IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garbacik resigning as Parks superintendent, Official stressing the department chief isn't being forced
JHeath
post Sep 10 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=17281

9/10/2008 11:29:00 AM
Garbacik resigning as Parks superintendent

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

Official stressing the department chief isn't being forced

MICHIGAN CITY - Darrell Garbacik, superintendent of the city park department, has resigned from his position.

Park Board President Phil Latchford confirmed Tuesday that Garbacik planned to leave the department on Sept. 19. Latchford emphasized Garbacik was leaving on his own terms, not being forced out, and would be hard to replace.

"We've had some weak superintendents in the past and the park board has had to prop them up," Latchford said. "Darrell has been just the opposite."

Garbacik said he prefers to make a formal, more detailed announcement at the next park board meeting, at 5 p.m. Sept. 18.

"I'm moving on to another position that's a good opportunity for my family and I," he said. Before he became superintendent, Garbacik was a league director and became a recreational director in the department.

Latchford praised Garbacik's organizational, administrative and management skills.

"He has a lot of loyalty to Michigan City and the Park Department," Latchford said. "We never had a better superintendent. He gives his heart and soul to the department, and he has left it in 100 percent better shape than when he took it over."

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said he talked with Garbacik last Friday about another opportunity that had come up. Oberlie said Garbacik would be missed.

"I think he's done an excellent job of molding a park department that was very fragmented when he took over," Oberlie said.

Bob McKee, city councilman and former park board president, echoed the sentiments of others.

"Darrell has done a tremendous job for the department and Michigan City by moving things forward. I'm proud of the job he's done and wish him the best."

Under Garbacik's leadership, a financial plan was developed in the mid-1990s to rescue the Washington Park Zoo from the brink of closure. Garbacik and the park board set a goal to keep shortfalls below $350,000. Last year, the zoo had a record $257,960 in gate revenues.

The Michigan City Parks and Recreation Department has presented several ideas for park improvements to the City Council in the past few years and has encountered council opposition. Councilman Phil Jankowski is one who has had differences with Garbacik over operational practices, including take-home vehicles for department employees and expenditures for the municipal golf course. But Jankowski said any differences have been smoothed over.

"We've had an understanding and have been getting along very well in the last year," Jankowski said. "I wish him luck."

City Council President Ron Meer said he had primarily a good working relationship with Garbacik.

"I can't say I always agreed with everything he wanted to go forward with," Meer said, "but his heart was always in the right place. He's always been very cooperative and very accessible."

The Park Board will advertise the superintendent position locally and with the National Association of Parks and Recreation. Latchford said he welcomes applications from local candidates.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com. out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 10 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

WOW!! I just got done saying in another thread about how much I liked the guy and now he's leaving P&R! What a sad day...

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 10 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I think he has done a good job--maintenance is good, the parks look good, the greenways trails are started.

I have heard a while ago that he was looking for another position, so it will be interesting to see if that is the case, or if he was forced out.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 10 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

They swear he's leaving on his own.

Darrell has been knee deep in caca since he took the job. I don't blame him for wanting calmer waters.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 11 2008, 08:46 AM
Post #5

Plus he is not getting his way all the time, so he may feel he has done what he can and is ready to book.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 12 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 2

With the pressure they are putting on the MCAS, and indirectly Michael Harding, he could have stepped on the toes of those who believe that Harding has to be kept to keep the Strategic Plan in place. Its not hard to imagine the Chamber of Commerce, who has seemingly pressured people to stay out of the school board race for the same reasons, applying the same pressure here.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 22 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48389.91

Garbacik officially leaves Park Dept.
He’s taking a new position at Culver Academies.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - There were thank you's and good wishes all around at the Michigan City Park Board meeting Thursday when Superintendent Darrell Garbacik officially announced he has taken a position as project director at the Culver Academies in Culver, Ind. He starts his new job on Sept. 29.

Garbacik made the announcement "with mixed emotions, but no regrets."

"It's been a great ride and very enjoyable," Garbacik said of his 17-year tenure in the city park department. He rose from league director to recreation supervisor and director of recreation before taking the top spot in 1991.

"We've accomplished an awful lot over the years. I'm most proud of what I'm leaving behind - one heck of a good group of people here."

As he mentioned names of staffers, Garbacik had to pause a few times to keep his emotions in check.

Current and past park board members congratulated Garbacik and talked about his contributions to the department.

"You've been a good steward and have left the department in better shape than when you arrived," Board President Phil Latchford said.

Bob McKee, former park board president and a current city councilman, said, "This is a high profile position and takes a lot of heat. You've stood tough when you've had to."

Johnnie Martinez, Washington Park Zoo director, said, "I've never had a better boss to work for, and you will be sorely missed by the zoo family."

The park board appointed Shannon Eason, park department secretary and payroll clerk, as acting superintendent and awarded her an additional $250 a week while she assumed those duties. Eason said she would not be a candidate for the superintendent position.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 22 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #8

I am glad he suspended those baseball coaches before he split.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:41 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com