Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://blogs.post-trib.com/lazerus/2009/09...ll-a-buzea.html

Can Boyd pull a Buzea?
By
Mark Lazerus
on September 25, 2009 12:19 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)
I was talking over the phone with Michigan City athletic director Robert "Bear" Falls on Wednesday afternoon for this week's TimeOut Football cover story on the football team's turnaround when football coach Craig Buzea and boys basketball coach John Boyd walked into Falls' office, one after the other.

Can't be a much better feeling as an AD than that.

Michigan City went out and lured away two of the region's most successful coaches in Buzea (from Portage) and Boyd (from West Side). Both had perennial powers. Both reached the state title game. Boyd won a championship.

Well, it took Buzea a little more than two years to turn Michigan City from a perennial doormat into a conference title contender. The Wolves are disciplined, they're hard working and they're successful -- a far cry from the bad old days, which pretty much lasted from consolidation in 1995 to Buzea's arrival.

Can Boyd do the same? MC boys hoops has never won a sectional, has just one winning season in the last eight years, and is coming off a 3-18 campaign. Buzea, who has chatted with Boyd at length about the rebuilding process, has complete confidence in his newest colleague.

"He'll be just fine," Buzea said. "He's coming in here with a lot of the same ideas and goals I did, and he's got his own ideas and plans, too. He's a proven winner. People are excited, and I'm sure he'll be very successful."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 26 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Pin it
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 26 2009, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Done and done.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 1 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #4

John Boyd did an excellent interview on WIMS with Adam Parkhouse. The guy is already talking about winning a state title here. I was also really impressed he knew his MC history enough to know that 3 Mr Basketballs have played in MC.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Nov 6 2009, 05:41 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

All 17 games will be carried live on WEFM and streamed by both Michigancitylive.com and Regional Radio Sports. Again Indiana award-winning Paul Condry will be in charge of production.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 15 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27071

City BK To Host Scrimmages; Opens Nov. 25
Sports Briefs
Michigan City's boys basketball team will host a pair of scrimmages next week prior to its Nov. 25 season opener at home against Marquette.

At 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, the Wolves will compete in an intra-squad scrimmage at the Wolves Den. Tickets are $2 in advance or $3 at the door. Coaches encourage fans to come out and support the team in coach John Boyd's first season with the squad.

At 7 p.m. Thursday, City will travel to Andrean for an inter-squad scrimmage. Tickets are $5.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2009, 10:30 PM
Post #7

Any going to go to the scrimmage? I think I might take the kids up there.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #8

I did get out and take in the first half of the scrimmage with the kids and wife. I am a lot more optimistic about this season than I was by simply looking at who was coming back after watching the play last night.

First of all, looking at the players who are coming back this year for the Wolves, it really struck me that a lot of the kids put in a lot of work on their games over the summer. Looking specifically at Washington, McCormick, and Knight, their shooting and their size is a lot better this year. I think Carlos McCormick put on about three inches and 20 pounds over the last year. All three of them showed very nice three point shots during the scrimmage, which none of them had last year.

They did get a couple more football players out this year, including Rodney Washington and Phil Taylor. Washington played a solid contributing role, but Taylor literally jumped out of this group as a guy who has an impressive and VERY quick leap to his game. He is listed at 6'2", but he was taking down shots of players much bigger than him. He is off of the floor so fast, you have to get a shot up in the first motion, or he is taking it down.

Adam Harmon also showed off an improved outside game, to go along with his tenacious defense and strength at the basket. He looks like the same guy who really led this team last year.

Grady Byrnes seems to be getting a shot to play at C as far as I can tell. He is 6'7", but not very big, showing up at 215 on the statsheet. He did show a decent low post move though, off of the block.

Another thing I was impressed with was the seamless addition of transfers Reggie Clay and Alajowon Edwards to the team. These were two of the three kids that moved to Michigan City to stay working under Coach John Boyd. Both of them showed some pretty nice scoring ability, which is something that City had a lot of trouble doing consistently last year.

Three guys did not play last night, who are supposed to play key roles on the team this year, including 6'5" players Trevor Woolum and James Sanders, along with the other transfer, Taylor Lavery. Lavery is a sophomore who is supposed to be an incredible threat from the outside.

Going into last night I was really thinking this would be a 5-6 win team depending on how they grew up and if they could get any size into the program. After last night, I really saw some impressive athleticism and some hard working defenses. They are not afraid to get after is, including a spot where two players literally wrestled each other for a loose ball, and another where two guys both jumped to try to save a ball from out of bounds. If guys are willing to hustle that hard in an intra-squad game, it bodes well for the regular season. The biggest improvement I saw was the shooting of the team. Last years team had major problems from both outside and inside. Their biggest offense was getting Harmon going to the hole and seeing what could be created from that. This year the guards seem to be much better shooters and drivers. I'm still worried about the front line, but they might be able to overcome things. I don't know that I am ready to make a prediction yet, because three key players didn't play, and I want to see the team play together against an opponent, but I am very encouraged by what I saw.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42187.95

CITY REBUILDING WITH BOYD
Boys Basketball

Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor, The News-Dispatch

Sophomore Carlos McCormick applauded senior Adam Harmon, shouting, "That's team basketball!"

Harmon, in a bit of confusion to start the second quarter of Tuesday's intra-squad game at the Wolves Den, made a layup on the wrong side of the court, giving Blue and Carlos McCormick two points.

Surely, first-year City coach John Boyd is preaching team basketball to his new team, but this is ridiculous.

Harmon took some good-natured ribbing for the gaffe, then went on to score a game-high 21 points (23 if you count points scored for the other team) as fans got their first look at City's latest rebuilding effort.

The history is undeniable. Boyd becomes City's fourth head coach since current athletic director Bob "Bear" Falls resigned prior to the 2001-2002 seasons.

In the eight seasons that have followed, City has a paltry 53-118 record, for a winning percentage of .310. The Wolves have had just one winning record (11-10 in 07-08) after going six-for-six in .500-or-better seasons under Falls.

It doesn't get much better when you only look at Duneland Conference records. In those eight seasons, City's a combined 31-67 (.316) after going 26-17 (.605) under Falls.

That's the reclimation project facing Boyd and his coaching staff.

Those numbers, scary as they are, have left City fans scrambling for answers.

Boyd wonders, too. He wonders how a City that produced three Mr. Basketballs in just more than a decade could have fallen so far.

When you talk to Boyd about his plans for City, he uses words like "state" and "championship." Those aren't words often associated with the Wolves.

So Boyd unveiled his 2009-2010 Wolves to a sparse preseason crowd Tuesday. Five players on White, six players on Blue.

There were some new faces, too. There are three transfers from Gary West Side, and two played Tuesday. A third (Taylor Lavery) was out sick).

So what did we learn? If I'm being truthful, not much.

While I don't mind going to intra-squad games, you just don't get much out of them. These kids have been battling against one another for weeks, or even months, going back to the summer. Neither team surprises the other much with offensive or defensive sets.

Blue battled out a 58-49 win behind 19 points from junior Shereff Knight. Also scoring for Blue were Carlos McCormick (11), Sam Bellamy (10), Jabarr Washington (eight), Phil Taylor (six) and James Patrick (four).

After Harmon's 21, White also got scoring contributions from Alajowon Edwards (nine), Grady Byrnes (eight), Rodney Washington (six) and Reggie Clay (six).

Edwards and Clay are the two West Side transfers who played, and both are juniors.

The impression I was left with overall is that the team has a chance to be good for the next two years, but might have a better shot at a state tournament run in 2010-2011.

Besides the West Side kids, McCormick and Jabbar Washington are sophomores, as is Lavery, who Boyd called the best shooter in the area.

One thing was fairly clear Tuesday: This will not be a City team that features a dominant inside presence. Byrnes, a 6-7 senior, hasn't seen much varsity action, though he looked good at times on some nifty past moves.

But this team appears to be small and one that's going to try and push the tempo.

"We're looking for consistency and to see if they can control the tempo," Boyd said of what he looks for in an intra-squad game.

Boyd said he liked what he saw Tuesday in those departments. He also was pleased with the effort.

"I saw guys having fun and guys working hard," Boyd said. "As a coach, that's all I'll ever ask."

Hard work and fun are all well and good, but City fans are ready for wins.

I would argue it's hard to have one without the other.

So what did we learn Tuesday? City's willing to work hard and able to have fun playing basketball.

The rest will take care of itself.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 23 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #10

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1897191,to...ain1123.article

John Boyd, Michigan City

Boyd, the only active coach in Northwest Indiana with a state title to his credit, has traveled the most unlikely road to get to the top.

He played at West Side as a freshman -- and then quit after a season because he believed the coached showed favoritism.

Instead, he focused on baseball and wrestling.

Boyd returned to the Gary school district in 1992 after graduating from Indiana to coach at Beckman Middle School. His first break came when the principal at Beckman asked him to coach the seventh-grade team.

His first phone call was to Ray Allen, his fraternity brother, for help coaching strategy.

Boyd's first couple of classes at Beckman included marquee players such as Vincent Hart, Patrick Danley, Kenneth Lowe and Mario Harris. In his first season at Beckman, the team went undefeated.

Eventually, he was moved up to the junior varsity coach at West Side under Ike Brown.

Boyd took the job in 2000 under some tense circumstances. It took multiple school board meetings before then-West Side principal Clifton Gooden got Boyd hired.

In 2002, with Chris Hunter and Brandon Cameron leading the team, the Cougars, a defensive juggernaut, won the state title -- the first for Gary since 1991.

Ironically, Boyd had been told by the West Side principal before the season started that he would be fired at the end of the season for refusing to launch his top assistant. The state title saved his job.

Boyd calls Bobby Knight, Pete Newell and Heflin some of his coaching influences. He is proud of the fact that he has a long list of players -- more than 40 -- that he has helped get college scholarships.

At West Side, he grew restless with the lack of resources and the never-ending merry-go-round of coaching drama that engulfed the city every year.

He left last spring after e-mailing Bob "Bear" Falls, the Michigan City athletic director, about his interest in the position if it were to come open. Michigan City hired him after Bob Buscher resigned. A year earlier, Boyd had been a finalist for the Pike job.

"I'm excited about the new challenge," he said. "This is an interesting and great community that I enjoy. I'm not happy with being placed in a box. I thought I was in a box in Gary and I was unable to grow."
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 23 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #11

http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ind...4ed1a86f96.html

Boys basketball, 2009-10 Michigan City Wolves

* Story
* Discussion

Posted: Friday, November 20, 2009 1:20 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Michigan City Wolves

Last season: 3-18 (1-13 DAC), lost in sectional opener to Hobart.

Inside the Wolves

Leading returning scorer: Adam Harmon, 12.8 ppg.

Leading returning rebounder: Harmon, 3.3 ppg.

Go-to player: Adam Harmon, Sr., G. A varsity player since he was a freshman, Harmon is about the only stable presence in the M.C. program in recent years. "Adam Harmon is one of the best players in the Duneland Conference -- period," coach John Boyd said. "There's a tremendous amount of responsibility on him. He needs to be a leader, an example to the younger kids. We hope he understands the expectations."

He's got next: James Sanders, Jr., F. The 6-foot-4 left-hander started last season on the team, but didn't end it that way. "He's a tremendous talent," Boyd said. "He's a kid who should've been playing."

Circled on the calendar: Jan. 1, vs. West Side at Valparaiso. With Boyd having left the Cougars and three players following him to Michigan City, this Region Roundball Rumble matchup is a no-brainer.

The Times' breakdown

Boyd's the new sheriff in town, taking over a program that's been pretty bad since 2001. "In order to win, we've got to teach them how to win," Boyd said. His roster includes three former West Side players, several holdovers from last season and a few former players returning to basketball. "It doesn't matter where they're from or where they started," Boyd said. "They all play for the Michigan City community now. They're Wolves." Harmon is the only returning starter, although Alajuwon Edwards and Reggie Clay, occasional starters last season at West Side, should both be in the first five. The talent seems to be there. Can Boyd do something his predecessors have not been able to do and bring it together? "I'm not going to make any predictions," Boyd said. "Our expectations are to be competitive, to go into every game like it's our last game, learn from our mistakes and continue to get better."

-- Jim Peters

Why do you love basketball?

Roster

Probable starters

Name Ht. Yr. Pos.

Adam Harmon 5-9 Sr. G

Alajuwon Edwards 6-2 Jr. G/F

Reggie Clay 5-9 Jr. G

James Sanders 6-4 Jr. F

Grady Byrnes 6-7 Sr. C

In reserve

Name Ht. Yr. Pos.

Rodney Washington 6-3 Sr. F

James Patrick 5-10 Sr. G

Phil Taylor 6-2 Sr. F

Samuel Bellamy 5-8 Jr. G

Shereff Knight 6-2 Jr. G

Taylor Lavery 6-0 So. G

Jabbar Washington 6-2 So. G

Head coach: John Boyd, first year at school, 147-69 in 10th year overall.

Assistant coaches: Mike Lavery, Murray Richards, Raymond Allen, Phillip Rucker.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 25 2009, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Wolves go to 1-0 on the season with a 61-44 win over Marquette at the Wolves Den. Wolves are led by Olajuwon Edwards with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Blazers are led by 16 points from Tucker Miller. Wolves play their entire roster of 13 players, with Reggie Clay sitting out due to injury.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2009, 10:45 AM
Post #13

Varcom preview picks Wolves to be sixth this year in the Duneland
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27287

City, Boyd down Marquette in season opener

Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor, The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - For significant portions of Wednesday's season opener, Marquette looked primed to spoil Michigan City coach John Boyd's debut.

The Blazers went on a big run before halftime to cut the Wolves big lead down to just eight. But City's upset-minded opponent from the other side of town couldn't get much closer and City got a 61-44 win at the Wolves Den, snapping a 17-game losing streak going back to last season.

"If you watched us play, you saw we're a much more patient bunch," Boyd said. "We make the extra pass and those are things we've been working on."

During the second quarter, City looked as though it was about to blow the game wide open. The Wolves beat the Blazers 74-38 a year ago in the season opener, and this one appeared headed to the same fate.

But Marquette's Tucker Miller (game-high 18 points) knocked down back-to-back 3-pointers and then a couple free throws to complete a 10-0 run and make the halftime score a manageable 31-23.

"We were excited, but what hurt us is we turned the ball over right away (in the second half)," Marquette coach Jason Hawkins said. "We were encouraged ... but we have to be consistent.

"When you're a small school you've gotta do things right all the time."

With 1:50 left in the third quarter, Miller drained another trey to make the score 41-34.

But throughout the game, Marquette lived at the 3-point line. Of their 44 shot attempts, 26 were 3-pointers. The Blazers made nine from downtown.

However, City went on a quick 6-0 run to close out the third quarter and was able to extend the lead late by making 8-of-12 attempts from the free throw line in the fourth quarter.

"We're out here trying to learn our system," Boyd said. "Give all the credit to coach Hawkins, he's got a senior ball club and they hung in there."

All 12 Wolves who dressed played by halftime and nine of them scored.

"That builds confidence," Boyd said. "It's a long season and those guys are gonna be needed."

Hawkins was pleased with his team's effort in hanging tough with the faster, deeper Wolves.

"There were good signs and bad signs. I'm encouraged, actually," Hawkins said. "There were moments we looked great and moments we looked really bad.

"With all our seniors, we shouldn't have those lapses."

One of three Gary West Side transfers, Alajowon Edwards, led City with 15 points and 11 rebounds. Taylor Lavery started and scored five points and the third, Reggie Clay, didn't play due to injury.

"I was just out there playing and having fun," Edwards said. "I love it here (at City). I like the environment and I like the crowd."

Boyd admitted that the team is still coming together, but said by the end of the season it will be different story.

"I always say, get us early," Boyd said. "Because after January, we should have our identity."

Notes: City won the junior varsity game 35-15. ... City outrebounded Marquette 43-20 and six different Wolves had at least five boards. ... Of Marquette's 18 first-half shots, 14 were from behind the 3-point line. ... City didn't have its first turnover until the 5:41 mark of the second quarter when Edwards was whistled for a traveling violation. The Wolves finished with 17 turnovers.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 2 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #15

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2009/12/01...dd344353413.txt

Michigan City (1-0): at Portage, 6 p.m. Friday

Now that its extended losing streak is over, Michigan City’s boys basketball team can now focus on continuing to get better. It starts on Friday night at Portage, when the Wolves start the Duneland Conference portion of their schedule.

City began the coach John Boyd era by defeating Marquette 61-44 last Wednesday night, ending a 17-game losing skid that dated back to Dec. 13, 2008. Against the Blazers, the Wolves pulled away in the second half after just leading 31-23 at the break.

One of three Gary West Side transfers, Alajowon Edwards, paced City with 15 points and 11 rebounds versus Marquette. Shereff Knight had 14 points.

A season ago, the Wolves split two games against Portage, prevailing 64-61 at home, but losing 70-63 on the road.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 3 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #16

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...980/1001/Sports

Michigan City (1-0, 0-0) at Portage (1-3, 0-0): John Boyd’s Wolves open DAC competition against a Portage team that went 0-3 in the Fort Wayne North Shootout ... Junior Olajuwon Edwards, one of three Gary West players who reportedly transferred to City after Boyd was hired away from the Cougars, scored 15 points against Marquette. Matt’s pick: Michigan City 62, Portage 54.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 4 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #17

A great overtime win by the Wolves tonight 58-56 at Portage. The Wolves led most of the game, but did trail late in regulation, and rallied to tie. They led almost all of overtime, and held on despite a late flurry from the Indians. They go to 2-0 overall, and 1-0 in the Duneland conference.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 7 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27468

WOLVES WIN WITHOUT STYLE
Michigan City 58, Portage 56, OT

Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer

PORTAGE, Ind. - If you take a glance at the Duneland Conference standings, you'll notice categories for wins, losses and probably even games behind first place.

What you won't see is "style points."

And that's a good thing for Michigan City fans, as the Wolves did little to impress the judges with Friday's 58-56 overtime victory over Portage, but moved to 2-0 to start the season and opened DAC play with a victory.

"You can call it nasty or whatever you wanna call it," City coach John Boyd said. "Just call it a win."

Portage (1-4, 0-1 DAC) made just 6-of-30 shots in the first half and both teams combined to shoot a terrible 26-of-53 from the free-throw line. But in the end, City got the win based on a solid overtime effort.

Early in the third quarter, City (2-0, 1-0 DAC) opened up a 25-14 lead after a low-scoring first half. Portage made just 1-of-16 shots in the second quarter and scored only three points.

Up by 11, City was primed to blow this thing wide open. But Steve Perry followed up a Lawrence Jones three-point play with a 3-pointer of his own to cut the lead down to five with 5:30 left in the third. The next 17:30 would be back and forth and full of nervous moments.

Portage eventually cut the lead to 25-23 to complete a 9-0 run, which came on the heels of City's 8-0 run.

In the fourth, the score was tied 37-37 before Damonte Lowery made a 3-pointer to give Portage a three-point lead, its biggest of the game. Later, Lowery split a pair of free throws to give Portage a 46-44 lead with 25.2 seconds to play in regulation.

On City's next possession, junior Shereff Knight knifed into the lane and hit a floating runner to tie the game. Lowery's 30-footer at the buzzer was just off, forcing the extra session.

City senior Adam Harmon and Lowery each opened overtime with a 3-pointer, But City took a three-point lead later on a basket at 1:53 from Alajowon Edwards, who turned in another nice game with 18 points and nine rebounds. He had a double-double in the season opener against Marquette.

Then, at 1:09, Edwards made good on a couple free throws to give City a 55-51, two-possession lead. City's lead grew as large as five.

With 14.7 seconds left, Harmon missed two free throws to keep City's lead at 58-56. Portage reinserted senior sharp-shooter Perry for the final play, who had missed a significant portion of the second half with an ankle injury.

As Perry came onto the court, players and coaches on City's bench pointed in Perry's direction, to make sure he wasn't able to make a fourth 3-pointer on the night to break City's heart.

But as the play developed, somehow Perry became wide open in that very corner. He got a clean look at the potentially heartbreaking shot, but it missed. Jones got the offensive rebound, though, but couldn't get a desperation effort to go down and City escaped with the win.

"This is a very tough environment," Boyd said. "The Duneland's tough and you've gotta come in here prepared. (The Indians) played gutsy."

Boyd admitted it wasn't the prettiest of wins.

"We got out of it," Boyd said. "We got a little raggedy, taking quick shots and not being patient.

"But this is the kind of game we have to win. You've gotta believe and you've gotta fight. You've gotta grind it out and execute down the stretch."

City did just that, making 9-of-14 shots from the field in the fourth quarter and overtime. Meanwhile, City's defense held Portage to 30.6 percent shooting for the night.

"Defense creates offense," Boyd said. "We wanna be a defensive team first. Just scrap and keep working."

Notes: City won the junior varsity game 42-30. ... Edwards had 17 of his 18 points in the first, fourth and overtime periods. He was 0-for-2 from the field and 1-2 from the free throw line in the middle two quarters.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 7 2009, 09:42 AM
Post #19

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/highschool...1205.highschool

Wolves outlast Indians in DAC debut for Boyd
December 5, 2009BY NEAL BOYER, POST-TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT
Font Size
Email
Bookmark
Black Text
White Text

PORTAGE -- If most Duneland Conference games are as nerve-wracking as his first, Michigan City coach John Boyd will turn gray sooner rather than later.

Boyd's Wolves needed overtime to escape stubborn Portage 58-56 Friday night in the conference opener for both.

Portage's Steve Perry, who hit three treys, missed one from the corner in the final seconds of overtime and teammate Lawrence Jones' layup rolled off the rim at the buzzer.

"It's good to get the win but we have lots of work to do," Boyd said. "Our guys pulled it out."

The Wolves (2-0, 1-0) outscored the Indians 12-10 in the extra four minutes but missed 4-of-9 foul shots to finish 13-of-26. Portage was worse at 13-of-29.

Portage (1-4, 0-1) used a 9-0 run to tie it at 30-30 after three quarters. Perry, one of five senior starters, scored seven of his team-high 14 points in the third to spark the rally.

Shereff Knight's drive put MC up for good at 51-49 in overtime. Two free throws by Alajowon Edwards, one of three Cougars who transferred from West Side to remain with Boyd, made it 55-51 and two more by Knight upped it to 57-52.

The Indians got a rebound bucket by Jones who was fouled but missed the free throw. After a Wolves free throw, Portage's Donte Nelson hit a jumper for the final points with 16 ticks left. MC senior Adam Harmon (nine points) could have iced it but missed two foul shots with 14.7 seconds left.

Harmon hit a trey to start the game and another to open OT. Edwards dominated early and late inside with seven points in the first period and 10 of his 18 in the fourth and OT. Knight, also a junior, got 10 of his 12 then, also.

The visitors committed eight (of 22) turnovers in the third quarter to help Portage rally.

"This is only our second game and first on the road," Boyd said. "Portage had lots of energy in this gym."

Michigan City led 14-11 at the first stop. Both sides were ice cold in the second with three points each until the final 1:20 when two Wolves got steals and layins for a 21-14 halftime lead. Portage missed 15-of-16 shots in the second.

Portage's Jones got 10 of his 13 points in the last period and OT when Damonte Lowery notched 11 of his 13. Both subs took charge late. Two Indian starters combined for just two points.

Coach Rick Snodgrass was unavailable for comment. Said Boyd: "we definitely need to work on free throws."
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2009, 10:31 AM
Post #20

For those who want to tune in, Adam and myself will be making the trip to Chesterton to call the game for AM 1420 WIMS, and THE John Landecker and myself will be at New Prairie on Saturday night.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41334.84

Wolves' Mission: 3 Wins to Start
Boys Basketball: The Week Ahead

Adam Parkhouse and Zack Eldridge

Michigan City's boys basketball team has two wins to start its season, the seventh time that's happened since the consolidation.

However, only twice have the Wolves gotten out to a 3-0 start. That will be the mission when City travels to Chesterton on Friday for a 7:30 p.m. varsity tipoff.

City's recent history with Chesterton isn't good for the Wolves. The Trojans currently own a nine-game winning streak against their Duneland Conference counterparts, with the Wolves' last win in the series coming Jan. 14, 2005.

New Prairie (1-3): vs. Michigan City, 7:30 p.m. Saturday

After starting the season with a victory over Westville, the Cougars have dropped three straight, although they put up a good fight against La Porte in an 81-59 loss last Saturday night.

New Prairie will attempt to get back on track when it hosts Michigan City (2-0) on Saturday night as part of a girls/boys doubleheader with the Wolves in New Carlisle.

The Cougars beat Westville 62-48 to start the campaign, then lost to South Bend St. Joseph's, 62-50, to Mishawaka Marian, 87-60, and the aforementioned setback to La Porte.

Caleb Johnson paces the Cougars, netting 13.3 points per contest, and George Stainko is averaging 10.75 points a game. Johnson is coming off a 27-point outburst against the Slicers.

A season ago, New Prairie fell 74-63 at Michigan City.

The Cougars have dropped the last six games in the series in the last six years.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:49 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com