IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Homeless
Homeless
Is Michigan City doing enough to help the homeless?
Yes [ 5 ] ** [55.56%]
No [ 4 ] ** [44.44%]
Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
John_Taylor
post Jan 18 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 983

What has the city done about our the homeless? Other local areas have resources

Valpo- New Creation Men's Center (Day Center), Valpo Church overnight shelter
South Bend- Center for the Homeless
Gary- Brothers Keeper

What is Michigan City doing about the homeless in our city (expecially homeless men). Specifically what is the local government doing? Local Churches?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jan 18 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Michigan City has the the Men's Overnight Homeless Shelter. This is provided by the city's churches which, as the name implies, take turns providing overnight shelter to homeless men. The shelter is open during the colderst months (ie. from mid-fall to mid-spring).

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
John_Taylor
post Jan 18 2010, 04:16 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jan 18 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Michigan City has the the Men's Overnight Homeless Shelter. This is provided by the city's churches which, as the name implies, take turns providing overnight shelter to homeless men. The shelter is open during the colderst months (ie. from mid-fall to mid-spring).

That is how the overnight shelter works in Valpo. But in Valpo, Gary, South Bend there are day centers where these men can get the services they need (showers, computers, lockers, place to get mail, food, ect....). This is what the city needs. A Non-profit that provides services to these individuals.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 19 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(John_Taylor @ Jan 18 2010, 12:50 PM) *

What has the city done about our the homeless? Other local areas have resources

Valpo- New Creation Men's Center (Day Center), Valpo Church overnight shelter
South Bend- Center for the Homeless
Gary- Brothers Keeper

What is Michigan City doing about the homeless in our city (expecially homeless men). Specifically what is the local government doing? Local Churches?

I would be curious to hear what your view on this is, your opinion of what we should do going forward, and where the funding should come from exactly?
+Quote Post
dusk
post Jan 19 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 979

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jan 19 2010, 08:47 AM) *

I would be curious to hear what your view on this is, your opinion of what we should do going forward, and where the funding should come from exactly?

Here's a radical thought: sending relief funds here instead of Haiti?

Signature Bar
I don't know how I wound up here, but I'm increasingly glad I did.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 19 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

what's wrong with both?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
dusk
post Jan 19 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Homey @ Jan 19 2010, 09:27 AM) *

what's wrong with both?

Good question. I can't quite put my finger on it, but to me it does feel like something is wrong when people are falling over themselves and locally needy others to help people abroad while continuing to ignore needs at home. I'm guessing, but perhaps it's because it's simpler to throw money at something (and even simpler when it's abroad, because then it's probably the only thing one can do) than to actually physically interact with those in need?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 19 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Point taken, but then again, I do both and volunteer w/hands on. I know many who do and don't advertise it. A $10 donation to the Red Cross is something most of us can do when we can't physically help. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
John_Taylor
post Jan 19 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jan 19 2010, 08:47 AM) *

I think it would be great to see a Non-Profit/Social enterprise collaborate with the city and local area churches. I am sure the city has buildings or space setting empty, Churches could help provide the volunteers and donations along will proceeds from NPO ventures could pay a few staff as well as resources that are needed to get these homeless individuals back on track or pointed in the right direction to more stable liveing!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 19 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

There are agencies to help with the homeless like the Salvation Army, and churches, Catholic Family Services etc. Some are sent to a larger city, like South Bend where they have bigger facilities to house them while they look for work or in between government assistance. Some homelss choose not to stay in these facilities or be housed for any length of time besides getting out of the freezing temps, food and clothing for the night. The Men's Homelss shelter is an excellent program started out in a grass root endeavor.
What I've seen is a real need for the working poor, those who fall through the cracks. The city has it's share of people in need. I believe the Swanson Center has a listing of area agencies where people can turn for help and they are compiling a new booklet with those updates.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jan 19 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(John_Taylor @ Jan 18 2010, 04:16 PM) *

That is how the overnight shelter works in Valpo. But in Valpo, Gary, South Bend there are day centers where these men can get the services they need (showers, computers, lockers, place to get mail, food, ect....). This is what the city needs. A Non-profit that provides services to these individuals.

The Salvation Army is part of the men's shelter. Sat. & Sun. doors open before 7:00 dinner served until 8:00. Showers for those that want one. Clothing and hygene as available and most important, a mailing address for those that need it.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jan 19 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(dusk @ Jan 19 2010, 09:39 AM) *

Good question. I can't quite put my finger on it, but to me it does feel like something is wrong when people are falling over themselves and locally needy others to help people abroad while continuing to ignore needs at home. I'm guessing, but perhaps it's because it's simpler to throw money at something (and even simpler when it's abroad, because then it's probably the only thing one can do) than to actually physically interact with those in need?

What makes you think people here are being ignored? It is not a very big secret around here when Al's does a food drive or the postal workers who do a very publisized one there are other groups that stuff a bus with food. Civic groups compete with fund raising for the salvation army. Thanksgiving dinners for those that have nowhere to go by at least three or four groups. The gospal crusaders fed about 600 people Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Get involved with one of these or come on by the housing authority next Thanksgiving and I will fix you a plate. I am willing to bet you will leave a bit less cynical.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 19 2010, 09:33 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I have to agree here. We can all be ignorant of what is happening right in our area, under our noses. But, we can all reach out in some way, big or small and make an effort to help. We all can be enriched by helping and then have a better understanding the "other side" of the problem. We all can learn what is needed and then act on it.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
dusk
post Jan 20 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jan 19 2010, 08:15 PM) *

What makes you think people here are being ignored? It is not a very big secret around here when Al's does a food drive or the postal workers who do a very publisized one there are other groups that stuff a bus with food. Civic groups compete with fund raising for the salvation army. Thanksgiving dinners for those that have nowhere to go by at least three or four groups. The gospal crusaders fed about 600 people Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Get involved with one of these or come on by the housing authority next Thanksgiving and I will fix you a plate. I am willing to bet you will leave a bit less cynical.

When I wrote I had a previous comment in mind: "But in Valpo, Gary, South Bend there are day centers where these men can get the services they need (showers, computers, lockers, place to get mail, food, ect....). This is what the city needs." It sounded as though Michigan City were lacking something which Valpo, Gary, and South Bend have. But it's good to hear Michigan City is teeming with outreach.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jan 20 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(dusk @ Jan 20 2010, 07:15 AM) *

When I wrote I had a previous comment in mind: "But in Valpo, Gary, South Bend there are day centers where these men can get the services they need (showers, computers, lockers, place to get mail, food, ect....). This is what the city needs." It sounded as though Michigan City were lacking something which Valpo, Gary, and South Bend have. But it's good to hear Michigan City is teeming with outreach.

I am not saying it is "Michigan City" doing these things. The people in Michigan City are. As for day centers, St Anthony Hosp keeps their door open for the homeless. (they also provide the Sat. dinner at the mens shelter) The Library is open to the homless as well, providing the computers they need. There is also a network of soup kitchens for day time meals. I do know that at the Salvation army weekend shelter breakfast is also provided in the morning. As for showers during the day, if they can get one at night do they really need one during the day?

My point is, nobody here is being ignored. So feel good about opening your heart (and wallet) to the disaster in Hati.
+Quote Post
dusk
post Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jan 20 2010, 07:32 AM) *

My point is, nobody here is being ignored. So feel good about opening your heart (and wallet) to the disaster in Hati.

The heart is arguably the dullest tool in the organ shed. I'll first consult my brain as to whether a bucket rife with holes drilled by human hands in defiance of common sense available as close as the country next door is worth bleeding into. Obviously innocent people are always worth investing in. But there comes a time when poor leadership and practices must not be rewarded, lest there be no motivation to change for the better. As I understand it, this was only partially a natural disaster - a significant portion of it the reaping of many decades of willful ignorance of basic principles of strong and enduring society. Please correct me if a spade is not being called a spade.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 20 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I can only shake my head and say "oh my"!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
dawn
post Jan 20 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 981

QUOTE(dusk @ Jan 20 2010, 12:34 PM) *

The heart is arguably the dullest tool in the organ shed. I'll first consult my brain as to whether a bucket rife with holes drilled by human hands in defiance of common sense available as close as the country next door is worth bleeding into. Obviously innocent people are always worth investing in. But there comes a time when poor leadership and practices must not be rewarded, lest there be no motivation to change for the better. As I understand it, this was only partially a natural disaster - a significant portion of it the reaping of many decades of willful ignorance of basic principles of strong and enduring society. Please correct me if a spade is not being called a spade.

If I may be so bold as to weigh in here. I believe that every person that has posted has an understanding of what homelessness is. There are homeless in our country, they are all over the place. Basically, anyone that is not paying rent/house payment, who does not have their own address, who is forced to move in with a relative, due to job loss, etc., is considered as "homeless" Some actually prefer to be homeless, as is evidenced by those who have developed their lives around their circumstance.

Furthermore, the condition of homelessness is often caused by mental illness. Yes, dysfunctional, mental illness. Mental illness either caused by metabolic, physiological causations, or abuse of self, and abuse by others. It is a sad reality. I recently heard an immigrant on vocalo 89.5, she said that she has difficulty in understanding how anyone in this country is homeless. She said there is a ton of opportunities and work to be had.

Sadly, many are without. Having been homeless in my lifetime, I know all too well, that without someone to be there to catch me, to give me a roof until such time I could find a new job, I would have continued to fall down. IT was my family, the locals that helped me. There is an old addage, it might even be biblical. You must feed your own, your own house must be strong before you can feed the rest. (I paraphrase here)

Basically, the best gift that can be given to the Michigan City community is this. Invest locally, buy houses here to live, not rent, not just enjoy on the weekends. Establish affordable small businesses. (after attempting to establish one here, I can honestly say the the owners of properties in a desolate downtown only show the depth of greed that exists here) Then, when you have your own taken care of, be ready to dig in. This is a microcism of a much bigger problem.

We will be absorbing many of the refugees. If you wish to give to Haiti, then do so. If you desire to give to your local community, then do so. But, understand that charity begins at home. What that charity looks like is different for many people. Every tax payer is investing into the larger community. Every penny spent here provides for the masses.

Invest in Michigan City and she will give back to you, invest in the Human Capital here and you shall see increase. Take away from the City and she will remain in her own right a homeless wasteland.

Far too many houses are not homes, far too many businesses remain empty, not earning wages for those who would love to just have a place to go to work every day. I guess the other thing is this...and a new post all together...

Why do people stay where there is no jobs, food, hope, housing? Like Dusk stated, the problems in Haiti stretch back over a long period of time. Sadly, the number of casualities has so much to do with far too many people living in an extremely small area. We are outgrowing a high quality of life.

We need to learn from the Haitian tragedy and understand that we are no match for Mother Nature!

Oh, and from what I understand the Salvation Army locally would be a good place to start with helping the homeless in Michigan City. Oh, but wait, there are many in this community who take issue with the fact that their altruism is based in Judeo-Christian philosophy! Go figure, All I can do is shake my head...; )

Signature Bar
It is all in a day's work
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jan 20 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Cool... from dusk to dawn.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
John_Taylor
post Jan 20 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(dawn @ Jan 20 2010, 01:36 PM) *

If I may be so bold as to weigh in here. I believe that every person that has posted has an understanding of what homelessness is. There are homeless in our country, they are all over the place. Basically, anyone that is not paying rent/house payment, who does not have their own address, who is forced to move in with a relative, due to job loss, etc., is considered as "homeless" Some actually prefer to be homeless, as is evidenced by those who have developed their lives around their circumstance.

Furthermore, the condition of homelessness is often caused by mental illness. Yes, dysfunctional, mental illness. Mental illness either caused by metabolic, physiological causations, or abuse of self, and abuse by others. It is a sad reality. I recently heard an immigrant on vocalo 89.5, she said that she has difficulty in understanding how anyone in this country is homeless. She said there is a ton of opportunities and work to be had.

Sadly, many are without. Having been homeless in my lifetime, I know all too well, that without someone to be there to catch me, to give me a roof until such time I could find a new job, I would have continued to fall down. IT was my family, the locals that helped me. There is an old addage, it might even be biblical. You must feed your own, your own house must be strong before you can feed the rest. (I paraphrase here)

Basically, the best gift that can be given to the Michigan City community is this. Invest locally, buy houses here to live, not rent, not just enjoy on the weekends. Establish affordable small businesses. (after attempting to establish one here, I can honestly say the the owners of properties in a desolate downtown only show the depth of greed that exists here) Then, when you have your own taken care of, be ready to dig in. This is a microcism of a much bigger problem.

We will be absorbing many of the refugees. If you wish to give to Haiti, then do so. If you desire to give to your local community, then do so. But, understand that charity begins at home. What that charity looks like is different for many people. Every tax payer is investing into the larger community. Every penny spent here provides for the masses.

Invest in Michigan City and she will give back to you, invest in the Human Capital here and you shall see increase. Take away from the City and she will remain in her own right a homeless wasteland.

Far too many houses are not homes, far too many businesses remain empty, not earning wages for those who would love to just have a place to go to work every day. I guess the other thing is this...and a new post all together...

Why do people stay where there is no jobs, food, hope, housing? Like Dusk stated, the problems in Haiti stretch back over a long period of time. Sadly, the number of casualities has so much to do with far too many people living in an extremely small area. We are outgrowing a high quality of life.

We need to learn from the Haitian tragedy and understand that we are no match for Mother Nature!

Oh, and from what I understand the Salvation Army locally would be a good place to start with helping the homeless in Michigan City. Oh, but wait, there are many in this community who take issue with the fact that their altruism is based in Judeo-Christian philosophy! Go figure, All I can do is shake my head...; )

Very well put!
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com