post Oct 5 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://www.heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=386543

Natural-gas costs decrease for October
10/05/2007, 10:47 am

The Northern Indiana Public Service Company (NIPSCO) announced Thursday that natural-gas costs for October decreased compared to last month, mainly due to a decrease in wholesale natural-gas prices.

NIPSCO residential customers will see a decrease in natural-gas costs of 7.4 percent in October compared to September. The Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission (IURC) approved the adjustment, subject to refund. A typical NIPSCO residential customer using 100 therms of natural gas should expect a decrease of approximately $8.24 from September’s statement in their October billing, although total bill amounts will vary as a result of actual consumption.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 8 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This is why I do not lock in rates. By the way, which months do you think have the highest gas use?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 9 2007, 06:08 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 8 2007, 04:47 PM) *

This is why I do not lock in rates. By the way, which months do you think have the highest gas use?

I would imagine Jan and Feb, right?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 9 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 8 2007, 04:47 PM) *

This may actually vary by customer...depending on whether or not you use a fireplace or other heat sources.
You can check your previous NIPSCO bills online through their website. It's actually a really nice feature.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 9 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 9 2007, 08:50 AM) *

This may actually vary by customer...depending on whether or not you use a fireplace or other heat sources.
You can check your previous NIPSCO bills online through their website. It's actually a really nice feature.

NIPSCO has a nice feature? I'm amazed.... blink.gif

I say, on the average February has the most usage.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 9 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #6

My favorite NIPSCO feature is charging you $5.95 to pay your bill on line by debit/credit card. Yes they charge you extra to get your money from you quicker. Needless to say, that is one of the few checks that I write each month.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 9 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #7

February, with Jan about 85% of Feb.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 9 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 9 2007, 12:36 PM) *

February, with Jan about 85% of Feb.

Is that the answer or your guess?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 11 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #9

From my bills over last few years

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 2 2008, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/07/02/news/to...479007cafe7.txt

NIPSCO gas bills spike again
BY KEITH BENMAN
kbenman@nwitimes.com
219.933.3326 | Wednesday, July 02, 2008 | 20 comment(s)

The price NIPSCO charges residential customers for natural gas will go up 14.8 percent this month, following a nationwide spike in natural gas prices.

It is the fourth consecutive month NIPSCO's fee has increased by double digits.

Last week, the U.S. Energy Information Agency announced natural gas prices nationwide had broken historical records, surpassing even those in the wake of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

Mike Watson, vice president of energy supply services for NiSource, the parent company of NIPSCO, told state regulators last week that natural gas has "piggybacked" on the precipitous rise in crude oil prices and he doesn't foresee a decline before next spring.

The U.S. Energy Information Agency is predicting this winter's natural gas prices will be a whopping 52 percent higher than last winter's, when prices averaged $7.17 per thousand cubic feet.

A weekly natural gas update from the agency last week pinned much of the blame on increased investments in commodities by speculators and others.

The report noted since the beginning of the year the price of natural gas has increased 63 percent at a key transmission hub.

Such utilities as NIPSCO pass increases in wholesale prices along to customers through a monthly cost adjustment approved by state regulators.

A typical NIPSCO customer using 50 therms of natural gas this month will see an increase of $14.42 in the NIPSCO bill. Actual increases for individual customers will depend on use.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 2 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #11

Everyone seems to be jacking up prices, and though transportation fuel costs have risen, overall prices seem to be moving north faster. I smell places taking advantage of the gas price shock to cover their own price increases.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 2 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

The U.S. Energy Information Agency is predicting this winter's natural gas prices will be a whopping 52 percent higher than last winter's, when prices averaged $7.17 per thousand cubic feet.

OMFG.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 3 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 2 2008, 04:30 PM) *

OMFG.

For someone who works in futures trading, I believe that might be low...
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 3 2008, 09:57 AM
Post #14

And no woodburners are allowed in this county.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 3 2008, 11:08 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 3 2008, 07:19 AM) *

For someone who works in futures trading, I believe that might be low...

So you're saying natural gas prices are going to go up by more than 50% in a year?

Now I seem to recall natural gas isn't a commodity that gets shipped overseas too much -- tankers for moving it are not at all common, the stuff doesn't give a good return for transportation cost, whatever -- my point being that natural gas is for the most part domesticalloy produced and domestically consumed.

So, what's happened? Has supply dropped off, driving prices higher? Has (domestic) demand spiked, driving prices higher? Is natural gas being used in some applications where oil was being used before, driving prices higher?

Or is this another "Enron loophole" event? Any chance that there are going to be natural gas shortages as there were brownouts and rolling blackouts in California when Ken Lay and Skilling et al were screwing everyone out there?

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 3 2008, 11:25 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Dave @ Jul 3 2008, 12:08 PM) *

So you're saying natural gas prices are going to go up by more than 50% in a year?

Now I seem to recall natural gas isn't a commodity that gets shipped overseas too much -- tankers for moving it are not at all common, the stuff doesn't give a good return for transportation cost, whatever -- my point being that natural gas is for the most part domesticalloy produced and domestically consumed.

So, what's happened? Has supply dropped off, driving prices higher? Has (domestic) demand spiked, driving prices higher? Is natural gas being used in some applications where oil was being used before, driving prices higher?

Or is this another "Enron loophole" event? Any chance that there are going to be natural gas shortages as there were brownouts and rolling blackouts in California when Ken Lay and Skilling et al were screwing everyone out there?

The futures prices are up more than 50% over last year IIRC.

Supply all comes from crude, and demand hasn't waned at all.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 3 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 3 2008, 12:25 PM) *

Oaky...I'm going to show my lack of knowledge on the production of natural gas...but it comes form crude oil?

Never mind...I found an educational link.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Jul 3 2008, 12:10 PM
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jul 3 2008, 04:41 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 3 2008, 12:25 PM) *

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 3 2008, 01:09 PM) *

Oaky...I'm going to show my lack of knowledge on the production of natural gas...but it comes form crude oil?

Never mind...I found an educational link.

Not exactly from crude -- crude oil isn't processed into natural gas like crude is processed into gasoline. Natural gas is basically a by-product of oil drilling. Some places where they drill for oil, they find it most cost effective to just burn off the natural gas -- not economical to put it in a pipeline, and can't just vent it due to possible explosions and fire.

And the link says natural gas comes not only from oil fields, but from natural gas fields (where it isn't associated with oil) and coal beds as well. And "biogas" from sources such as landfills.

This post has been edited by Dave: Jul 3 2008, 04:43 PM
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 3 2008, 05:59 PM
Post #19

Wyoming has a natural gas supply due to the fact that it's rich in coal and oil.

Our gas company is Source Gas www.sourcegas.com

We have a separate electric company, Rocky Mountain Power. Lots of houses around here don't even have gas connected, they are totally electric. I don't know why, but I hate it cause I hate cooking on an electric stove. One of the main reasons I chose the house I live in is because it has a gas stove.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 4 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #20

The US has huge NG resources but they are not exploited as thoroughly as they could be. The laissez-faire policy of this Administration has led to more drilling and so on, but it is having a negative impact on wildlife, which is negative for hunters, and for the econ impact the outdoors sports brings to the area.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:29 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com