Southsider2k12
post May 27 2011, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...0c681017357.txt

Marquette grads bring four years to memorable close

Marquette High School graduates listen to Bishop Dale Melczek’s graduation homily Wednesday night. Photo by Bob Wellinski
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Four years of hard work finally paid off for the 49 students who now make up the Marquette High School Class of 2011.

Co-Salutatorian Anna Chao Heng Lei opened Wednesday night’s graduation ceremony at St. Mary’s Church by saying the four years the group spent together seemed to “blow right by us,” and that the night marks a “transition in our lives and the graduation of a lifetime.

“Marquette provided us a discipline that paved our route to success.”

Indeed, a considerable amount of success has been attained by the group. Fifteen graduates were members of the National Honor Society, while 30 graduated with either summa cum laude, magna cum laude or cum laude distinctions.

“This has been an unbelievable senior class with remarkable accolades,” Principal James White said.

Before the class received its diplomas, a baccalaureate Mass was said by Most Rev. Dale Melczek, bishop of the Gary diocese.

“I extend my sincere congratulations to each one of you for all you have accomplished the last four years,” Melczek said during the homily. “You deserve all the accolades that are now given to you.”

Many of the graduating seniors participated in the Mass. Five singers, along with flutist Katie Berg, provided music for the responsorial psalm and offertory hymn. Three graduates acted as the gift bearers, and another three read the Prayers of the Faithful.

Co-Salutatorian Hala Rose Filipowicz allowed her classmates to reminisce about some of the most memorable and comical moments of their high-school careers.

“I’m grateful to be surrounded by my kind and generous classmates on this great night,” she said. “It’s remarkable how much we have changed over the last four years.”

Valedictorian Bryan Jacob Cress had one final request for the class during the final address of the evening.

“I’d like for each of you to find a way to be truly happy,” he said.

At most high school graduations, the crowd is reminded not to applaud until all names have been called. But with the small-sized class at Marquette, each one of the graduates were cheered.

Barbara M. O’Block, superintendent of diocesan schools, also gave a personal introduction to each graduate, highlighting their accomplishments and future plans.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TSNSPYDER
post May 28 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

Thanks for the article. Where was graduation held?
I remember back in the 80s Marquette would graduate 100 plus and the other schools would graduate a lot as well.
If Marquette is down to 49, I wonder if the other schools graduate half the numbers now.
I remember when MC used to have a population of 50,000 if I remember right, that must have declined then too.
Just miscellaneous ramblings for today.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:16 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com