Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More N-Dispatch/H-Argus problems
lighter
post Sep 2 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 912

Heard from a friend of a friend while drinking my morning joe at Lighthouse Cafe (they do have great coffee) that another 10 - a dozen people are being fired next month at both the Ndispatch and the Hargus.

My buddie wasn't sure if it was 12 between the newspapers, or a total of 10-12 people.

My bud told me that he had heard those papers have let go of dozens of people in the last five years between them, and only have hired one, NDReporter, just recently.

Hard times for the news papers. What I've been told from my friend (who is a relative of a person connected to the papers) is it's 75 percet really realy bad local management, 10 percet bad economy & 15 percet corporote bad management.

Just five years ago, I guess the N-Dispatch had about 20 people in the news room area. Now they're less than 10 totol.m They fired local photogaphers and assistants who helped and didn't rehire when at least 5\ workers left and pushed others out as well.

My friend said last year they fired a guy who worked their 50 years and next month their forcing out a girl who's been there about 35. I'm sure it makes the bottom line look better from local magament to corporate magagment.

They always run stories when other businessess are hurting or letting workers go. Will they run one about when they do it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 2 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The Herald-News is coming. You watch.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 2 2009, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 2 2009, 12:10 PM) *

The Herald-News is coming. You watch.

Not the Argus-Dispatch?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 2 2009, 01:10 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 2 2009, 12:41 PM) *

Not the Argus-Dispatch?

I think they are going to go with the title of that weekly ad thingy they pass out now.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Sep 2 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 945

Unlike many other businesses, newspapers generally let people go through small cuts here and there on purpose. Because, really, who cares if a business lets go of 10 people? It's not a sexy story. It flies under the radar. I was lucky (ha!) because my last newspaper cut half its major reporting staff at once, along with nearly 100 other employees. BIG story then. It's been making small cuts ever since, and no one seems to notice/care.

QUOTE(lighter @ Sep 2 2009, 10:16 AM) *

Heard from a friend of a friend while drinking my morning joe at Lighthouse Cafe (they do have great coffee) that another 10 - a dozen people are being fired next month at both the Ndispatch and the Hargus.

My buddie wasn't sure if it was 12 between the newspapers, or a total of 10-12 people.

My bud told me that he had heard those papers have let go of dozens of people in the last five years between them, and only have hired one, NDReporter, just recently.

Hard times for the news papers. What I've been told from my friend (who is a relative of a person connected to the papers) is it's 75 percet really realy bad local management, 10 percet bad economy & 15 percet corporote bad management.

Just five years ago, I guess the N-Dispatch had about 20 people in the news room area. Now they're less than 10 totol.m They fired local photogaphers and assistants who helped and didn't rehire when at least 5\ workers left and pushed others out as well.

My friend said last year they fired a guy who worked their 50 years and next month their forcing out a girl who's been there about 35. I'm sure it makes the bottom line look better from local magament to corporate magagment.

They always run stories when other businessess are hurting or letting workers go. Will they run one about when they do it?

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Sep 2 2009, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(Dave @ Sep 2 2009, 12:41 PM) *

Not the Argus-Dispatch?

Or the Birdcage Liner - Fishwrap?

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 2 2009, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Sep 2 2009, 05:12 PM) *

ZING!

Sadly, newspapers are today's hula hoops. Time marches on. Now, if the ND lets people go and keeps Deb Sederberg they're in serious trouble.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Sep 2 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Sep 2 2009, 05:12 PM) *

Heh. I reuse gently read copies of the newspaper to wrap up disposed feline waste products...one thing that can be said for our product is that it is VERSATILE! And recyclable. biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:19 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com