Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46511.75

Conroy Chosen County Clerk
Long-time chief deputy clerk replaces Bob Behler, who has retired from the post

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Bette Conroy was elected La Porte County Clerk on the first ballot at a Democratic caucus to replace Bob Behler, who retired from the position March 15.

She bested former county clerk Lynn Spevak and Judi Keller, a clerk's office employee in the election Monday evening. A total of 61 precinct chairpersons turned out for the vote.

Conroy, the chief deputy clerk for the past 10 years, will face Spevak and Keller for the county clerk's position in the May primary. She will fill out Behler's term, which runs through 2009, but must run in this year's election to hold a three-year term beginning in 2010. The shorter term was a way for the state legislature to eliminate holdover positions.

Behler was a first-term Democratic clerk who had filed for re-election before announcing he would retire in mid-March to move to San Diego, Calif. Conroy narrowly lost to Behler in the last election.

Conroy has 34 years of experience in the clerk's office, working for the last seven county clerks. She has a motto she shared at the event.

"Treat everybody with respect and dignity, the way you want to be treated," she said.

After results were announced, Keller said the county clerk position will be in good hands with Conroy.

"She'll bring a better light," Keller said. "She will be there every day, all day. She'll do a top-notch job. Bette's the greatest."

Spevak lauded the selection as well.

"It was a wonderful choice that the precinct people made. It's hard work and I know she can do it," Spevak said.

Spevak knows what the position entails, having served in the position for two terms. The county clerk's office has 32 full-time employees in six offices.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 18 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That's too bad. I was really hoping they would give it to a neutral party as to not influence the general election unfairly.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Mar 18 2008, 03:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 588

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 18 2008, 12:22 PM) *

That's too bad. I was really hoping they would give it to a neutral party as to not influence the general election unfairly.

The only people who filed to be considered were those who are in the Dem primary for the position. Shaw must have been too busy with McDaniel to exert any pressure in any other direction.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 19 2008, 06:01 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Well I'm glad to hear there was at least no other option there...
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 19 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 19 2008, 07:01 AM) *

Well I'm glad to hear there was at least no other option there...

I think the right person got the job. Thirty some years in the dept. She was beat by politically connected Bob Behler in the last primary by a small margin. The State of Indiana's constitution says nobody may serve in the position for more than eight years in any 12 year period. Lynn Spevak some how got a pass on the constitution. And the third party is a republican that crossed over for the appointment
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:55 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com