brought so much into my life, I'll never forget her. She took the extra time to take us on small field trips around the local nature areas to teach us about plants and bird, etc.

I don't understand why we can't have better quality education? I wish I knew the answer.

It starts at home people, it all starts at home, my five year old can read and she is not even in kindergarten. You want to know why? We work with with her! We don't flop her down in front of a TV or let the state tell us what to teach her. Does not hurt that both of her parents are smart college educated and might I add damn good looking. Well, OK, at least her mom is!

Joe
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 5 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I guess my point was the teachers, back in the day, were given more freedom with classroom activities, which, in my experience led to a fuller learning experience. I don't think what I was fortunately able to receive from her would be allowed in the current adminstration.
Granted, she did most of these things out of her own heart. It's a treasure that I hold till this day.

It's a whole new world now. I wouldn't know where to start with some of the social issues and bad parenting.

Can I add one more thing?

When I decided to go back to work when my kids were small, I got a job at the M.C. Library. The things I saw left me in shock.
We had parents screaming at their kids in a place where some respect should be taught.
We had kids dropped of at the Library to be used as a babysitting service, unsupervised by a parent, until we closed at night. I don't know if they got dinner, or instructions to do homework...they were just hanging out. It was very sad.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Dec 6 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

The list is dominated with magnet and advanced placement schools, so it's not as bad as it appears. Indiana doesn't have as many magnet schools as other states. Still, our educational system could definitely be improved.

QUOTE(Homey @ Dec 5 2008, 09:32 PM) *

When I decided to go back to work when my kids were small, I got a job at the M.C. Library. The things I saw left me in shock.
We had parents screaming at their kids in a place where some respect should be taught.
We had kids dropped of at the Library to be used as a babysitting service, unsupervised by a parent, until we closed at night. I don't know if they got dinner, or instructions to do homework...they were just hanging out. It was very sad.

I'm sure no one on here needs to be reminded, but it isn't safe or appropriate to drop off young kids at the library. Kids under 10 aren't allowed to be in the library without a parent or guardian over 18, for the record. With that out of the way, there are a lot of teens that come to the library regularly, but I'm glad they feel comfortable there. Honestly, there's not that much for teens to do in this town, and there are worse places to hang out. We get to know all the teens that come in, and they seem more comfortable asking for help with school projects than they might be otherwise.

Oh, and using your "library voice" is good too. I hate having to shush people; I feel like such a stereotype. wink.gif
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 7 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 833

QUOTE(Michelle @ Dec 6 2008, 10:50 AM) *

The list is dominated with magnet and advanced placement schools, so it's not as bad as it appears. Indiana doesn't have as many magnet schools as other states. Still, our educational system could definitely be improved.
I'm sure no one on here needs to be reminded, but it isn't safe or appropriate to drop off young kids at the library. Kids under 10 aren't allowed to be in the library without a parent or guardian over 18, for the record. With that out of the way, there are a lot of teens that come to the library regularly, but I'm glad they feel comfortable there. Honestly, there's not that much for teens to do in this town, and there are worse places to hang out. We get to know all the teens that come in, and they seem more comfortable asking for help with school projects than they might be otherwise.

Oh, and using your "library voice" is good too. I hate having to shush people; I feel like such a stereotype. wink.gif

This is the one I loved, parents dropping kids off at the mall to let the wander around all day with no supervision. I have even seen them get off of the transporte by themselves and come into the mall. Free babysitting via MRQ Mall security

Joe
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 7 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Having been in retail management at MQT Mall, I have to agree with Joe on this one. However, if there were more "teen" places to go, they wouldn't have to hang out at the mall so much. When I was a teen we had a couple arcades, the roller rink, Howard's, the beach, and more. Sure, we hung out at the mall, but that was only to get an Orange Julius and go to Tilt. What is there for kids to do now besides go to the mall?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 8 2008, 09:32 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

When I was a teen, we did not require supervision. Nowadays, most kids I know are perfectly fine people, but they have no where to go. Can you imagine a nice burger/pizza joint with some kind of music and so forth on Cleveland right by the cinema?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 8 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #11

Sure, and a little dance floor with flashing lights. A teen club.

The American Legion has all ages shows every weekend for the kids here. They hire local bands and sell refreshments. There is a dance floor, mosh-pit, an outdoor smoking area that you have to be 18 to enter (ID required). There is like a $2-$3 cover to pay for the bands. My son used to go every weekend, now he only goes when he likes the band. Show is over and all kids out the door by 11. There is plenty of adult supervision and it gives the kids something to do on the weekends.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:56 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com