Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19054

Council shaves $3M from 2009 budget

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Common Council gave final approval Tuesday night to the 2009 city budget, slashing $3 million from the $49 million budget proposed by Mayor Chuck Oberlie and Controller John Schaefer.

The 2009 budget is some $6 million lower than the 2008 budget of $52 million. Among the reductions made by the council were:

• $41,600 cut from the Board of Public Works for marketing consultant J.K. Kostielney.

• $248,000 cut from the Central Maintenance gas and diesel budget.

• $599,000 cuts from Capital Expenditures paid for by the Riverboat Fund.

• $2.1 million from Capital Expenditures paid from the Boyd Development Fund.

The council unanimously voted to keep annual salaries for the city clerk, mayor and council members at 2008 amounts from 2009 through 2011. Salaries and wages for appointed officials and city employees will not increase next year, and salaries for the fire and police departments will stay the same. The only exception is central maintenance employees, who will receive a 3 percent increase based on a contract that expires at the end of 2009.

An ordinance establishing appropriations and tax rates was approved on an 8-1 vote, with Council President Ron Meer providing the only dissenting vote. After the meeting, Meer said he voted against the ordinance because he didn't approve of $3 million being taken from the city's Major Moves Fund to pay for the Michigan Boulevard reconstruction project.

"There's no plan for specific use," Meer said. "Before we start appropriating money for any project, I'd like to know more about the project. What do we do when streets in the neighborhoods need to be done?"

Meer also objected to the $190,000 subsidy to pay expenses at the municipal golf course, which has been losing money because of declining play, and another $100,000 for culverts at the course.

Two ordinances that will impact city spending were held over for additional readings before becoming official.

One ordinance requires spending from the Riverboat Fund be used only for capital improvement and development projects. Council member Mark Espar, chair of the council finance committee, said the ordinance is intended to give the council more oversight on how the Riverboat Fund is spent. The second ordinance will limit spending from the Boyd Development Fund and the Riverboat Gaming Fund for the same reason.

In developing the 2009 budget, city officials took into consideration an estimated loss of about $1.2 million in property tax revenue next year, as a result of House Enrolled Act 1001 enacted earlier this year by the state's General Assembly. Like last year, the council had to approve a 2009 budget without certified property tax rates due to the county-wide reassessment for tax year 2006 pay 2007.

The city budget must be submitted to the La Porte County Auditor by Dec. 1.

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 24 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #2

As predicted first here... We are looking at reduction of over 10% in our City budget. I can't impress upon you all how huge that is. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same type of reduction next year as the impending national recession starts to take its toll on a town that depends on discrectionary spending for its life.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19144

City spending
Council cuts $3 million

Editorial

Michigan City's budget for next year is leaner than this year, and that's probably good fiscal planning because there are so many uncertainties about government funding.

The $46 million budget approved by the city council Tuesday is $6 million less than the $52 million budget for this year and $3 million less than the budget proposed by Mayor Chuck Oberlie. The council cut $3 million by eliminating a consultant from the Board of Works, along with cuts in the Central Maintenance and capital expenditures budgets.

The budget calls for keeping the salaries for the clerk, mayor and council at 2008 levels for the next three years. Additionally, salaries for appointed officials and city employees, including police and firefighters, will not go up next year. The only exception is for Central Maintenance employees who will receive a 3 percent increase that's called for in a labor contract.

The leaner budget comes at a time when the state is still sorting out the impact of House Bill 1001, which overhauled reassessment, taxes and the structure of local government.

There may well be a need for other cuts in the city budget. At the same time, there may be a need to look at a restructuring of city government once the impact of HB 1001 is known.

For example, is there a need for two public golf courses in a community the size of Michigan City? There aren't as many rounds of golf being played on them, so why not privatize them? Councilman Ron Meer raised questions about that and it's worth discussing.

In fact, now might be the time to look at the viability and necessity of every city service and consider whether it's something taxpayers should fund or whether it could be done more efficiently by someone else.

Our Opinion
The Issue:

City budget for 2009 actually $6 million less than this year's.

Our Opinion:

Government spending is under scrutiny, and we applaud the council for tightening the budget.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 25 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

There is actually more room for budget cuts. One example would be to reduce some of the boards and commission sizes and pay.

One example would be the Social Status for African American Males. I would like to know what service they supply the citizens, what have they accomplished and what powers they have? I know they receive $50. per meeting...and if I'm not mistaken, there are 10 or 12 members on the board. They hold monthly meetings in City Hall. They don't have an office or staff, no funding besides what the city pays them or grants. If they have grant monies, what is it used for? Is this a special interest group? Do they donate their time to volunteer? Do they have to report to the Mayor or City Council? Do they have to give a financial report to the city if they receive funds? Don't we have a Human Rights Commission to handle issues regarding minorities? I am confused....what are we getting for our tax money here? If they don't have a clear and needful service for the citizens, then why not have the Social Status combine their efforts with the NAACP?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 26 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 25 2008, 10:33 PM) *

There is actually more room for budget cuts. One example would be to reduce some of the boards and commission sizes and pay.

One example would be the Social Status for African American Males. I would like to know what service they supply the citizens, what have they accomplished and what powers they have? I know they receive $50. per meeting...and if I'm not mistaken, there are 10 or 12 members on the board. They hold monthly meetings in City Hall. They don't have an office or staff, no funding besides what the city pays them or grants. If they have grant monies, what is it used for? Is this a special interest group? Do they donate their time to volunteer? Do they have to report to the Mayor or City Council? Do they have to give a financial report to the city if they receive funds? Don't we have a Human Rights Commission to handle issues regarding minorities? I am confused....what are we getting for our tax money here? If they don't have a clear and needful service for the citizens, then why not have the Social Status combine their efforts with the NAACP?

Does anyone know what the Social Status for African American Males does? I may have missed articles in the paper announcing their programs.
Also, the Human Rights Commission has 12 members, 1 attorney, meeting once per month at $50 a pop.
The positive thing about the HRC is having a memorandum of understanding with EEOC and process complaints, but is a 12 member Commission necessary? Maybe the Mayor and City Council could take a closer look of where to cut the fat and reduce these numbers and duplicate services.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Nov 26 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 39

1st of all, I would like to say that I agree but who are you to only bring up those 2 groups, sign off with your name because this sounds like a familiar conversation I may have had with someone. What about all of the other boards? We have started having these conversations already in regards to the boards and commissions. Also I believe that certain commissions and boards are by statute and receive dollars from the State and Federal Levels. I don't mean to call you out but it may look like you are targeting minority groups only.

Angie Nelson
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 26 2008, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Nov 26 2008, 12:01 PM) *

1st of all, I would like to say that I agree but who are you to only bring up those 2 groups, sign off with your name because this sounds like a familiar conversation I may have had with someone. What about all of the other boards? We have started having these conversations already in regards to the boards and commissions. Also I believe that certain commissions and boards are by statute and receive dollars from the State and Federal Levels. I don't mean to call you out but it may look like you are targeting minority groups only.

Angie Nelson

No Angie, not targeting anyone...just the size of these boards and commissions, which I think are the largest in the city and don't receive federal funds. I hope you aren't about to pull a race card on me.

Are there bigger boards or commissions in the city?

I don't think any of us are required to "sign off" with our real names Angie, it is your prerogative.

I'm pretty new here and am not aware there was any previous conversation re: cutting city budgets or boards or commissions. I am asking a legitimate question and if you have input, I'd like to hear it...do you have any Angie?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Nov 26 2008, 02:03 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 39

Yep, too many boards and commissions. I believe there are a few that should be combined and I believe their purpose should be more clearly defined. I believe some meet for the sake of meeting. If we checked productivity, not much on many of the boards and commissions, they should actually donate their money back to some non-for-profit. I don't know many places where you can make $50/hour. I also know that some boards/commissions put in an awful lot of time/service for very little pay (Police Commission is one example). SO for the most part.....I agree. My 2 cents.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Everyone, and don't spend too much money with all of the budgets in the public and private sector going through cuts.

Angie
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 26 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Nov 26 2008, 02:03 PM) *

Yep, too many boards and commissions. I believe there are a few that should be combined and I believe their purpose should be more clearly defined. I believe some meet for the sake of meeting. If we checked productivity, not much on many of the boards and commissions, they should actually donate their money back to some non-for-profit. I don't know many places where you can make $50/hour. I also know that some boards/commissions put in an awful lot of time/service for very little pay (Police Commission is one example). SO for the most part.....I agree. My 2 cents.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING Everyone, and don't spend too much money with all of the budgets in the public and private sector going through cuts.

Angie

And Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. Spend money...what money? laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 26 2008, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Nov 26 2008, 02:03 PM) *

Angie

My point exactly. Comparing some of the work load to other boards or commissions that deal with big money, city policy, redevelopment, city services...and look at the number of board members dealing with those issues important to the citizens, it makes you wonder if the same quality of work could be accomplished by a smaller more efficient and hard working board for the SSAAM and the HRC? Everyone knows there's some dead weight on any panel...it's not the number of people on a board, it's the work that is produced.

If the SSAAM provided policy or results, I could understand the need and expense. I just don't see it.

And not to berate the point...but, not only do African American males need help...many, many of MC's men could use some help. We have many social issues that affect people all across the board and to focus on one race or group is in itself prejudiced. If all of us are paying taxes to support this group, we should all reap the benefits of it's work.

So with a 12 member board that has been in existance for many years, it behooves everyone to question what they have accomplished and where are they going? Has it ran it's course of usefulness...is it just a monthly reason to have a bitch session? It is the responsiblilty of the City Council to really give this a good look without prejudice and decide if it's really worth the yearly costs? What the bottom line is, what are we getting out of this? Are the leaders of our city scared to diminish or abolish a group that has no real purpose to serve the city because it may be political suicide or be brave and decide if it's just common sense to put an end to wasteful spending?

Can I have some feedback here? smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 28 2008, 09:35 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

If a meeting has degenerated into a b¾tch session, it is the duty of the chair to return to usefulness. It smells like one problem with City boards is the inbred quality they exhibit. Let's get some new blood, for Pete's sake!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 29 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 28 2008, 09:35 AM) *

If a meeting has degenerated into a b¾tch session, it is the duty of the chair to return to usefulness. It smells like one problem with City boards is the inbred quality they exhibit. Let's get some new blood, for Pete's sake!

The word inbred worries me. I don't care for that exact term. I would use the word "recycled" instead. The same folks recycled throughout each administration...or maybe the better term would be "good ole boys".

Getting back to the point of useless city tax funds being wasted. The SSAAM was brought in from a statewide effort...originated from Indianapolis. I believe it was an idea that gained momentum from Black Expo and some in the system picked it up to use here...like it was a wonderful idea. Why the city pays for it is totally beyond me. Like I said, they cannot create public policy, make or pass laws, so what does the city receive from this group of 12 members? Does anyone care or are we suffering from total apathy?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Nov 30 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 29 2008, 08:36 PM) *

The word inbred worries me. I don't care for that exact term. I would use the word "recycled" instead. The same folks recycled throughout each administration...or maybe the better term would be "good ole boys".

Getting back to the point of useless city tax funds being wasted. The SSAAM was brought in from a statewide effort...originated from Indianapolis. I believe it was an idea that gained momentum from Black Expo and some in the system picked it up to use here...like it was a wonderful idea. Why the city pays for it is totally beyond me. Like I said, they cannot create public policy, make or pass laws, so what does the city receive from this group of 12 members? Does anyone care or are we suffering from total apathy?

If we had a Mayor willing to make sure the needs of everybody in Michigan City were being met, than this board would have a budget. Then some real programs could actually be implemented to improve the social status of African American Males. Cutting this board will not change the fact that there is a disparity in our town over the treatment of OUR kids based on race and opportunity's available based on race. To be making cuts of boards and commissions, is a very good way of telling the tax payer no we do not wish for you to participate in government. There are much better places to look for cutting fat. Start with jobs created for family of the admidistration.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 08:04 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Nov 30 2008, 11:20 PM) *

If we had a Mayor willing to make sure the needs of everybody in Michigan City were being met, than this board would have a budget. Then some real programs could actually be implemented to improve the social status of African American Males. Cutting this board will not change the fact that there is a disparity in our town over the treatment of OUR kids based on race and opportunity's available based on race. To be making cuts of boards and commissions, is a very good way of telling the tax payer no we do not wish for you to participate in government. There are much better places to look for cutting fat. Start with jobs created for family of the admidistration.

The point of focusing on these two boards is the number of people on the board. With 12 members, there still isn't much they have accomplished. A more managable 6 member board could still produce results and cost us less.

No doubt A.A. males need direction, education and/or training. I believe Jim Stemmler sits on the board and has gone way out of his way to help in training programs. He has done this by himself for years without sitting on a board. Ryan Fly has a mentoring program for AA males and works hard to get men jobs. It can be done without holding meetings and spinning their wheels.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Dec 1 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Dec 1 2008, 08:04 AM) *

The point of focusing on these two boards is the number of people on the board. With 12 members, there still isn't much they have accomplished. A more managable 6 member board could still produce results and cost us less.

No doubt A.A. males need direction, education and/or training. I believe Jim Stemmler sits on the board and has gone way out of his way to help in training programs. He has done this by himself for years without sitting on a board. Ryan Fly has a mentoring program for AA males and works hard to get men jobs. It can be done without holding meetings and spinning their wheels.

we are talking about an investment of $7,200 a year in our young African American Males, at the same time with only 5 members on the sanitary board. The Sanitary board is receiving between $18,0000 and $36,000 in salary a year depending on wether or not a major project is going on. With our priority's set we best not complain when the city turns into a cess pool.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Are we comparing apples to oranges?

Is the $7,200 an investment? Are the A.A. males in M.C. benefiting from this board? I still haven't heard what programs they have in place and what results they have accomplished. Is there a report on hand to get this type of information?

I would like to think we are getting something from the current board. Every board should be held accountable when they receive city funds. I don't think an argument needs to take place when citizens ask for reports and results from a governmental board. We can't look the other way and let things go unaccounted for. I hope you aren't suggesting we put our heads in the sand. We all want what is best for the city...and if push comes to shove and the city funds are dwindling, we need to find ways to cut some costs out of the budget. It would be better than laying off city employees, street department workers, refuse, police, etc. Tough times calls for tough measures.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Dec 2 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Dec 1 2008, 10:09 PM) *

Are we comparing apples to oranges?

Is the $7,200 an investment? Are the A.A. males in M.C. benefiting from this board? I still haven't heard what programs they have in place and what results they have accomplished. Is there a report on hand to get this type of information?

I would like to think we are getting something from the current board. Every board should be held accountable when they receive city funds. I don't think an argument needs to take place when citizens ask for reports and results from a governmental board. We can't look the other way and let things go unaccounted for. I hope you aren't suggesting we put our heads in the sand. We all want what is best for the city...and if push comes to shove and the city funds are dwindling, we need to find ways to cut some costs out of the budget. It would be better than laying off city employees, street department workers, refuse, police, etc. Tough times calls for tough measures.

It only seems a bit odd on the direction and selection of the boards you ask reports from. Why not the tree board? Why do we he have a board for trees? Cemetery board? Have you served on a board. As for the SSAAM, some of the things they do is a reach out to kids through a movie night on Karwick road, board member MCPD officer Marty Corley has taken groups and exposed them to college campus life. My point is, if one young man is turned in the direction of being a productive member in our community because of the effort of any of the 12 members of this board. Then the $7,200 is well spent and the return on the investment shall be ten fold over his lifetime. Or should we stop trying and just continue with what America is number one in the world at? This would be incarcerating our youth.
Have you offered any support of this cause? Have you helped in any way of improving our city? With over $300,000,000 of riverboat money put into our budget in the last ten years, we should be asking why are we only investing $7,200 a year in what has to be our weakest link.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 2 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

LTC. Yes I have sat on a board for M.C. Yes I have helped out in a capacity to help.
This board of 12, while may be useful to some, it isn't the only source of support provided throughout the city. We have the HOPE Program, the Boys and Girls Club, and several mentoring programs.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 2 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Dec 2 2008, 07:19 AM) *

It only seems a bit odd on the direction and selection of the boards you ask reports from. Why not the tree board? Why do we he have a board for trees? Cemetery board? Have you served on a board. As for the SSAAM, some of the things they do is a reach out to kids through a movie night on Karwick road, board member MCPD officer Marty Corley has taken groups and exposed them to college campus life. My point is, if one young man is turned in the direction of being a productive member in our community because of the effort of any of the 12 members of this board. Then the $7,200 is well spent and the return on the investment shall be ten fold over his lifetime. Or should we stop trying and just continue with what America is number one in the world at? This would be incarcerating our youth.
Have you offered any support of this cause? Have you helped in any way of improving our city? With over $300,000,000 of riverboat money put into our budget in the last ten years, we should be asking why are we only investing $7,200 a year in what has to be our weakest link.

Only investing? Is this our only program for the minority community in MC?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 2 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 3

Maybe people should pay to be on boards. You could use a sliding scale so you would have fewer complaints about only people with money being on boards.

The $7,200 seems a pittance against the importance of this task.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 2 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Nope, not at all. I have an opinion of LTC's stand. And this is just my opinion.

A movie here or there, a field trip is a good start, but a lot can be said for consistancy. So many social issues start at home. This is something Barack and Michelle Obama want to address. They understand the need for AA men to bring themselves up, support their families and be a positive influence for their children. It all starts at home and other social programs are icing on the cake.

My original point was not to focus on social issues - but the mere size of these two commissions.

We're talking about the budget. Watch your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:10 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com