Southsider2k12
post Mar 17 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=52683.58

Coffee For The Weary
MICHIGAN CITY - Downtown Michigan City has a new place for travelers and coffee drinkers.

Ionie Kirlew-Fly, a Michigan City resident, has opened Savannah's Café, a coffee café/dine-in carry-out establishment. The café is next to the South Shore station on 11th Street.

"Our mission is to provide customers with excellent service, exotic coffees, teas and great food in a fun, friendly and trendy atmosphere," Kirlew-Fly said.

Savannah's specializes in a number of exotic coffees and drinks, including Jamaican Blue Mountain, Intelligentsia, Organic Sumatra, Ghirardelli flavored sauces, teas and espressos.

To eat, customers can try pastries, sandwiches, soups, salads and Jamaican beef/chicken patties.

Kirlew-Fly said Savannah's Café provides a special ambiance, similar to a home environment, to commuters and travelers.

"It's a home atmosphere," Kirlew-Fly said. "It's a home away from home."

The café offers customers a chance to sit down and watch TV, movies, use the Internet, play board games or read magazines. "You can watch TV quietly without being interrupted," Kirlew-Fly said.

Savannah's also serves as an amenity for South Shore commuters. Commuters heading to work early in the morning often make the café their first stop for coffee. "They get up so early and they don't have time to get coffee at home," Kirlew-Fly said.

Originally from Jamaica, Kirlew-Fly grew up in the restaurant business. She has lived in the United States for 16 years, first in New York and then moving to Michigan City, where she has been a resident the last 12 years.

"At the age of 14 I was working in a restaurant with my mom," Kirlew-Fly said. "I wanted to be a nurse or own my own business. I started off as a nurse."

Kirlew-Fly said she came up with the idea of opening Savannah's after visiting a coffee shop while on vacation in Florida. "When I came back this place was available," Kirlew-Fly said.

What she enjoys about her job is meeting people from all over. "It's exciting to interact with different cultures," Kirlew-Fly said. "I've met a lot of tourists."

Savannah's Café also offers catering services to business parties. The cafe also sells paintings by local artists, and other gift items such as coffee cups, T-shirts, books on the Elston Red Devils and CDs from local gospel group Women of Purpose & Power.

Savannah's Café, 110 11th St., is open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday.

Contact Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Mar 18 2008, 02:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

I'm surprised there hasn't been a coffee shop there, given the train station being right next door. I always thought that a rehabbed 11th Street Station would have been a great idea for the South Shore Line.

Signature Bar
Please help me fight HIV/AIDS with the Empire State AIDS Ride.
http://ESAR6.kintera.org/RexKickass
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 18 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

It seems like there have been a few different shops there over the past 10 years, but one would have to wonder how they'd survive outside of the business from the typical daily commuters.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Mar 19 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(JHeath @ Mar 18 2008, 03:30 PM) *

It seems like there have been a few different shops there over the past 10 years, but one would have to wonder how they'd survive outside of the business from the typical daily commuters.

Yeah...last year Half Full Cafe was in that space and now Savannah's.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 19 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(JHeath @ Mar 18 2008, 04:30 PM) *

I think whoever is in that space either needs to set their hours for 5 a.m. to the end of lunch hour, or they need some kind of draw for people coming home from work. Not that I'd know what that would be -- if it was a bigger space, I'd say something like a coffee shop + bakery + pizza joint. Of course, I'm of the opinion that there should be a pizza joint on every block, so I may be biased.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 20 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Is this to the left of the station as you are standing on 11th facing it? If so, my Aunt and Uncle used to run a taxi service and that was their office. They made big bucks being right by the train station. This was about 30 years ago. I think they closed cause they got divorced and my Aunt washed her hands of the place. My ex-Uncle just couldn't take care of it on his own so he sold his cabs and closed up shop. IIRC, they were pretty successful in that location, but I'm comparing apples to coconuts.
Dave's idea is good about opening at 5 a.m. to serve the morning commuters. And I agree that if they want evening hours, they will need something to serve the commuters coming home. Make those MC commuters happy, they will tell their non-commuting friends and business will be booming for them.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 20 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Yep--that's the place. I think there have also been a few smaller restaurants there that at one time served mexican fare. I can remember going there about 10 years ago for what was called "kiki's nachos"...had shredded chicken and a green salsa. (Those were great!)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 20 2008, 10:17 AM) *

Is this to the left of the station as you are standing on 11th facing it? If so, my Aunt and Uncle used to run a taxi service and that was their office. They made big bucks being right by the train station. This was about 30 years ago. I think they closed cause they got divorced and my Aunt washed her hands of the place. My ex-Uncle just couldn't take care of it on his own so he sold his cabs and closed up shop. IIRC, they were pretty successful in that location, but I'm comparing apples to coconuts.
Dave's idea is good about opening at 5 a.m. to serve the morning commuters. And I agree that if they want evening hours, they will need something to serve the commuters coming home. Make those MC commuters happy, they will tell their non-commuting friends and business will be booming for them.

The crazy thing is that two trains have already gone by the time he would open his doors at 5am. (including mine at 5am sharp)
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 20 2008, 11:44 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

What time do the trains start? This makes 5am look like mid-day...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 20 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #10

The first train leaves Carroll Ave at 4:02, hitting 11th at 4:07.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 20 2008, 01:03 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

So opening at 3:30 or 3:45 wouldn't be unrealistic? Except for the hour lag between trains at that hour of the morning.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 20 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

If you only have one train that early, you could quick put together a couple pots of coffee and a plate of muffins or something. During the lag, would be plenty of time to make the "rest of the stuff." After you got to know the people on that first train, you could even make special orders for that group.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Mar 20 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 20 2008, 01:36 PM) *

If you only have one train that early, you could quick put together a couple pots of coffee and a plate of muffins or something. During the lag, would be plenty of time to make the "rest of the stuff." After you got to know the people on that first train, you could even make special orders for that group.

I take the 5:55 and lots of times they are not even open for that train. There are only 10 or so regulars for the 5:55... kind of hard to make a profit with those numbers.

Lakeshore Coffee seems to do OK. Are they getting that much business from the outlet mall?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 20 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

I think Lakeshore has a pretty dedicated customer base. I can envision them pulling a lot of employee traffic from the outlet mall, Blue Chip, the hospital, and the downtown area...although, I have never been there (I'm almost embarassed to say that). They're also pretty well established...and have a fair amount of name recognition since they were one of the first "coffee shops" in town--a trendsetter, if you will.
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Apr 7 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(JHeath @ Mar 20 2008, 11:27 AM) *

Yep--that's the place. I think there have also been a few smaller restaurants there that at one time served mexican fare. I can remember going there about 10 years ago for what was called "kiki's nachos"...had shredded chicken and a green salsa. (Those were great!)

I remember when that restuarant opened in 1993. I forget the name, but one of my classmates' parents at Marquette ran it. Great tacos, and good authentic mexican food too.

Signature Bar
Please help me fight HIV/AIDS with the Empire State AIDS Ride.
http://ESAR6.kintera.org/RexKickass
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:13 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com