IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> West Side players possibly transferring?
CaddyRich
post Jun 23 2009, 08:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 756

Lavery plays for Boyd on Michigan City squad

BY STEVE HANLON
steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198 | Tuesday, June 23, 2009 | (1 comment(s))

MERRILLVILLE | Taylor Lavery, who played at West Side last season, competed for John Boyd's Michigan City squad at Saturday's Valparaiso University Team Camp's Big School Division at The Fieldhouse.

Lavery, a sophomore-to-be guard whose most recently known address was in Dyer, enrolled at West Side last year as a freshman, after playing in the Lake Central AAU program. Boyd, the Cougars' former coach, took the Wolves' boys basketball job in May.

Reggie Clay, a 5-foot-10 junior-to-be guard at West Side last season, who's also the younger brother of former Cougars star DeShawn Clay, also played for the Wolves on Saturday.

"I'm not going to talk about that right now," Boyd said Saturday of Lavery and Clay competing on the Michigan City roster. "I just want to talk about how hard my team played. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

"We'll talk about it when the season gets here."

It was not immediately clear whether Lavery or Clay had officially transferred to Michigan City. A voicemail left at a number listed for Lavery's father, Mike, in Dyer on Monday was not immediately returned.

"If they're playing for (Boyd), they better be moving lock, stock and barrel," Gary city athletic director Earl Smith Jr. said Monday. "We're not going to let them just get up and go for basketball reasons. That's not going to happen."

Smith said the idea of players following their former coach to Michigan City will not be tolerated.

"If these kids are going to Michigan City, they better have their paperwork in order," he said.

After talking to IHSAA commissioner Blake Ress, Smith said the only Gary athletes who will be allowed to pick what school they want to attend are former Wirt athletes since their school recently closed.

The address that Lavery supposedly used on Chase Street to enroll at West Side last year did not exist -- after a check of Gary properties and a visit to Chase Street -- and he was the first white player to ever suit up for a West Side boys basketball team.

"He must've wanted to come to West Side for a reason," Boyd said last September of Lavery after he transferred to West Side, where he primarily played junior varsity. "He's breaking down stereotypes that have been going on around here for a very long time."

Hey Parky - Here's something worth sleuthing on....?

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
veryirishme
post Jun 23 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

Hmmmm...the things we let slide. What will we do to win?

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 23 2009, 09:25 AM) *

Lavery plays for Boyd on Michigan City squad

BY STEVE HANLON
steve.hanlon@nwi.com, (219) 933-4198 | Tuesday, June 23, 2009 | (1 comment(s))

MERRILLVILLE | Taylor Lavery, who played at West Side last season, competed for John Boyd's Michigan City squad at Saturday's Valparaiso University Team Camp's Big School Division at The Fieldhouse.

Lavery, a sophomore-to-be guard whose most recently known address was in Dyer, enrolled at West Side last year as a freshman, after playing in the Lake Central AAU program. Boyd, the Cougars' former coach, took the Wolves' boys basketball job in May.

Reggie Clay, a 5-foot-10 junior-to-be guard at West Side last season, who's also the younger brother of former Cougars star DeShawn Clay, also played for the Wolves on Saturday.

"I'm not going to talk about that right now," Boyd said Saturday of Lavery and Clay competing on the Michigan City roster. "I just want to talk about how hard my team played. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

"We'll talk about it when the season gets here."

It was not immediately clear whether Lavery or Clay had officially transferred to Michigan City. A voicemail left at a number listed for Lavery's father, Mike, in Dyer on Monday was not immediately returned.

"If they're playing for (Boyd), they better be moving lock, stock and barrel," Gary city athletic director Earl Smith Jr. said Monday. "We're not going to let them just get up and go for basketball reasons. That's not going to happen."

Smith said the idea of players following their former coach to Michigan City will not be tolerated.

"If these kids are going to Michigan City, they better have their paperwork in order," he said.

After talking to IHSAA commissioner Blake Ress, Smith said the only Gary athletes who will be allowed to pick what school they want to attend are former Wirt athletes since their school recently closed.

The address that Lavery supposedly used on Chase Street to enroll at West Side last year did not exist -- after a check of Gary properties and a visit to Chase Street -- and he was the first white player to ever suit up for a West Side boys basketball team.

"He must've wanted to come to West Side for a reason," Boyd said last September of Lavery after he transferred to West Side, where he primarily played junior varsity. "He's breaking down stereotypes that have been going on around here for a very long time."

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 24 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

As long as they move here, there isn't much they can do about it. We used to have these kind of issues back in the Rogers/Elston days where players would use some other relatives address as their own so that they can go to another school. In the end, they have to have a physical presence where ever they say they are, and that is all the IHSAA cares about.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 24 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jun 24 2009, 09:13 AM) *

As long as they move here, there isn't much they can do about it. We used to have these kind of issues back in the Rogers/Elston days where players would use some other relatives address as their own so that they can go to another school. In the end, they have to have a physical presence where ever they say they are, and that is all the IHSAA cares about.

Absolutely. Another thing to consider is "recruiting." There was an issue of that sort with the Smith twins in gymnastics. The IHSAA got involved and conducted an investigation to determine if they had been "recruited" by the coach. At that time, it was determined they were not recruited (but it is my personal belief they were--however that is my opinion only and I am not making any accusations) but being in track and other sports helped to come to that conclusion. If too many West side players end up in City, I'm sure the IHSAA will conduct another investigation.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 3 2009, 01:58 PM
Post #5

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1650377,ro...mn-0703.article

* A few of John Boyd's former West Side players -- including Alajowon Edwards, Reggie Clay and Taylor Lavery -- have been working out with him at Michigan City.

"That's over," Boyd said. "I let them play with me in a couple summer tournaments. Just trying to help some kids out."

With West Side still without a coach, and thus, not participating in any summer tournaments, Boyd said some of his former players asked to play for him this summer.

Will they be playing for him next winter, too?

"I don't know at this point," Boyd said. "All I know is if a kid's family wants to uproot and move into another community, I have nothing against that on any level. I've always signed off on transfers for kids that didn't want to play for me. (But) they'll have to go through the IHSAA. I don't think a lot of parents want to deal with the messiness of it all. More than likely, I won't have anybody (from West Side)."

Whether the IHSAA would approve any such transfers is a big question mark. But it seems a few of Boyd's former players do want to follow him to Michigan City. Just ask Xavier Jones, who said he has heard several teammates talking about it. Which is why Jones is considering a transfer to an out-of-state prep school.

Losing Jones and several other varsity contributors is a harrowing worst-case scenario
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 6 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #6

Hmmm......

Wonder if the new bb coach has found CBTL?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 7 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 6 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Hmmm......

Wonder if the new bb coach has found CBTL?

Not that I know of, but once the school year starts I plan on trying to reach out to him for an interview.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 24 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #8

Well, now that I've been back in town and showing my face here and there, always talking about CBTL and telling everyone about us and that we are THE place to get news and views concering Our Fair City, I am learning that we have a lot of lurkers. So, all you people out there who just come for the information......

JOIN and share your thoughts, ideas and opinions. Don't just read about it--participate!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 24 2009, 12:26 PM) *

Well, now that I've been back in town and showing my face here and there, always talking about CBTL and telling everyone about us and that we are THE place to get news and views concering Our Fair City, I am learning that we have a lot of lurkers. So, all you people out there who just come for the information......

JOIN and share your thoughts, ideas and opinions. Don't just read about it--participate!

FWIW, I have seen the site stats, and we average over 350 unique views per day. That really is pretty impressive for the zero amount of publicity work we have done. All of the PR for the site has been word of mouth, up until now.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 25 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 24 2009, 12:26 PM) *

I know I'm fairly new here but I have a few thoughts:
  • I can't stand Steve Hanlon, both him and his sports editor Justin Breen make me sick IPB Image. When Breen left Michigan City he should have just took himself back to the northern burbs where he came from, good riddence, he's the reason why we cancelled our subscription to the N-D and never took it back. mad.gif Just stay out of La Porte County, both you creeps. mad.gif
  • Please, I beg of you folks, Don't copy and paste anymore of their garbage here on CBTL anymore!!! blink.gif
  • If anyone hasn't seen coach Boyd's interview on ALCO yet, copy and paste this link itno your browser and check it out, very inspiring, made me wish hoops season started this week:

http://alco.org/images/stories/videos/asdv 061209 41min.wmv

I think he's one cool dude cool.gif and the right guy we need at tis time to turn City's basketball program I hope he stays around here for a long time. smile.gif
  • As far as "recruiting" goes, there's an old saying, "You just never know who's going to show up on the doorstep." biggrin.gif
  • GO WOLVES!!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 27 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 25 2009, 11:17 PM) *

I know I'm fairly new here but I have a few thoughts:
  • I can't stand Steve Hanlon, both him and his sports editor Justin Breen make me sick IPB Image. When Breen left Michigan City he should have just took himself back to the northern burbs where he came from, good riddence, he's the reason why we cancelled our subscription to the N-D and never took it back. mad.gif Just stay out of La Porte County, both you creeps. mad.gif
  • Please, I beg of you folks, Don't copy and paste anymore of their garbage here on CBTL anymore!!! blink.gif
  • If anyone hasn't seen coach Boyd's interview on ALCO yet, copy and paste this link itno your browser and check it out, very inspiring, made me wish hoops season started this week:

<a href="http://alco.org/images/stories/videos/asdv" target="_blank">http://alco.org/images/stories/videos/asdv</a> 061209 41min.wmv

I think he's one cool dude cool.gif and the right guy we need at tis time to turn City's basketball program I hope he stays around here for a long time. smile.gif
  • As far as "recruiting" goes, there's an old saying, "You just never know who's going to show up on the doorstep." biggrin.gif
  • GO WOLVES!!!

Very interesting. Thanks for the link to the ALCO interview. Also I hope you can share any info you get about new players.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 27 2009, 10:51 AM
Post #12

I share the sentiment about Justin Breen. When I was athletic secretary, Justin was our LEAST favorite person and we would only communicate with Adam. We literally rejoiced the day we found out Justin was leaving the N-D and Adam was taking over the sports department. (cheers and high-5's all around)

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 27 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 25 2009, 11:17 PM) *

[*]As far as "recruiting" goes, there's an old saying, "You just never know who's going to show up on the doorstep." biggrin.gif

[*]GO WOLVES!!!
[/list]

Couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous how much of this goes on at Valpo High. I think its time for City to have its share. I work with someone who is very into Chesterton High School basketball, and it is safe to say that they are shaking in their boots over there.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 27 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #14

Well their best player isn't coming to City anyway...

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentra...s-jones-to.html

Gary's Jones to transfer out of state
Posted by Kyle Neddenriep

* Read Comments (0)

Interesting story out of Gary, where West Side standout senior Xavier Jones said he is transferring to a school in Ohio. Jones told the Post-Tribune that "it's a better place for me, more opportunities. I'm not getting that much recognition (at West Side)."

The standout guard hinted in May that he was considering a transfer after the departure of coach John Boyd to Michigan City. Jones averaged 21.3 points, 5.4 assists and 2.3 steals last season and has offers from Marquette, Dayton and Indiana State.

Jones didn't specify which Ohio high school he would transfer to. He was No. 13 in the Star's rankings for 2010 in-state prospects.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 27 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #15

But a couple of others might be there... I'll see what I can find out.

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/highschool...es-0826.article

Reigning P-T player of the year moving to Ohio
* Xavier Jones leaving West Side, but said it's not because of coach.
August 26, 2009By David Robb, Post-Tribune staff writer

Xavier Jones is leaving West Side. He's also leaving Indiana.

The reigning Post-Tribune Basketball Player of the Year is moving to Ohio. Jones did not say which school he will attend his senior year.

"It's just a better place for me, more opportunities," said Jones, who was born and raised in Gary. "I'm not getting that much recognition."

Jones said his departure has nothing to do with former coach John Boyd leaving for Michigan City last spring.

"When he made his decision," Jones said, "I was already thinking about leaving."

Following the Junior-Senior North All-Star game on June 9, Jones put his chances of leaving West Side at 50 percent. At that time, he also said he wouldn't play for anyone other than Murray Richards, Boyd's long-time assistant at West Side.

But on Tuesday, as he was packing and preparing to leave, Jones said the hiring of Winston Garland as Boyd's successor didn't impact his decision to leave.

"It's got nothing to do with that," Jones said. "I'll just have more opportunities."

Jones, who has offers from Marquette, Dayton and Indiana State, averaged 21.3 points, 5.4 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 2.3 steals last season while battling multiple injuries.

"I'm sure the kids will miss him," Garland said. "But I've never coached him. I won't miss what I never had. That's my take on it."

Jones isn't the only varsity player Garland expects to lose prematurely. In addition to the graduation of standout DeShawn Clay, Garland said he has heard Reggie Clay and Alajowon Edwards are transferring to Michigan City, which begins school today.

"I'm just wondering whether they're going to be able to play next year," said Garland, referring to the eligibility of Clay and Edwards. "They seem to think that they will."

As for any other transfers, Garland said: "That's it. But it's just Tuesday. (Wednesday) there might be more."

Contact David Robb at 648-3122, drobb@post-trib.com/robb or visit his blog at blogs.post-trib.com/robb.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:44 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com