Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ron Meer wins Mayoral Election
Southsider2k12
post Nov 8 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Ron Meer wins the Michigan City Mayoral Election with 2678 votes to Keith Harris's 1610 and Nancy Moldenauers 315.

Rich Murphy defeats Kevin Walsh 533-170 in 1st ward

Chris Schwanke wins in the 6th ward 434 to 336 over Michael Gondor

At large is won by Don Przybylinski, Tim Bietry and Joe Doyle with 3479, 3179, and 3086 votes respectively. Chad Schroll finished with 1994.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 9 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Congratulations to Mayor-Elect Ron Meer. I will look forward to having him serve as the next mayor of Michigan City.

Couple of big victories for Republicans in nearby city's. Republican Blair Milo wins over incumbant Democrat Kathy Chroback in La Porte and Republican Jim Snyder wins over incumbant Democrat Olga Velazquez in Portage.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Nov 9 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

Congrats to Ron Meer on winning the MC Mayor's race...and to Blair Milo winning the LP race - that one in particular shows that you better have a message other than "My opponent sure is young..." in order to win nowadays. Incumbent = re-elected? Not so much.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

Congratulations to all the winning candidates! Ron Meer, I wish you good luck during your time as Mayor. I'm happy to learn Tim Bietry was victorious as well. I know he will make fair and informed decisions.

I am especially happy about La Porte's new Mayor. biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Nov 9 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 9 2011, 01:31 PM) *

Congratulations to all the winning candidates! Ron Meer, I wish you good luck during your time as Mayor. I'm happy to learn Tim Bietry was victorious as well. I know he will make fair and informed decisions.

I am especially happy about La Porte's new Mayor. biggrin.gif

La Porte was WAY overdue for a new mayor. The new young lady will bring in some fresh ideas to the complex issues facing the City of La Porte.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...b8562690538.txt

Meer city’s next mayor

Ron Meer is congratulated on his victory Tuesday at American Legion Skwiat Post. Photo by Bob Wellinski
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:09 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — For 20 years, Ron Meer was a city employee, working with the Sanitary District for most of that time.

A year and a half after being dismissed from the district for pointing out alleged safety violations, Meer will work again for the city beginning Jan 1. 2012.

But this time, it will be as mayor of the city he has called home his entire life.

“Only in America,” Meer said. “This shows that anything is possible with hard work and determination.”

Meer officially became mayor-elect of the city Tuesday night. His 2,678 votes edged out Republican Keith Harris, his closest competitor, by more than 1,000 votes. Independent candidate Nancy Moldenhauer had 315 votes.

“It feels great,” a relieved Meer said following his victory. “It is a great honor that the people have shown their faith in me.”

Meer’s mayoral campaign officially began in January, emphasizing the same goals throughout the 10 months of campaigning against four opponents in the primary and two in the general election.

“We put so much emphasis on lowering crime and continuing to work on job creation,” he said.

Meer said he looks forward to “working with Michigan City residents zealously” once he takes over for Chuck Oberlie as the city’s chief officer in January.

“He (Oberlie) has already stated he would work with me on making the transition as smooth as possible,” Meer said.

The first indication that Meer would continue 40 years of mayoral dominance in the Democratic party was from the absentee votes, which showed him with a 422 to 174 lead over Harris before any Nov. 8 vote had been counted.

“That was a good sign,” Meer said. “But I was not comfortable until more and more of the precincts came in.”

The mayor-elect congratulated Harris and Moldenhauer on a good race.

“The Independent candidate got her points across well, and the Republican ran a strong campaign,” he said. “I commend both of them. But the city relates more with the Democratic party.

“It sure helps having a ‘D’ on your uniform in Michigan City.”

Harris, who garnered nearly 35 percent of the final vote, said the campaign made “in-roads” for the Republican party. He hopes to see more contested races in Michigan City’s future.

“Our party has been forgotten about for too long,” he said. “The outcome is what it is, and we need to move forward.”

Harris was pleased his campaign volunteers reached nearly every household in Michigan City.

“We covered the city door to door almost 100 percent twice,” he said.

With 15 more months on his term as chairman of the La Porte County Republican Party, Harris hinted at running for office in the future, but assured he would not be a part of any county election in 2012.

Moldenhauer, who totaled 315 votes despite announcing her candidacy only four months ago, said she is satisfied with the message she brought to the table.

“From going door to door, I know Michigan City residents realize the value of greenspace and conserving it,” she said. “They understand the gift of nature that has been given to us as a community.”

Coming up with a platform and “pulling this all together” in four months was “miraculous.”

“It was an uphill battle the whole time and not having the structure of a political party is tough because you do not get the campaign funds and volunteer work the other candidates had,” she said.

All three candidates commented on how “clean” the race was.

“The fact that we all kept it positive and clean is a testament to where Michigan City will go,” Harris said.

Ron Meer (D): 2,678 (58.18 percent)

Keith Harris ®: 1,610 (34.98)

Nancy Moldenhauer (I): 315 (6.84 percent)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...8e323945296.txt

Dems take At-Large council seats

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
MICHIGAN CITY — Three Democratic candidates for Common Council At-Large seats swept the polls Tuesday, but both parties agreed a rainy day was something they could have done without.

Democrats Tim Bietry, incumbent Joe Doyle and Don Przybylinski won the three At-Large spots, with Republican Brian Schroll failing to capture a seat. Bietry, Doyle and Przybylinski each received almost 30 percent of the public’s vote.

Bietry earned 27.19 percent of the vote with 3,197 votes, Doyle earned 3,086 votes or 26.25 percent of the vote and Przybylinski garnered the highest voter loyalty with 29.59 percent of the vote, or 3,479 votes.

Schroll earned 1,994 votes, saying he felt he did well against his well-known opponents. He said the weather probably did not help anyone’s chances Tuesday, and noticed voters were slow getting to the polls because of the rain.

“It was an uphill battle, and I knew it was going to be tough,” Schroll said. “But I enjoyed it. Win or lose, I know I did it my way.”

Schroll said he is thinking about running again in the future, but knows it will be difficult in a mainly Democratic area such as Michigan City.

Doyle said he was pleased to be elected as part of the At-Large group and thinks “a lot of good people” ran and will work together in the coming years toward making Michigan City a better place to live.

“I have no hidden agendas,” he said. “I try to do my best and I stay with the facts. And I always try to think outside the box.”

Przybylinski said his campaign workers and committee members helped him get his name noticed. He plans to work closely with the other At-Large members.

Przybylinski added he was not “overly confident” going into the election Tuesday, but did feel pretty good about his chances due to the amount of positive feedback he received in the primary.

“I’ve gotten a great response from citizens and from my door-to-door campaigning,” he said. “And through the hard work and effort of my campaign committee and all the great folks who helped me along the way, all this came into a reality.”

Bietry was unavailable for comment Tuesday night.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...4c823778447.txt

Murphy dominates First Ward race

By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
MICHIGAN CITY — The First Ward Common Council race was a significant victory for Democratic incumbent Richard Murphy, who garnered 75.82 percent of the votes to Republican Kevin Walsh’s 24.18 percent.

Murphy could not say exactly how many doors he knocked on during the campaign, “but I wore out two pairs of shoes.

“I said when we kicked off the campaign in March, so many people of the First Ward are interested in better neighborhoods and in revitalization of downtown.”

Throughout his campaign, he said, he met people who repeated those interests to him.

“I can’t tell you how many people told me, ‘We need to have better neighborhoods for our children and our families.’”

Better neighborhoods would attract economic development, Murphy said during the campaign.

Walsh said Tuesday night he was surprised and disappointed to see such a low voter turnout.

“It will be interesting to watch Michigan City with the new faces in City Hall,” he added.

During the campaign, Walsh and Murphy differed on several issues.

One was whether the city should operate the former YMCA building. Murphy was cautious about his position, but said, “I’m open to the idea that there is a need in the community for a place where children and adults can exercise,” he told The News-Dispatch.

Walsh was unequivocally opposed to such a move.

“That is one of the more foolish things I’ve heard,” Walsh said. “We should not be in the physical fitness business. Why would we want to go into competition with the businesses here that already provide that?”

Walsh thought it would be a good idea for the city to accept the YMCA property as a gift to “get it back on the tax rolls.”

On election night, Walsh said, “I wish Rich Murphy the best. We have to be optimistic.”

Murphy encouraged First Ward residents to keep in touch with him.

“The First Ward knows where it’s going, and they have the vision, the people and the passion to get there,” Murphy added.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...c4304347514.txt

Sixth Ward goes to Schwanke

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
MICHIGAN CITY — Democratic Sixth Ward Councilman-elect Chris Schwanke said he forged a new friendship Tuesday while campaigning at polling locations throughout the ward.

That new friend would be Mike Gonder, his Republican opponent who finished second in the general election.

Schwanke, who defeated Gonder with nearly 55 percent of the vote to Gonder’s 43 percent, said the second-place finisher was “working just as hard” and “would have done just as good a job” as him had he been elected.

The two were at the polls together today, despite running against each other in a tight campaign.

“We had all day to talk and freeze our butts off,” Gonder said.

Minutes after the final results were tallied, Gonder walked over to American Legion Skwiat Post, where Democratic candidates were holding an election party to congratulate Schwanke.

“He’s been a good guy to talk to and showing up here after the race shows a lot of character on his behalf,” Schwanke said. “He was an admirable opponent, and now we have to do what his motto said and move the Sixth Ward forward.”

While Schwanke will be the ward’s official representative, totaling 434 votes in the election, he says Gonder will be a big help moving forward.

“He has already said he would help in any way he can,” the Democrat said, adding, “We knew we would have to work hard.”

Gonder confirmed his intention to be more involved with government after running his first council race.

“We both want the same thing,” he said, “and that is so the city can be the best it can be.”

The Republican was more than gracious in defeat.

“Chris was a great opponent, and he ran a great race,” Gonder said. “It’s been a Democratic town for 40 years, and it is very tough to break that vote.”

Libertarian candidate Mark Lindborg received 20 votes in the race, which equated to a little less than 3 percent.

Schwanke pointed out this year’s Sixth Ward race was as “clean” a one as he remembers.

“Mike didn’t throw any mud at me and neither did I,” he said. “Mike had some valid points and so did I.”

Chris Schwanke: 434 (54.94 percent)

Mike Gonder: 336 (42.53 percent)

Mark Lindborg: 20 (2.53 percent)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...7e796174949.txt

Candidates took the high road in this election

The votes have been counted and the winners in the 2011 municipal elections have been declared.

So we thought we’d take a minute to congratulate all the candidates on something that we noticed over the last few months.

It may not have been particularly obvious since the primary back in May, but one thing has stood out among all the candidates, from Michigan City to Long Beach, Trail Creek to Beverly Shores.

Nobody resorted to negative campaigning.

Through campaign forums, print and broadcast ads, personal appearances, endorsements and other events where we covered the candidates and their views on the issues, the candidates in this election stayed positive with their messages. While at times the candidates could be seen as passionate about their views, they did not resort to the dark side of politics. Instead, they were respectful of their opponents and more than once, we heard how the candidates felt that their opponents were formidable. They showed a great deal of respect toward each other over the last months.

Granted, there were allegations of lawn signs disappearing and sometimes the electorate pushed for the negative in online comments. But for the most part, each candidate in Tuesday’s election honored themselves and the opposition by stating their views and being respectful of their opponent’s views.

So congratulations to the winners, and also to those who didn’t come out on top when the results were announced. All of you ran campaigns that showed character and respect. And although we all don’t agree on everything, you showed us how to respectfully agree to disagree and move forward.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Nov 12 2011, 08:07 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I wouldn't have voted in a guy to that position who has filed for chapter 7 before but hey, that's just me.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #11

A few interesting numbers out of the election. 151 fewer votes were cast for Mayor in the general election, versus the primary election, with a total of 4607.

Out of the 20 precincts, Ron Meer won 17 of them, with three going to Keith Harris. Meer won all precincts in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd wards. Harris won one each in the 4th, 5th, and 6th wards.

Straight line party voting when to Meer 890 to 145, including a 100 to 2 advantage in 5-1. In fact those 102 votes came out of only 174 total votes cast or an incredible 57.3% of total votes. In fact the closest precinct early voting total was 78 votes in 6-3, or some 31% lower. The next closest percentage of early votes to votes cast was in 3-1 at 41.0% 5-1 is a big time statistical outlier, as the Citywide average was only 22%. The lowest number and percentage of early votes came out of 2-4 with 15 total early votes for a percentage of just under 9%.

The highest and lowest voting %'s both were in the 4th ward with 4-2 only having a 15.4% turnout, while 4-4 got 37.7%. Citywide the average was 26.13%.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com