Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Citybythelake.org's Top 10 stories of 2009
Southsider2k12
post Dec 30 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

All righty gang, here is my attempt at a Top 10 list. I know I missed some stories, but this is how I felt the biggest stories of the year fell. The funny thing is tomorrow, I would probably have a different list, and a different order. I would be curious to hear what others felt were the biggest news items here in City for 2009.

10. Nightclub beating caught on tape, posted on YouTube

A clip taken outside of a Franklin Street bar captured a white bouncer beating up an ejected black patron on the sidewalk in plain view of many people. After the clip was posted to website YouTube, a community outrage followed, with many feeling that it proved that race relations hadn't improved in Michigan City. The bouncer eventually faced charges from the Michigan City police department, and has become the target of a civil lawsuit from the patron.

9. Splash pad approved, built, and still not open

In January 2009 the Park Board approved a builder for a Splash Pad on the former tennis courts in Washington Park. Almost from the beginning, the project was plagued by planning and building failures. Right before it was hoped to be opened, a large crack opened in the concrete, and its unveiling to the public had to be put back until 2010.

8. Career Center referendum fails by 2:1 margin

The MCAS school board voted to approve the building of a $40,000,000 career center for Michigan City High School. Then local activist Charlie Morgan started a petition drive to get the issue placed on the ballot as a referendum. After some contentious community debate, the issue was voted down by a NO - 2578
YES - 1223 margin.

7. Rock and Roll Hall of Famer John "Records" Landecker joins, leaves, and re-joins WIMS radio AM 1420

John Landecker joined WIMS in June, but was lured away by a big offer from another station in October. After only a week at this new place, Landecker has second thoughts and returned to Michigan City and WIMS. He has a regular daily show, and also makes appearances doing sportscasting.

6. Grand Prix races attract 80,000 to 100,000 to lakefront

Another feel good story in MC, as the inaugural Grand Prix boat races attracted massive crowds and spending to Michigan City over a three day weekend in August. The event was so successful, they are returning in 2010, and adding another day of competition.

5. LaPorte County Auditor Craig Hinchman certifies old numbers, leading to lawsuits, funding shortfalls

This is another story still in progress, but the shockwaves are being felt all over LaPorte County. Many county agencies had their budgets unexpectedly slashed due to the decesion, and are pursuing remedy in court over it. The MCAS alone could lose over $8 million and trigger a doomsday scenario that involves school closings and teacher layoffs.

4. Michael Harding "retires" leaves with almost $60,000

Just before the 2009-10 school year started, the rumors started flying around that Michael Harding was leaving the MCAS for East Chicago. While this bore out to be true, Harding took the step of informing the MCAS he was retiring, entitling him to a tradition severance package. Within days he was hired by the East Chicago school system, leaving the area outraged with the greed involved. The search for his replacement is still going on, and will be one of the important stories of 2010.

3. 3 escape the Indiana State Prison, spend time on the loose

This story captivated the entire area, as reports surfaced of all sorts as these men spend their time escaped. Rumors and fear were palatable. One prisoner was even caught by Mayor Daley's security.

2. Michigan City's incredible year in sports.

It would be easy to make this into 4, or more, stories, but I think it is best summed up together.

2009 saw these achievements, and more...

-Marquette Girls Volleyball team won its 6th straight IHSAA title.
-The Pop Warner football team sent three teams to the state championships, winning two of them. They also won a regional runner up, and had a national final four placement.
-The City girls basketball team had its second straight sectional title, an all-state player, and two players receive division one basketball scholarships.
-The Boys football team had its best start ever, including some last second dramatics over a couple of teams. They also placed two players on the all state team.

1. The South Shore proposes a $65 million remake of the 11th Street corridor

This story has had it all so far, and it is still in its earliest stages of news making... There has been controversy, community involvement, alternative plans, and the future of the north end at stake. Because of the complete change of this part of town that is being talked about, I could see no more important story in 2009.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 30 2009, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

You forgot the most important one: The Citybythelake.org Radio Show!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 30 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Dec 30 2009, 06:00 PM) *

You forgot the most important one: The Citybythelake.org Radio Show!

Yeah, that would rank somewhere near the restaurant reviews wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 30 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I think the ongoing sagas of Jennifer Evans and Carol McDaniel should be in there somewhere.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 30 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 30 2009, 07:55 PM) *

I think the ongoing sagas of Jennifer Evans and Carol McDaniel should be in there somewhere.

I debated the Evans story, but I discovered the shooting and the cover up actually occured in 2008. I didn't think about McDaniel, because she was also an 08 story, but I did include this years off-shoots of the Hinchman angle.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 31 2009, 02:48 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Let's not leave out the Michigan City Pop Warner Cheerleaders, who also took placed in their division for Nationals this year. Great job, ladies!
Take a look a the video from the competition that sent them to Nationals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMt-nY9ZBs
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 3 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(JHeath @ Dec 31 2009, 02:48 PM) *

Let's not leave out the Michigan City Pop Warner Cheerleaders, who also took placed in their division for Nationals this year. Great job, ladies!
Take a look a the video from the competition that sent them to Nationals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMt-nY9ZBs

Thanks for mentioning them! I told you all there would be things I would forget, and looking at the ND's list I can't believe I forget the murder suicide that took place out by Springfield.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:53 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com