Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surprise Election Yard Signs
Dave
post Apr 24 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I just found an election yard sign in my front yard that someone placed there without asking us first. Needless to say, it's gone now. I emailed the candidate and advised him he just gave his opponent two votes. In the event he actually emails me back about retrieving the sign, I'm going to have to inform him about how the sign accidentally fell into a shredder, and somehow the wire frame got tied in a knot. rolleyes.gif

Anyone else ever have this sort of nonsense happen to them?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kharris
post Apr 24 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 24 2010, 05:00 PM) *

I just found an election yard sign in my front yard that someone placed there without asking us first. Needless to say, it's gone now. I emailed the candidate and advised him he just gave his opponent two votes. In the event he actually emails me back about retrieving the sign, I'm going to have to inform him about how the sign accidentally fell into a shredder, and somehow the wire frame got tied in a knot. rolleyes.gif

Dave - Haven't had it happen to me, but I have heard of it happening to quite a few folks this year. Really not a good way to promote oneself when running for office. Do you mind if I ask if it was from an R or a D candidate?
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 24 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Apr 24 2010, 07:18 PM) *

Dave - Haven't had it happen to me, but I have heard of it happening to quite a few folks this year. Really not a good way to promote oneself when running for office. Do you mind if I ask if it was from an R or a D candidate?

Considering the fact that this election is a primary, and there are about seven thousand Democratic races versus two Republican races (and I believe we aren't in either of those districts), it isn't too surprising that it was a "D".

On a quasi-related note, Keith, are the Republicans going to run anyone in any of the races that seem to have no primaries listed? I hate unopposed general elections -- they feel too "Soviet Uniony" to me.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Apr 24 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 24 2010, 08:19 PM) *

Considering the fact that this election is a primary, and there are about seven thousand Democratic races versus two Republican races (and I believe we aren't in either of those districts), it isn't too surprising that it was a "D".

On a quasi-related note, Keith, are the Republicans going to run anyone in any of the races that seem to have no primaries listed? I hate unopposed general elections -- they feel too "Soviet Uniony" to me.

I wish I could give you a definitive YES to that question Dave. I have been "beating the bushes" since the 1st of the year and to this point in time no one has stepped up to say they want to run. With that said, some minds may change depending on the outcome of the democrat primaries. We have the opportunity to caucus candidates onto the November ballot in the month of June, so I am certainly hoping we can find someone willing to jump in. I too would hate to just hand these offices over to the other side without a fight, but I would much prefer to have a candidate who is williing to give it his/her all than to just have a name to fill the space on the ballot.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 24 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Apr 24 2010, 08:35 PM) *

... the outcome of the democrat primaries.

Keith, the party you are referring to is the Democratic Party, not the "democrat" party -- capitalized with the "ic" at the end.

Courtesy to the folks on the other side of the aisle isn't that hard, and it makes discourse more civil.

I hope you find some good candidates for November. As you and I have discussed before, party ideology for the most part doesn't come into play very much at the county/municipal levels of government, it's about getting the work done. While I self-identify as a member of the Democratic Party, I don't vote for a straight party ticket. For example, I voted for you the last go round, and at least two Republican judicial candidates.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 24 2010, 11:59 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Unbelievable. May I suggest a sign for HIS front yard?

I can help with the content.
+Quote Post
JIM2011
post Apr 25 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 236

QUOTE(kharris @ Apr 24 2010, 06:18 PM) *

Don't forget the number of signs that get stolen from yards and placed in other spots by the so called supporters of someone else. Happens all the time. I think yard signs need to go away.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Apr 25 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 24 2010, 10:00 PM) *

Keith, the party you are referring to is the Democratic Party, not the "democrat" party -- capitalized with the "ic" at the end.

Courtesy to the folks on the other side of the aisle isn't that hard, and it makes discourse more civil.

I hope you find some good candidates for November. As you and I have discussed before, party ideology for the most part doesn't come into play very much at the county/municipal levels of government, it's about getting the work done. While I self-identify as a member of the Democratic Party, I don't vote for a straight party ticket. For example, I voted for you the last go round, and at least two Republican judicial candidates.

Dave, Lack of civility was not intentional at all. Chalk it up to laziness after a long day of campaigning. I believe I have been more than civil to most, if not all, from the Democratic party.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 25 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Apr 25 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Dave, Lack of civility was not intentional at all. Chalk it up to laziness after a long day of campaigning. I believe I have been more than civil to most, if not all, from the Democratic party.

Keith, you've been very civil and courteous, it just struck me as being unlike you to do that. Get some rest!

As another aside, and speaking as someone with no standing whatsoever, any chance of debates between candidates for local offices in public venues like, oh, the Citybythelake radio show, or written debates on here? I think that could be interesting and informative to the voters.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 25 2010, 10:28 AM
Post #10

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 25 2010, 11:26 AM) *

Keith, you've been very civil and courteous, it just struck me as being unlike you to do that. Get some rest!

As another aside, and speaking as someone with no standing whatsoever, any chance of debates between candidates for local offices in public venues like, oh, the Citybythelake radio show, or written debates on here? I think that could be interesting and informative to the voters.

I'd offer up any of my venues to candidates for sure (internet or radio).
+Quote Post
kharris
post Apr 25 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 24 2010, 10:00 PM) *

The Republican Party is holding a candidate forum of GOP candidates with contested races at the county complex meeting rooms at 1:00pm today. We have invited all of our candidates from U.S. Senate and Congressional candidates all the way down to township board races. I believe I posted an announcement about this here on April 17th.

I do not believe any Senate candidates will be present, although one is sending a representative on his behalf. There will be two Congressional candidates, 3 or 4 State Rep candidates, and 4 county council candidates present this afternoon. If you are free this afternoon by all means attend.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Apr 27 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

WEFM will broadcast live an election forum from the F.O.P. Sunday 2 to 5 p.m. All candidates are welcome. Mike Dempsey and Lou Weber will conduct the event.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Apr 29 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Apr 27 2010, 11:31 AM) *

WEFM will broadcast live an election forum from the F.O.P. Sunday 2 to 5 p.m. All candidates are welcome. Mike Dempsey and Lou Weber will conduct the event.

I will be present.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 20 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Oh how quickly we forget, lol.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 20 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 20 2010, 12:32 PM) *

Oh how quickly we forget, lol.

You're going to have to explain this post for me, CCR, before I know how to make a snarky reply.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 20 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #16

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

This is the only sign you need to know...

IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com