> 4X8 team moving on to state!
Southsider2k12
post May 23 2008, 09:21 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=13797

VALPARAISO, Ind. - After the first 800 meters, Michigan City's chances of setting a school record in the 3,200-meter relay were bleak.

In fact, the chances of just qualifying for the state finals were slim.

But in a ferocious rally led by Craig Fettig and polished off by Robert Loop and Nolan Fine, the Wolves pulled off a big comeback, and indeed set a school record.

The team of Philip Strader, Fettig, Loop and Fine won the 3,200 relay in a time of 8:03.02 on Thursday in the Valparaiso Regional at Valparaiso High School. The time set a new school record, which was previously set in 1999 with a time of 8:04.85.

"It's really exciting," Fine said. "... Winning the regional is really cool. ... It's awesome. I'm just glad I have teammates going with me (to state)."

Strader was the first leg of the race, and got off to a great start, leading after the first 400. But in the next 400, he quickly faded back into an almost distant fourth place, and looked seemingly out of contention.

"Phil is a very passionate racer," City coach Mike Liss said. "He needs to hold back on the reigns a little bit more. Going out in 54 (seconds), 55 is too fast. It's a very hard thing to maintain and it just catches up to you and it did."

But Fettig was ready for the challenge in front of him.

"I was just so focused on catching the guy in front, which I ended up doing," Fettig said.

He quickly got the Wolves back into contention, and by the time he handed off to Loop, City was in third place.

As the race continued, Loop kept getting closer to the front of the pack. And when Fine got a great exchange from Loop for the last 800, the Wolves were solidly back in the necessary top three, which is what was needed to qualify for state.

But Fine had other ideas. He wanted to win the race.

"I decided that I wasn't going to settle for anything but first," said Fine, who also finished seventh in the 800. "... Robbie and Craig kept us in it, and I just did my job."

He moved into second place in the second turn of the final lap and was quickly bearing down on Merrillville's Gabriel Pirtle. As the two leaders rounded the final turn, Fine got a last burst of energy and passed Pirtle on the outside with about 50 meters left in the race.

City beat Merrillville, who won the overall meet, by two-tenths of as second to claim the 3,200 title, and a big part was because of the comeback by Fettig and Loop, and a personal-best time of 1:55 in his leg of the 800 for Fine.

"We all have a lot of confidence in Nolan," Loop said. "He's the shining star of our relay."

Fettig said, "We all count on Nolan to get us up there because we know he's the fastest."

Up next for City is the state finals, which will be May 31 at Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind.

It will be the first trip to the state finals for all four runners.

"I'm really proud of the guys," Fine said. "We made a lot of progress just this year alone. It's really exciting to see this kind of thing happening."

Liss was ecstatic with how his team was able to rebound and win the race.

"I was very impressed with Craig Fettig, bringing us back into the race," Liss said. "And Robbie Loop did exactly what he had to do in order to put Nolan in contention to win.

"Had any one of those three relays not had, what we call 'fly their mission,' Nolan wouldn't have been in a position to win."

It was a big day overall for area runners and field competitors with a number of athletes qualifying for the state finals.

The Slicers got three individuals to qualify for state, including two coming away with regional championships.

Matt Miller won the 3,200 in a personal-best time of 9:30.37, and Ricky Salary won the discus competition with a throw of 155 feet, 8 inches. Corey Dillon placed second in the 800 to round out the qualifiers for La Porte.

New Prairie will have two competitors making their way to state.

Kyle Smiley won the 1,600 in 4:26.09, and was third in the 3,200 with a 9:39.20. Also Robert Croumlich finished in second in the shot put with a throw of 53-3.75 feet.

"It's really exciting," Smiley said. "I was happy to win the sectional, and when I saw the way the seeds stacked up, I felt I had a good chance to win the regional as well. That really motivated me."

Contact sports writer Nick Dettmann at ndettmann@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 23 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Great coverage. Nothing beats a good track meet--unless it is a good cross country meet.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 27 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 23 2008, 11:53 AM) *

Great coverage. Nothing beats a good track meet--unless it is a good cross country meet.

Having been an athlete in both sports, I can honestly say that I feel there is nothing more boring to watch laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 1 2008, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

You really cannot say that, as you admit to being IN the events, not watching: Spectacle, not spectator.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 1 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 1 2008, 09:22 AM) *

You really cannot say that, as you admit to being IN the events, not watching: Spectacle, not spectator.

I have done both. I ran and watched A LOT of races. smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com