Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The YMCA building is closing
Southsider2k12
post Aug 16 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

We finally voted as a board last night, and we are going to maintain and fix our current facility. I will post the full News Dispatch article, along with a little more commentary later.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 16 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Aug 16 2007, 07:14 AM) *

We finally voted as a board last night, and we are going to maintain and fix our current facility. I will post the full News Dispatch article, along with a little more commentary later.

I think this is great news! I know my family has been involved in some way since the community meeting earlier this year, and we plan on keeping our promise to stay involved.

Good luck to the Y staff and to the board of directors as you venture forward!
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 16 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=3307
YMCA Decides To Remain Open
Board of directors says it will take steps to improve services

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - After months of speculation about moving or closing, Michigan City Family YMCA, 1001 E. Coolspring Ave., will stay in its current facilities.

The YMCA board of directors met for 2 1/2 hours Wednesday, part of that time with its advisory board, before emerging with the decision.

Board President Greg Tuel read from a prepared statement.

"We are taking serious steps to improve our service to the Michigan City community based on our evaluation of the organization and on the advice of our Advisory Council," he said.

Tuel said the first step in moving forward is to modify the YMCA strategic plan, now several years old. Based on input from a series of Town Hall meetings held earlier this year, Tuel said it's time for change.

"We decided to either change or become obsolete," Tuel said.

Although he didn't have specific figures on the gap between the YMCA's income and expenses, Tuel acknowledged there is a gap. He said the board will address the shortfall by using a combination of fundraising, operational changes along with new partnerships with community groups and potential donors.

Board member Mike Gresham said board members didn't know what was going to happen before the meeting.

During a break between the advisory council meeting and board meeting, Gresham said, "Everyone gave their opinion. We got some good financial information and a clear statement of our situation."

Advisory council members refused to discuss details, but said there was no clear-cut decision reached before they left.

"It went well," member Gerald Fedorchak said. "There was a sense of optimism in the room."

Michigan City's YMCA has been in the community for 100 years, and in its current building since 1972.

Part-time employee Cory Malnick, who was working the front desk Wednesday night, said membership as of April was 2,288. She said she loves working at the Y and has made many friends there.

She was hoping it wouldn't close for the sake of the children.

"I've seen kids grow up here from toddlers to teenagers," Malnick said. "We have to keep it going just for the kids. Where are they going to go?"
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 16 2007, 01:46 PM
Post #4

OK, now that the markets have started at least breathing again, I think I have a free second to talk... It was an interesting conversation to say the least. The decesion wasn't easy, but we got a lot of input and help from a lot of different community and business members who volunteered time and effort to help us come to the right choice. I know I can often be a critic, but to show I can give credit where credit is due, I do want to thank Mayor Oberlie for being in attendance last night, and for speaking his thoughts on this matter as well.

The road going forward will be tough. It might seem like the hardest part is behind us by deciding to stay open, but really the fun has only begun. Now we have to figure out how to reverse years of bad decesions and facility neglect, and parlay that into a modern facility that fits our community. Most of all we need everyone in Michigan City to join behind us in this effort. We can want to keep things going all we want, but if we do not have the community behind us, we will never get anywhere. Speficially we need membership, volunteers, and donations. We don't expect any one person to be able to rescue us, but we would like people to help where they can and to join our effort. Even if it is as a volunteer for an hour a week, every little bit helps.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 17 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #5

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50397.42

YMCA Rebounding
Board Of Directors Votes To Keep It Open

Editorial

The YMCA appeared to be on the brink of closing Wednesday, but by the time its board of directors finished meeting that evening, the board had resolved to keep the building open - and complete a strategic plan for boosting membership.

Only with additional membership can this 100-year-old institution survive, and that will take a commitment from area residents and businesses.

It's a daunting challenge, and one the Michigan City area needs to meet. The public must rally in support of the Y. To fail would be more than the loss of the YMCA, it would be a setback for Michigan City as a community, a setback that would raise the question of whether we can work together and get things done.

The YMCA is a valuable asset, providing a place of recreation for young and old, as well as many other programs, especially for children.

The YMCA building also is a huge asset, but it carries liabilities, too, including debt, needed repairs and ongoing maintenance and operating costs. While one option would have been to sell the building and start over, that might have been just as difficult as preserving the Y in place.

Either way, a lot of work must be done.

A strong business-minded board of directors will have to guide the Y toward financial stability, and along with its staff will have to provide the programs and recreational opportunities that build membership.

Repairs and improvements could be aided by the efforts of building trades students or trade union members, keeping the structure in good shape.

The public will need to be sold on the idea that the Y is a great place for them to keep in shape, with recreational activities, a first-rate gym and a fun place to be. The increased awareness of the need for exercise provides the Y with an opportunity to increase its membership.

Local businesses, organizations and workplaces could serve as a catalyst to save the Y, not merely by making donations, but by offering motivation to their employees to join the Y and participate in activities there.

The YMCA board is brave to undertake the saving of the community Y, and it will take a lot of hard work on their part, and on the part of everyone in the community.

Let's get behind the Y, for the sake of the community.

The Issue: Just when it appeared to be curtains for the YMCA, the board summoned the resolve to keep it going.

Our Opinion: The board is to be commended for not giving up. The job of keeping the YMCA running is going to be difficult, and the entire community must join in. It would be a huge setback if we fail.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Aug 22 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

I saw the sign outside the Y: Why do they want land???
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 22 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Aug 22 2007, 02:05 PM) *

I saw the sign outside the Y: Why do they want land???

Actually, it's a sign advertising an opening for land aerobics instructors (since they also offer water aerobics at the Y)....not asking for land. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 28 2007, 01:30 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

How sad that more members of our community havn't come forward to help make things work, and to help keep it alive.

Lights Out At YMCA

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

MICHIGAN CITY - The lights went out at the Michigan City Family YMCA late Monday afternoon.

Monday was the deadline imposed on the Y by Northern Indiana Public Service Co. to pay at least $10,000 it owed on its electric bill or face having its electric service cut off.

Greg Tuel, president of the YMCA board, said Monday afternoon the board was meeting at 10 p.m. Monday, and said he could not speak to the NIPSCO bill or other YMCA issues until after the meeting. That meeting was too late for its details to be included in today's News-Dispatch.

Early Monday afternoon, Chris Fischer, interim director of the YMCA, when asked about the electricity, said the building had electrical power, but he declined further comment.

But by 5 p.m., the doors at the YMCA were locked, the building was dark and a sign taped on the locked front door announced, "Attention, YMCA Members - due to a power outage, the YMCA will be closed until the problem is resolved. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you, YMCA Staff."

While no one from the YMCA would discuss whether NIPSCO had shut off the Y's power, a brief tour of the neighborhood near the Y at 1001 Coolspring Ave. showed neighboring buildings all appeared to have electrical power.

Jim Fitzer, a spokesman for NIPSCO, said electricity had been restored to customers who lost power due to last week's storms by Sunday evening.

"I'm not aware of any other power outages in the area," he said Monday. "But if there are people still without power, we hope they will call." The company doesn't discuss individual customer's billing issues.

The YMCA has been dealing with serious financial matters, including mounting debt, since the first part of the year, after former director Bruce Zahn resigned.

On Aug. 15, the YMCA board met for several hours, then announced it will stay in its current building and work on a strategy for continuing operations.

At earlier community meetings, some had suggested closing the building and making a new beginning, perhaps from a small storefront location.

"We are taking serious steps to improve our service to the Michigan City community based on our evaluation of the organization and on the advice of our Advisory Council," Tuel said on Aug. 15.

He said then the board will modify its strategic plan, which is several years old. It's time for a change, he said, a sense he got from meetings with the boards and with the community.

"We decided to either change or become obsolete," Tuel said Aug. 15.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 28 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #9

A couple of things...

NIPSCO did turn off the power. They want a full payment of $50,000 to turn it back on again. I guess after all of the OT from this weekend, they need to make it back somewhere...

The financial problems began long before Bruce Zahn left the YMCA. They have been going on for decades. It is just recently that the board has begun in ernest to try to find solutions for those problems, and have begun involving the entire community.

We are at the mercy of NIPSCO and the community right now. If they say they want X amount of dollars, we pretty much have two choices, pay them what they want, or stay closed. At this point, NIPSCO has decided that the money is more important than the mission of the Y, and there is not much we can do about that. For those who would like to help, you can still contact the Y at 872-9622 or call our director Chris Fischer at 219-309-7762 to make a donation to help re-open our doors. You can also contact me directly here or through my email.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 29 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=3765

YMCA: 7 Days, $40K

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - In a late Monday night meeting, members of the Michigan City Family YMCA board resolved to raise $40,000 in seven days, said Greg Tuel, president of the board.

The meeting was held after NIPSCO disconnected electrical service to the building at 1001 Coolspring Ave. late Monday afternoon, Tuel said. The utility had given the YMCA a Monday deadline to pay at least $10,000 of what it owed on its past due electric bill. If that amount was not paid, NIPSCO told the YMCA electricity would be shut off.

Tuel couldn't say when the power would be restored, but said the board continues to negotiate with NIPSCO while at the same time it is working to raise money for the financially troubled organization.

In addition to the $40,000 that needs to be raised within seven days, Tuel said, the YMCA also needs to raise $25,000 per month for the next four months to keep operating.

Board members are dialing for dollars, Tuel said. They are contacting members of the business community as well as individuals.

"Now is the time for the community to step up," he said, "especially those who want to see us continue to operate in that building."

Already, board members as well as members of an advisory council that was created to provide financial advice to the board have made significant contributions, Tuel said. "I made my contribution."

The Rev. Charles Doyle, a retired Catholic priest who lives in the immediate neighborhood of the Y, said he has used the facility to swim and do aerobic exercising.

He has had cardiac bypass surgery and says his physician recommends the exercise.

On Tuesday morning, he said he went to the Duneland Health and Wellness Institute in Chesterton, which is operated by St. Anthony Memorial and its sister hospitals in Lake County.

"It's a beautiful place," he said of the Chesterton facility, "but I live just a couple if blocks from the Y."

Pat Turk is another member, and a former board member, who uses the Y for exercise. She swims laps for an hour three times a week.

"I have to do it for my heart conditions," she said.

"I'm 75, almost 76," she noted. Turk said swimming also benefits her arthritis. On some mornings, she said, she uses a cane to get from her house to her car and then from her car into the Y. "After swimming, I don't need my cane," she said.

She believes the board can reach its goal of raising $40,000 in a week.

"I also think Mayor Oberlie should support the Y with some city money," she said.

Tuel said he believes the Y is worth saving and he is confident the community will respond to the call for help.

"When I was in the Peace Corps, I saw people overcome and then thrive after facing much greater obstacles," said Tuel, who heads the math and science department at St. Paul Lutheran School.

Tuel said that he is naturally optimistic, but added that his hope is bolstered by what he calls "a solid plan" the board adopted Monday night.

That plan includes recruitment of new board members with a goal of increasing the size and strength of the board, which now has five members.

"There's a lot at stake here," Tuel said.

The lobby of the YMCA will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday to accept contributions, he said. Donors who would prefer to mail a check may send it to the Michigan City Family YMCA, 1001 Coolspring Ave., Michigan City, IN 46360.

For more information, call the Y at 872-YMCA or (219) 309-7762.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 29 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

"I'm 75, almost 76," she noted. Turk said swimming also benefits her arthritis. On some mornings, she said, she uses a cane to get from her house to her car and then from her car into the Y. "After swimming, I don't need my cane," she said.

She believes the board can reach its goal of raising $40,000 in a week.

"I also think Mayor Oberlie should support the Y with some city money," she said.

Is that a challenge I hear?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 29 2007, 10:20 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 29 2007, 11:05 AM) *

Is that a challenge I hear?

At this point, it is a community wide challenge. Anyone and everyone who wants to see the Y stick around is on the clock now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 30 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #13

The AP wire has picked up our story... It is being printed as far away as Indianapolis. Also for those who want to help, the YMCA phone numbers ARE NOT working now. You would need to call (219) 309-7762 to pledge support, or you can contact me here directly.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti.../LOCAL/70829028

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. — The local YMCA has closed while it scrambles to raise $40,000 to pay immediate debts — including an electric bill that is so overdue the power has been turned off.

Northern Indiana Public Service Co. gave the Michigan City Family YMCA a Monday deadline to pay at least $10,000 of what it owned on the electric bill, but the organization couldn’t come up with the money, board President Greg Tuel said.

The board hopes to raise $40,000 this week, but will need more than that for long-term operations.

“There’s a lot bigger goal,” said Chris Fischer, the YMCA’s executive director. “This has been an accumulation of years of problems. Raising $40,000 is just to clear up initial bills.”

The YMCA in the city along Lake Michigan has been closed since its electricity was turned off Monday, Fischer said. Officials were unsure of when enough money might be raised to get the power back and the facility running.

Board members are calling residents and businesses seeking donations, Tuel said.

“Now is the time for the community to step up, especially those who want to see us continue to operate in that building,” he said.

Pat Turk, a 75-year-old member who uses the facility for exercise, said she hoped the YMCA raises the money soon so she can continue swimming there three times a week.

“I have to do it for my heart conditions,” she said.

The YMCA is also looking at long-term changes that could help it improve financially.

“We’re looking at all options,” Tuel said.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 30 2007, 07:13 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3

Are contributions tax-deductible?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 30 2007, 07:15 AM
Post #15

Every penny of them is tax deductable.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 31 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48410.43

New Goals, But New Problem For YMCA?
A Three-Year Plan Is Released, But There Is A Threat To Its Charter In September.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Greg Tuel, president of the board of the Michigan City Family YMCA, has released what's called "Rebuilding the YMCA, a Three Year Plan."

Release of the plan comes a day after NIPSCO disconnected electricity at the YMCA building at 1001 Coolspring Ave. for not paying the utility bill. The Y hopes to raise $40,000 by Saturday.

The ambitious recovery document focuses on fundraising, debt elimination, repair and maintenance of the building, member recruitment and taking a tough look at programming with an eye to eliminating less popular programs.

It includes belt-tightening measures as well, such as a cut in spending over the next four months by $10,000 and a 10 percent reduction in wages and utility bills beginning in September.

The plan calls for raising enough money to "eliminate accounts payable by Jan. 1, 2008. To do that, the board would need to raise at least $100,000.

The board is counting on raising $7,000 of that figure from board members.

If the YMCA is able to clear its financial hurdle, on Sept. 18, it faces another when it is up for possible termination of its charter. Local Y officials will have an opportunity to make their case for recertification to the YMCA of the USA Regional Board of Certification. The regional board then will make a recommendation to the national board in October.

Should the national board decide to terminate, the local Y will have an opportunity to appeal.

According to Brad McDermott, senior communications manager for YMCA of the USA, the organization holds each individual Y, known as a YMCA association, to certain membership standards. Speaking from YMCA national headquarters in Chicago, McDermott said he could not discuss the business of an individual Y, but spoke of the standards.

"Each YMCA association is autonomous," McDermott said, "but we do manage the certification process, which takes place annually."

Every association must accept and support the mission of the YMCA. In addition, the Y's governing documents must say the local body will organize and operate in a manner described by the national organization.

"Each year, each YMCA association must submit an annual report to YMCA of the USA," McDermott said. That report is to include a financial report.

If an association fails to meet the standards, McDermott said, its certification is placed on conditional status. If it remains on conditional status for three consecutive years, he said, it can be reviewed for termination of its charter.

Although he would not discuss the local situation, he said it safe to assume that an association whose charter is up for termination review has been on a conditional status for at least three years.

"There's a lot at stake here," Tuel said, adding he hopes the community -- especially those who want to see the YMCA continue in its present building -- will show their support with their dollars.

The lobby of the YMCA is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday to accept contributions. Donors who would prefer to mail a check may send it to the Michigan City Family YMCA, 1001 Coolspring Ave., Michigan City, IN 46360.

For more information, call the Y (219) 309-7762.

q

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 31 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #17

OK now yesterday's editorial really upsets me, because a good portion of it isn't true. We held two meetings. One with the business community, and one with the general public. There were News Dispatch writers at both meetings. Both meetings gave a detailed analysis of the financial state of the YMCA complete with numbers showing the short and long term debts as they were on our books. There was a slide show done at the public meeting, and an informational sheet at the business leaders meeting which actually had a detailed breakdown of our debt. The News Dispatch has also received a copy of the Strategic Plan which details the long term fund raising goals of the YCMA. This information is out there, and they have been involved at every step of the way. I am at a loss to explain this editorial, as it is nearly 100% wrong.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=51462.88

YMCA Not Open
Y In Trouble, But Not Opening Its Books

Editorial

The future of the Michigan City YMCA is bleak. Board President Greg Tuel remains optimistic that the YMCA will be transformed, but raising $40,000 in just a few days - and another $100,000 over the next four months - is an extremely tall hurdle to clear.

Now that the electricity to the organization's building on Coolspring Avenue has been shut off by Northern Indiana Public Service Co., returning any sense of viability to the organization is going to be especially difficult, but we hope the Y succeeds.

The problem is compounded by the less than forthright manner in which the YMCA handled the situation by posting a sign on its door saying the building was closed because of a "power outage," when, in fact, the real reason was because the organization did not pay its utility bill.

Problems at the YMCA apparently date back some time. And the YMCA apparently owes a lot more to NIPSCO than the $40,000 it needs to raise in the next few days.

And that's the problem. Not the amount, but the fact no one knows the full extent of the YMCA's problems. The Y's board has been extremely tight-lipped about its financial difficulties and has never divulged publicly how much money the YMCA owes or even discussed publicly the steps being taken with local businesses and others interested in saving the organization.

All the while, the board has beseeched the public for assistance. They have done a remarkable job in that area, but getting people to sign on and dig into their pockets to contribute has been complicated because of the board's refusal to fully divulge how much money the YMCA needs.

When the United Way begins its annual campaign, it announces a target, giving the business community and the public an idea of how much they need to contribute to reach that goal. The United Way also has an end date for its drive.

No such targets have been offered by the YMCA.

The lack of transparency in the effort to get the YMCA back on its feet has been damaging. At the same time the YMCA was asking the public - and the media - for help publicize its plight, it was holding closed door meetings. An organization can't ask the public for help with one hand and then shut them out of the process with the other.

The question now is if the YMCA can survive. The organization can, but the chance that it will ever operate in its building on Coolspring Avenue again is a long shot.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 31 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #18

Anvil Chorus letter

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=52014.71

City Has Trouble If Y Is Collapsing
Yes, brother, we got trouble, trouble right here in Michigan City. We have allowed our YMCA to go on the rocks and have failed to provide any means for keeping it afloat on a permanent basis. Here we are with all the wealth from Blue Chip and lots of wealthy people , and we're finally getting around to passing the hat to keep the YMCA, a vital force in any community, from complete collapse.

Yes, we should look deep into our hearts and think about all the children who have learned water safety and how to swim and be better people through YMCA programs. We should do whatever it takes to put the YMCA on a firm foundation for the future.

We've got lots and lots of trouble with our school system that has to hire a spin control doctor at $60,000 a year to convince the public that all the bad stories they hear about the behavior of the students aren't really true. We've got freshmen who don't want to go to this high school, and a chief administrator who doesn't even live here and is looking for a better job. We've got an MCAS board member who can't think of a school corporation that needs a communication director more than ours, even though we have had one for several years, but we also have three members who can think of better ways to spend the $60,000 to really help develop satisfied customers, our students and parents.

We could spend the money to bring inspirational speakers like Dick Vitale with his message of the four D's of life, Drive, Desire, Discipline and Determination and beautiful things are going to happen to the students. Ah, there is the problem and the solution. Parents, send students with those character traits to our schools and this MCAS will educate them. Our whole community needs to help parents do this by supporting programs like the YMCA, the Boys & Girls Club right here in our town, the Martin Luther King Center, The Boy and Girl Scouts of America and on and on.

James Delehanty

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 4 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3

One problem is the proliferation of Club sports like volleyball, baseball, and Euroball.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 4 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 4 2007, 02:28 PM) *

One problem is the proliferation of Club sports like volleyball, baseball, and Euroball.

Personally, I don't balme them for what has happened at the YMCA. I think this probalem began a long time ago, and has just gotten so much larger than anyone realized, that now we're all just in shock.

I give the Y board a lot of credit right now--they're dealing with a lot of issues and trying to acheive some sort of resolution.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:01 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com