Southsider2k12
post Jul 9 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...f4522612509.txt

La Porte County Fair opens today at fairgrounds

Jeffrey Young leans over a fence to get a drink from a faucet in the swine barn Satuday

Staff Reports
Published: Sunday, July 8, 2012 5:06 PM CDT
La PORTE — The 2012 La Porte County Fair opens today with 4-H exhibits being checked in, an old-time church service in Pioneer Land at 11 a.m. and a fair preview from noon to 9 p.m. with $5 gate admission.

The fair continues through July 14 with Ted Nugent’s Great White Buffalo Tour being the highlight at 8 p.m. July 14 in the grandstand. Tickets are $15 to $40.

Today’s events include:

8 a.m. to noon — 4-H beef cattle, dairy steers and dairy feeder steers due to arrive

9 a.m. — antique tractor pull, grandstand, free; Open class needlework and handicraft due, 4-H horse and pony check-in

10 a.m. — 4-H goats are due

11 a.m. — Old time church service, Pioneer Land

Noon — Open Class Needlework and Handicraft judging, Veteran’s Day program in the grandstand, 4-H Seep weigh-in, 4-H exhibit buildings open

Noon to 9 p.m. — Fair preview, gate admission $5, no rides

1-3 p.m. — “Falling Higher” in the free entertainment tent

2 p.m. — Open draft horse entries close, 4-H horse and pony judging, 4-H county bred steer class judging and 4-H dairy feeder steer judging

3 p.m. — 4-H pigeons due

3:30 p.m. — “Finding New Life” free entertainment tent

5:30 to 7 p.m. — Log Cabin Bean and Cornbread supper in Pioneer Land

7 p.m. — Demolition Derby in the grandstand, $12, box seats $15
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...c4781473371.txt

La Porte County Fair opens with a 'preview showcase'

Homemade crafts and treats were presented in the community and small projects buildings at the La Porte County Fair on Sunday.

By Gabrielle Gonzalez
For The News-Dispatch
Published: Monday, July 9, 2012 5:07 PM CDT
La PORTE — Temperatures finally cooled down from the three digit days just in time for the fair.

The 167th La Porte County Fair opened on Sunday and will continue the festivities until Saturday, July 14 after Ted Nugent's live performance.

Although the fair's amusement park rides were not yet available, the crowd still appeared for the 4-H preview showcase of projects and animals.

The Small Projects building and the Community building were filled with crafts, science projects, art and homemade food that the 4-H and other participants had entered in categorical competitions and were put on display. The onlookers pointed and commented on the photography, antique collections, quilts, scrap-booking, cakes, miniature farms, handmade clothes and paintings.

Petra Hemphill was with her family looking at the different contestants' work when she noticed her own with a trophy and ribbons sitting next to the binder. She wrote poems about recycling, a biography and two short stories for her entry.

"I was kind of surprised but I know I'm a great writer," said Hemphill.

As you walk further into the heart of the fair, vendors are selling elephant ears, hotdogs, lemonade and ears of corn. Booths are packed with leather purses, cowboy hats, jewelry and sunglasses. People lined up to win a prize at the mouse game. Further to the back by the grandstand is Pioneer Land where families learn and watch the pioneers churn butter and work in a blacksmith's shop.

Along the Zigler road side of the fair are the arenas and stations for the 4-H animals. The fair has "Old Mac Donald's" favorites such as steers, pigs, roosters, ducks, goats, horses and sheep of all different breeds and sizes. The 4-H animal division also includes rabbits.

"It is always fun to bring Butch to the fair," said 4-H participant Tom Walinski. "I really enjoy it."

Butch is Walinski's 5-year-old rabbit who has been in the fair for the last couple of years. Walinski and Grace Dybing were looking at all the other rabbits and checking on their own on Sunday. Dybing has four rabbits in the fair this year that will be judged on Tuesday and Wednesday.

"It is a lot of fun to meet a bunch of people who have similar interests. I love being in 4-H," said Dybing.

The fair continued throughout the night with a ham and bean and corn bread dinner at the log cabin in Pioneer Land and the demolition derby that will continue on Monday. The fair opens everyday at 8 a.m. and closes around 11 p.m.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 14 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #3

Last day of the fair is today!
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jul 14 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,048

I saw a headline on the SB Tribune, but I can't find the article... something about some sort of illness spreading around kids and pigs at the fair? Anyone heard this? I hope everyone's okay. One of my niece's fair rabbits (she's up in Cass county) died in the heat last week. So sad.

Found the link on WSBT... scary...

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-sick-pigs-si...0,2196671.story
+Quote Post
diggler
post Jul 14 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

If you've seen one fair.....you've seen em all. blink.gif
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 14 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(diggler @ Jul 14 2012, 03:06 PM) *

If you've seen one fair.....you've seen em all. blink.gif

Good. One less person in my way the next time I have a chance to go.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 16 2012, 07:06 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

Make that two, Tim....I haven't attended the fair in 3 years, and the only reason I went 4 years ago was for a date.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 16 2012, 09:57 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 16 2012, 08:06 AM) *

Make that two, Tim....I haven't attended the fair in 3 years, and the only reason I went 4 years ago was for a date.

Make it three, I haven't been to the La Porte County Fair in over 15 years.
+Quote Post
diggler
post Jul 16 2012, 01:12 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

Some people just NEVER GROW UP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7fwikCVs9U
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:23 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com