> Murder suspect in custody
Southsider2k12
post Nov 8 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

PRESS RELEASE - Public Safety Alert

The Michigan City Police Department was dispatched to a residence in the area of the 300 block of Walker St. on November 8th 2012 at approximately 11:08am regarding a welfare check on an individual.

Up...on arrival officers discovered a subject deceased and there are signs of foul play.

The Michigan City Police Department is currently looking for a subject known as RYAN PHELPS who is a Person of Interest in this investigation. If you know where this person is or has an idea of where he might be, please call the Michigan City Police Department (219) 874-3221 or “911”. Do not approach this person as he is considered to be Dangerous.

Further information will be released regarding the deceased after next of kin have been notified and other details surface.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 8 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Public Safety Alert UPDATE

Ryan Phelps located and speaking with police. This investigation is on-going, if you have any information regarding this case please contact the Michigan City Police Department (219) 874-3221. The Lead Investigator for this case is Detective Cpl. Al Bush (219) 874-3221 Ext. #341.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 8 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #3

The police have officially released the name of Mr. Peters as the victim of the incident today. Peters is well known in Michigan City for his time as a teacher at Rogers high and his involvement in the theater there. We join everyone in paying our respects and prayers for the family and all of the lives that he has touched. RIP
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 9 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/1...29394195047.txt

Police identify homicide victim as Gerald E. Peters, Michigan City

Detectives walk toward Gerald E Peters' home in the 300 block of Walker Street on Thursday, where Peters was found dead at 11:12 a.m. Photo by Julie McClure
By Julie McClure
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012 8:41 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City police officers are investigating what is believed to be a homicide at a residence in the 300 block of Walker St., which was discovered at about 11 a.m. today.

Police identified the victim as Gerald E. Peters, 69, a well-known Michigan City businessman and president of the Festival Players Guild at the Mainstreet Theater.

According to police, they were dispatched to the address regarding a welfare check of an individual. A

After arriving, they discovered a deceased individual and signs of foul play.

At about 4:15 p.m. Michigan City Police located a subject of interest in the investigation, Ryan Phelps, at Vail St. and Michigan Boulevard and he is being interviewed by police.

No further information is being released by police regarding the victim until next of kin are notified.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2012, 07:56 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

No relation. But I have to say, when I saw SSider's post of "Mr. Peters," my heart leapt into my throat for a moment.

My condolences to his family and I pray for swift justice.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 08:18 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 9 2012, 07:56 AM) *

No relation. But I have to say, when I saw SSider's post of "Mr. Peters," my heart leapt into my throat for a moment.

My condolences to his family and I pray for swift justice.

I had seen the name spelled a few different ways, and I didn't want to spell it wrong. Sorry for the scare!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2012, 09:42 AM
Post #7

My grandpa is the only relation by the name Peters left in City, and he doesn't live over there, but he has friends that do..... No problem though, it was only momentary.... wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #8

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-release-mich...0,2783970.story

UPDATE: Four taken into custody in Michigan City death investigation

11:47 a.m. EST, November 9, 2012

Michigan City police are investigating the murder of a well-known and respected member of the community.

The victim has been identified as 69-year-old Gerald Peters -- a teacher, businessman and president of the Festival Players Guild at the Mainstreet Theater.

On Friday, police announced they've made four arrests in the case. We are still waiting for more information:

The release below was issued Thursday and later updated.

The Michigan City Police Department was dispatched to a residence in the area of the 300 block of Walker St. on November 8th 2012 at approximately 11:08am regarding a welfare check on an individual.

Upon arrival officers discovered a subject deceased and there are signs of foul play.

[If you have information], please call the Michigan City Police Department (219) 874-3221.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #9

Michigan City Police Department
6 minutes ago

PRESS RELEASE UPDATE

On November 8th 2012 at approximately 11:08am the Michigan City Police Department was dispatched to a residence in the 300 block of Walker St. regarding a welfare check on Gerald Peters, age 69.

Upon arrival officers from the Patrol Division discovered Gerald Peters deceased in the home and there were obvious signs that a crime had been committed. The Detective Division, St
reet Crime Unit, additional Patrol Division personnel and Prosecutor’s Office were immediately advised of the circumstances and quickly began their investigation which revealed that the victim’s vehicle, a gray Pontiac Grand Prix was missing and presumed stolen.

At approximately 2:25pm Assistant Chief Tim Richardson got into a pursuit with the victim’s vehicle that was being driven by a black male. After a short time the black male suspect later identified as TREVON DRAKKAR WALKER (17) lost control of the victim’s vehicle and crashed in the area of Porter St. and Holiday St. where Walker exited the vehicle and fled from officers on foot. Walker was taken into custody by A/C Richardson, Detective Ron Skibins, and Detective Al Schutz a very short time later as there were several officers throughout the area in vehicle and on foot; he was transported to the Michigan City Police Department for processing and questioning.

During the investigation several leads were followed that lead to the identification of Ryan Phelps (20). An attempt to locate was put out via radio and electronic means, Phelps was located in the area of Vail St. and Michigan Blvd. in an alley by Officer Mike Elkins and brought to the police department for questioning.

Throughout the late afternoon and evening hours investigators continued to question several people for information which led to other suspects, Melvin Joseph Basford (18) and Martell Joseph Anderson (16) whom were located late in the evening and brought to the police department for questioning.

Autopsy is scheduled for Monday November 12th 2012 in Mishawaka with Dr. Joseph Prahlow and Detective Cpl. Tony McClintock.

On November 9th 2012 at 11:00am Detective Cpl. Al Bush with the assistance of Chief Deputy Prosecutor Rob Neary testified in a Probable Cause Hearing in LaPorte County Superior Court I where the Honorable Judge Kathleen Lang presided. Probable Cause was found on four (4) persons and the charges are as follows:

Ryan A. Phelps (20) / Melvin J. Basford (18) / Martell J. Anderson (16) / Trevon D. Walker (17)

Count I MURDER
Count II FELONY MURDER
Count III ROBBERY Class A-Felony

All criminal defendants are to be presumed innocent until, and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law

The Michigan City Police Department’s Administration and Mayor Ron Meer’s Office are extremely impressed with the professional teamwork and commitment that the Uniform Patrol Division, Detective Division, Street Crimes Unit, LaPorte County Sheriff’s Office, Indiana State Police, LaPorte County Coroner’s Office and the LaPorte County Prosecutor’s Office brought forward regarding this investigation. Several personnel were called in from home on overtime to assist and multiple facets of this investigation that took place in different locations of our city moved full speed ahead in order to apprehend the suspects responsible for this heinous act.

Chief Mark Swistek and members of the Michigan City Police Dept encourage anyone with information regarding this incident to contact Detective Cpl. Al Bush (219) 874-3221 Ext. #341. If you want to report any other crime information please call the crime tip hotline at (219) 873-1488 24 hours a day or submit a tip via message on the Michigan City Police Department’s Official Facebook Page.

With the continued help and support of the members of the community we can continue to have quality investigations that lead to the arrest of criminals in our community.

Royce Williams
Chief of Services
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #10

More young people killing people. So very sad.... angry.gif sad.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Nov 9 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 999

I hope they try them all as adults and get the death penalty. Jerry Peters was a nice man and didn't deserve this!!!
+Quote Post
Commuter
post Nov 11 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,163

'A total shock'

Friends mourn Peters’ passing; remember him as a caring person
By Stephanie Kuschel
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:05 PM CST

article: http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/1...58262949461.txt

Four charged in Peters' death

Published: Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:05 PM CST

article: http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/1...08381586956.txt

Signature Bar
Churches and schools should not be havens for creeps.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #13

http://www.otthaverstock.com/obits/obituary.php?id=224722

Gerald Peters
December 23, 1942 - November 7, 2012

Gerald E. "Jerry" Peters, 69, Michigan City, Indiana, passed away Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. in his home.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at First Presbyterian Church, 121 W. 9th St., Michigan City, IN with Rev. Ericka Kilbourne officiating. Burial will follow in Greenwood Cemetery.

Visitation will be from 4-8 p.m.Tuesday at the Ott/Haverstock Funeral Chapel, 418 Washington St., Michigan City, IN and 10:00 a.m. until service time Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church.

He was born December 23, 1942 in Michigan City, Indiana to the late Fred R. and Ethel N. (Sigle) Peters, Jr.
Surviving are a sister, Jacquelyn (Dr. Lawrence) Lobl of Pittsburgh, PA; and many cherished nieces, nephews, cousins and good friends.

Jerry retired from Rogers High School and was the owner of Traditions. He received his Bachelor of Arts in English and Master of Counseling and Guidance from Indiana University.
He was a member of First Presbyterian Church, Michigan City Education Association and the Mainstreet Association. Jerry organized the Michigan City Farmer's Market, was active in the Teacher's Union, President of the Festival Player's Guild and was on the Board of Directors of First Trust Credit Union.

Contributions may be made to Festival Player's Guild, 807 Franklin St., Michigan City, IN 46360.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #14

http://uflc.net/help-honor-jerry-peters/

In response to the unexpected passing of Jerry Peters, the Unity Foundation will help the Festival Players Guild to accept donations in his honor. Gifts can be made in several ways. Checks can be mailed to the Unity Foundation of La Porte County at P.O. Box 527 Michigan City, IN 46361 (with Jerry Peters noted in the memo section) dropped off at either the Mainstreet Theater or at the Unity Foundation at 115 East 4th St. Michigan City (across from the library) or for those who are out of town, they can make a gift on-line by visiting www.uflc.net or through the Unity Foundation’s facebook page. The Unity Foundation can also accept non-cash gifts such as stocks, insurance, and more. You can call 219-879-0327 for more details on such gift options.

Funds raised will be placed in the Festival Players Guild Fund, and the FPG board of directors will decide how best to use the funds to honor Jerry. .

Peters was many things; a non-profit leader, arts promoter, businessman, educator, He was a champion for education, farmer’s market and vibrant down towns. Peters was president of the Festival Players Guild at the Mainstreet Theater. He was also long time English teacher at Rogers High School before retiring in the 1990′s. He owned Traditions Ice Cream and Sub Shop, where you can get old fashioned, ‘just the way you remember them’ milkshakes and ice cream dishes. More information can be found atwww.thenewsdispatch.com

Maggi Spartz, Unity Foundation president said:

I first met Mr. Peters as a student at Rogers High School. He was the teacher sponsor of the Class of 1976. I was a member of the Student Council, and remembered how he helped us get organized to accomplish our goals for that year. I later had the privilege of working with Jerry in his passion for the Festival Players Guild. An endowment fund had been established many years ago to ‘forever’ support the Guild. Jerry, would request earnings from the fund sparingly and used them very carefully. And of course, I’d see him at every Farmer’s Market where we’d share a hug and give each other quick updates on how things were going in the world of non-profits. As you can guess, the arts organizations have had a very difficult time during this recession as compared to other non-profits. That made Jerry even more determined to keep the dream alive. We know Jerry’s absence will be like a fallen tree that leaves deep holes where strong roots once provided stability and nourishment. This new quiet will echo in all the organizations and the people he stewarded. So, help keep Jerry’s dream alive and support the Festival Players Guild, now and forever.

Questions or comments? Call 219-879-0327, email Maggi Spartz at mspartz@uflc.net or leave comments on our facebook page or website.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 14 2012, 08:42 AM
Post #15

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...229e802a87.html

Coroner: Retired teacher brutally beating to death in his home
Stan Maddux Times Correspondent

MICHIGAN CITY | Officials said a retired teacher was killed when he was brutally beaten inside his Michigan City home.

LaPorte County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said multiple blunt force trauma to the head was ruled the cause of death following a Monday autopsy.

Authorities are not shedding light on what was used to deliver the blows or exactly how many times the victim was struck.

Huffman did say the blows were numerous.

"I believe it was more than 10," he said.

Gerald Peters, 69, was found dead Thursday inside his home in the 300 block of Walker Street

Within a few hours, police following a chase of the victim's vehicle arrested the alleged driver, 17-year-old Trevon Walker, along with Ryan Phelps, 20; Melvin Basford, 18, and Martell Anderson, 16.

Each of the suspects is charged with murder and other counts.

Peters was a high school English teacher in Michigan City and former officer with the Michigan City Federation of Teachers.

He also was involved in running the Mainstreet Theatre on Franklin Street in downtown Michigan City.

Peters had many friends, which was evident by a large turnout for a candlelight vigil outside his residence last week.

"He was real friendly. Real nice," said Lusandia Hubbard, who lives across the street.

The 71-year-old Hubbard said she and Peters would speak to each other when they both were doing yard work.

Hubbard said Peters kept his yard looking neat and had a lot of flowers.

"I just don't have the words to say how I feel. It's real sad," said Hubbard.

Friends of Peters say he had taken in one of the suspects and allowed him to live in his basement but recently had asked him to leave.

Hubbard said she never talked to the young man but on several occasions saw him outside cleaning the yard.

"You really can't trust people. You really can't. People just don't have a heart for people no more," Hubbard said.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 14 2012, 02:43 PM
Post #16

This just makes me want to cry. He didn't deserve that, and I am so sad by the pain and confusion he must've endured. What a horrible way to die. I hope they give those boys the death penalty.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 14 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 14 2012, 02:43 PM) *

This just makes me want to cry. He didn't deserve that, and I am so sad by the pain and confusion he must've endured. What a horrible way to die. I hope they give those boys the death penalty.

I didn't know Mr. Peters or have him for a teacher but am heartbroken that this would happen. I don't know any of the suspects but I do know some of their reletives. I worked with a woman whose son commited a horrible crime such as this and he is currently awaitng the death penalty, this totally devestated her.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Nov 14 2012, 03:02 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 964

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 14 2012, 02:43 PM) *

death penalty takes too long to carry out.....
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 14 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Nov 14 2012, 03:02 PM) *

Really. So the state of Indiana will feed and house these animals for years before doing anything - if they ever do.

They should each be taken out and beaten to death with a tire iron within minutes of being found guilty.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 14 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Nov 14 2012, 03:02 PM) *

We have a scheduled state exectuion at ISP on December 11th for a guy that raped and killed a 15 year old girl in southern Indiana in 2001 but it is not going to happen until his case goes through the federal appeals process.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:36 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com