IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Taxthedeer Investigates: Michigan City's Fields of Shattered Dreams, The Ballparks of Springfield Township
taxthedeer
post Apr 7 2014, 01:36 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

With the 2014 baseball season in full swing I feel compelled the share what I witnessed during my trip a couple weekends ago through the cornfields along county Road 800 N. traveling out to Springfield Elementary School. I was totally bewildered by the deplorable conditions of the numerous ball parks located Springfield Township.

As I turned off of Highway 212 was the three diamonds at the 46 acre bankrupt complex at Tyron and Meer Rd. The outfields of appeared that they have not seen a lawnmower in over a decade. The outfield walls on the main field were all faded out and about ready to down.

Further east on county road 800 N. adjacent Springfield Elementary School campus there was what appeared to be an abandoned Little League Field. The gravel parking lot was nearly washed out, outfields flooded with water from a recent rainstorm and snow melt, outfield grass overgrown, rusted out foul poles and a picnic shelter building on the verge of collapse. At first I thought this was a facility that was maintained by the Michigan City Area Schools but later found out that facility is owned by a private individual with a Crown Point address.

The third and most appalling complex I witnessed was the facility located at the southeast corner of the Springfield Elementary school property which is situated on land that is bonded by the Michigan City Area Schools. This ballpark almost made Gilroy Football stadium off I-94 in Gary look state of the art. At a recent school board meeting it was announced that the MCAS was eliminating all of it's elementary school athletic programs. I hope that the school administration demonstrates some respect for the sport of baseball and some self pride and please tear down the back stop and outfield fencing and put that land to some other use.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:45 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com