Total Votes: 36
Guests cannot vote 
Ang
post Oct 19 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

It's time we start planning for our next meet & greet.
Our window of opportunity is only a couple days this year so that Tim can attend. We promised last year that we would schedule it so he could be there. The best days would be Sat Dec 26th or Sun Dec 27th. We could probably do Monday evening the 28th if need be, but weekends are usually best.

Please post suggestions as to where you would like to meet. As usual, we will do a poll for time and place which I will put together once we get some suggestions on locations. I would like to start the poll in mid-November to allow us time to figure it out then notify the place we plan to attend so they can accommodate us.

Personally, I wouldn't mind going to the new Hacienda. I haven't been there since the old place burned down. I know it's not a mom/pop place, but that's my suggestion. I also think Saturday evening would be a good time.

Anyone else?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 19 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Thank you so much for thinking of me, Ang. I have no real concrete plans right now on any of those days, so I'll just wait until polls or opinions are offered - but I certainly look forward to finally meeting everyone!
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 21 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I say let's go locally owned. McGuiness, Bartlett's, Duneland Beach, Stop 50, Harbor Grill, etc. etc. <----say's the guy who hasn't made a single gathering, lol. I'll try, seriously.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 21 2009, 12:14 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I'm in favor of someplace that serves booze within walking staggering distance of my house. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 21 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 21 2009, 01:14 PM) *
I'm in favor of someplace that serves booze within walking staggering distance of my house. biggrin.gif

and ours LOL, so how about Ryan's as a choice also? They have a good bar selection (especially on tap) and inexpensive food. McGuiness is just a little further away, but not much. Stadium Inn is too small, I think, as is 4 Stop. Reilly's is out as far as I am concerned - besides the food and service there are terrible (at least the 3 times we were there and then gave up on them). OR we could go Galveston's.

Maybe we should run a poll. I, like Dave, think a walk (stagger wink.gif ) distance might be nice, but since we may be the only ones this close to town Dave, might be a hard sell to the others.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 21 2009, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Sadly for me, this is going to be the weekend of my youngest's second birthday (27th). I most likely will not be able to make it again.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 21 2009, 05:05 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Yes, I'd vote for Ryan's. That used to be Leed's years ago, right? I hung out there a lot so that would be one of those memory lane thingthat I love when I come home. And SS2k9 - very disappointed you might not be there. Move your party to Ryan's!
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Oct 23 2009, 06:16 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Dave @ Oct 21 2009, 01:14 PM) *

For Dave, I will be the designated driver. He just has to be able to roll to the car himself. Dave is too big to carry.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Too many food violations at Ryans. YUCK!

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 26 2009, 09:34 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 26 2009, 09:42 AM) *

Really - oops - I must not be reading the health inspections closely enough. I have always had very decent food at Ryans and at very inexpensive prices for pub food. Actually for a mellow laid back pub atmosphere, it is one of my favorites and the location at 4th and Franklin is great for where we live.....and play.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Oct 26 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

I'm reminded of a time I was there years ago before it was Ryan's. I forget the previous name, but whatever. Several of us went there for dinner and I ordered cream of broccoli soup as an appetizer. The soup comes out and it's stone cold...and in my snarky, 4th gin and tonic voice (ah, memories...) I ask the waitress, "Excuse me, is this soup meant to be served cold?" Minutes later, she brings a new bowl; the temperature somewhere between molten magma and the center of the sun. I looked at her "Take a big spoonful, you *#&@" look followed by "Is that better, sir?" and realized I'd been a putz.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 26 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Ok. I must be missing something because I cannot find Ryan's Irish Pub in the last couple of health inspection reports. (I do not have access to the archives.) I do and have seen in previous (my memory only)Ryan's Family Steakhouse listed and also many of the retaurants that many of you ....and I.... still like (Galveston's, Rodini's and Holly's for a few).

What current or recent violations are you referring to Chicken City?

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Oct 26 2009, 10:46 AM) *

and realized I'd been a putz.

I don't get it, you were a putz for asking for your soup to be hot? Sounds like it was the same bowl just placed in the microwave on high. I'd say the waitress or cook who did that is the putz.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Oct 26 2009, 10:58 AM) *

Ok. I must be missing something because I cannot find Ryan's Irish Pub in the last couple of health inspection reports. (I do not have access to the archives.) I do and have seen in previous (my memory only)Ryan's Family Steakhouse listed and also many of the retaurants that many of you ....and I.... still like (Galveston's, Rodini's and Holly's for a few).

What current or recent violations are you referring to Chicken City?

I googled and actually found the link to the thread I started here. There is a reason it stood out in my memory, lol.

LA PORTE - The following are the results of La Porte County Health Department inspection of restaurants and food service businesses from September.

Inspections on Sept. 11

• Silver Horseshoe, 104 S. Main St., Wanatah: Four critical violations and four non-critical violations.

• Olga's Place, 454 W. Main St., Westville: One critical violation.

• Station 801, 801 Franklin St., Michigan City: Four critical violations and five non-critical inspections.

• Carlson's Drive In, 118 W. Coolspring Ave., Michigan City: Zero violations.

Inspections on Sept. 12

• Shoreline Brewery and Restaurant, 208 Wabash St., Michigan City: Five critical violations and nine non-critical violations.

Ryan's Irish Pub, 401 Franklin St., Michigan City: Eight critical violations and 12 non-critical violations.!!!!!!!<----

Inspections on Sept. 15

• Indiana Deli and Catering, 805 Indiana Ave., La Porte: One critical violation and four non-critical violations.

• Roma Pizza, 2400 Franklin St., Michigan City: One critical violation and three non-critical violations.

• Gourmet House, 1458 W. Indiana 2, La Porte: Three critical violations and five non-critical violations.

• Beacon Hills Banquet Center, 282 W. Johnson Road, La Porte: Two non-critical violations.

• Oak Wood Manor, 1211 Longwood Drive, La Porte: Zero violations.

Inspections on Sept. 16

• Heston Supper Club, 2003 E. County Road 1000 North, La Porte: Four critical violations and five non-critical violations.

• Eagles Lodge 2439, 301 B St., La Porte: One critical violation and one non-critical violation.

• Colima, 301 Lincolnway, La Porte: One non-critical violation.

• State Street Bar and Grill, 502 State St., La Porte: Four non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 17

• Archies, 104 N St., La Porte: Seven non-critical violations.

• Great Wall, 49 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte: Two critical violations and seven non-critical violations.

• Maple City Coffee, 5426 N. County Road 325 West, La Porte: Zero violations.

• The Last Round-Up, 3454 S. Indiana 104, La Porte: Four critical violations and six non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 18

• Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, 2148 Karwick Road, Long Beach: Two critical violations and two non-critical violations.

• Holly's Restaurant, 3705 Franklin St., Michigan City: Two critical violations and seven non-critical violations.

• Pottawattomie Club, 1900 Springland Ave., Michigan City: Two non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 19

• Wendy's, 1210 Lincolnway, La Porte: One non-critical violation.

• Taco Bell, 202 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte: Zero violations

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 11:13 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

I do believe that's a record, eight critical and twelve non critical!!!lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 26 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 26 2009, 12:13 PM) *
I do believe that's a record, eight critical and twelve non critical!!!lol

I hate to point this out, but feel you are being somewhat deceitful posting this without a date (year). Either that or you are being overly judgmental based on very old information. That inspection was over ONE YEAR AGO. How far back would you like others to look into your past and judge you? I would prefer to judge places and people on current actions and decisions. I also judge my by own experiences. Therefore I will still go to Galvestons, McGuiness and other places - even though they are on more recent lists of health inspections with violations. However since we usually vote for places to meet, I will as always, defer to the majority. All I ask is that people make judgments on their own experiences OR current info.

News-Dispatch, The (Michigan City, IN)
[b]Restaurant, Food Service Inspection [/b]
Published: October 9, 2008<<<<<<<<<<<
Editor's note: Critical violations are defined as a "rule that, if in noncompliance, is more likely than other violations to significantly contribute to food contamination, illness or environmental health hazard," according to the state retail food establishment sanitation requirements. All restaurants have 10 days to reply or appeal to violations before the records become public information.
LA PORTE - The following are the results of La Porte County Health Department inspection of restaurants and food service businesses from September.

Inspections on Sept. 11

• Silver Horseshoe, 104 S. Main St., Wanatah: Four critical violations and four non-critical violations.

• Olga's Place, 454 W. Main St., Westville: One critical violation.

• Station 801, 801 Franklin St., Michigan City: Four critical violations and five non-critical inspections.

• Carlson's Drive In, 118 W. Coolspring Ave., Michigan City: Zero violations.

Inspections on Sept. 12

• Shoreline Brewery and Restaurant, 208 Wabash St., Michigan City: Five critical violations and nine non-critical violations.

Ryan's Irish Pub, 401 Franklin St., Michigan City: Eight critical violations and 12 non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 15

• Indiana Deli and Catering, 805 Indiana Ave., La Porte: One critical violation and four non-critical violations.

• Roma Pizza, 2400 Franklin St., Michigan City: One critical violation and three non-critical violations.

• Gourmet House, 1458 W. Indiana 2, La Porte: Three critical violations and five non-critical violations.

• Beacon Hills Banquet Center, 282 W. Johnson Road, La Porte: Two non-critical violations.

• Oak Wood Manor, 1211 Longwood Drive, La Porte: Zero violations.

Inspections on Sept. 16

• Heston Supper Club, 2003 E. County Road 1000 North, La Porte: Four critical violations and five non-critical violations.

• Eagles Lodge 2439, 301 B St., La Porte: One critical violation and one non-critical violation.

• Colima, 301 Lincolnway, La Porte: One non-critical violation.

• State Street Bar and Grill, 502 State St., La Porte: Four non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 17

• Archies, 104 N St., La Porte: Seven non-critical violations.

• Great Wall, 49 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte: Two critical violations and seven non-critical violations.

• Maple City Coffee, 5426 N. County Road 325 West, La Porte: Zero violations.

• The Last Round-Up, 3454 S. Indiana 104, La Porte: Four critical violations and six non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 18

• Hacienda Mexican Restaurant, 2148 Karwick Road, Long Beach: Two critical violations and two non-critical violations.

• Holly's Restaurant, 3705 Franklin St., Michigan City: Two critical violations and seven non-critical violations.

• Pottawattomie Club, 1900 Springland Ave., Michigan City: Two non-critical violations.

Inspections on Sept. 19

• Wendy's, 1210 Lincolnway, La Porte: One non-critical violation.

• Taco Bell, 202 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte: Zero violations

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

You can go back as far as you like to judge me. Hell, if you need help, I'll even point out the most epic fails of my life.
Bottom line is I remembered reading that a whole year ago and it stuck in my mind. It is the record for food violations I think so I find it very, very hard to believe that they've turned the ship around 180 degrees and everything is perfect.
Call me a food snob or whatever but after reading about something like this, I have no desire to eat there. I used to be in the food industry at a very high level, I have a food service managers license and I take cleanliness in a kitchen VERY seriously. The things that lurk in the dark corners of a kitchen (or walk in) make my skin crawl and I'm simply not one to take chances. At the same time, there are very few restaurants in town that in my mind merit my hard earned cash.

FWIW, I don't eat at the other places you mentioned either, not because of the food violation record but simply because I think the food isn't very good.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Oct 26 2009, 03:16 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Oct 26 2009, 01:48 PM) *
You can go back as far as you like to judge me. Hell, if you need help, I'll even point out the most epic fails of my life.
Bottom line is I remembered reading that a whole year ago and it stuck in my mind. It is the record for food violations I think so I find it very, very hard to believe that they've turned the ship around 180 degrees and everything is perfect.
Call me a food snob or whatever but after reading about something like this, I have no desire to eat there. I used to be in the food industry at a very high level, I have a food service managers license and I take cleanliness in a kitchen VERY seriously. The things that lurk in the dark corners of a kitchen (or walk in) make my skin crawl and I'm simply not one to take chances. At the same time, there are very few restaurants in town that in my mind merit my hard earned cash.

FWIW, I don't eat at the other places you mentioned either, not because of the food violation record but simply because I think the food isn't very good.

Fair enough. Everyone has their own standards. I just think that posting an inspection ( and gloating a little) without giving the true date is not a fair practice. I also think that these inspections are twofold - to protect the public and to point out defiiciencies to the the restaurant personnel so they can fix them. I have hopes and feelings that most places do try to do their best and since I have eaten and drank at Ryan's recently several times, I did not feel your comments matched my experience.

Now...given your final comment that you do not eat at Galveston's (I only recently ate there for the first time and my food was delicious), Holly's or McGuiness's....and that very few restaurants in town merit your hard earned cash.....is that the reason you have not and do not come to the CBTL gatherings? What place could we gather that would meet your standards and allow you to join us?

BTW I have no desire to judge you now or in your past....that was an attempt to bring the length of time since that inspection into a little more personal perspective. My desire, in the past, now and in the future, is to enjoy time and life with friends (old and new).

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 26 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Oct 26 2009, 04:16 PM) *

Now...given your final comment that you do not eat at Galveston's (I only recently ate there for the first time and my food was delicious), Holly's or McGuiness's....and that very few restaurants in town merit your hard earned cash.....is that the reason you have not and do not come to the CBTL gatherings? What place could we gather that would meet your standards and allow you to join us?

BTW I have no desire to judge you now or in your past....that was an attempt to bring the length of time since that inspection into a little more personal perspective. My desire, in the past, now and in the future, is to enjoy time and life with friends (old and new).

Haha, no that's not the reason I haven't been at any of the gatherings, lol. I'll go just about anywhere for a drink, 80 proof and stronger kills most of the bacteria. smile.gif Timing has been the issue, I think the first winter, I was in Florida and the last one I just didn't feel like driving in the blizzard. I think that was it.

I'd rather buy a sammich at Panini-Panini and get some good homemade food that's fresh, healthy and priced right but very simple than go to a "fancy" restaurant, pay $$ and get sub par service and food.

Restaurants in the area that are privledged enough to have me not only (A) cross thier threashold biggrin.gif but ( cool.gif even order some food and be happy are: Bartletts, Duneland Beach Inn, Panini Panini, Stop 50 Pizza to name a few.

We really don't eat out a whole bunch simply because the options are limited. In many cases, food from the restaurant is bad for you even though you might not notice it. That crouton that was brushed with Sysco's "butter" flavoring, the heavy seasoning of certain dishes, preservatives that are on lot's of veggies that come "fresh chopped" because the chef thinks they'll save money that way, it all adds up.

All that said, I don't care where we go and unless I'm out of town, I PROMISE to make this one.

but yeah, the best restaurant in town is my kitchen! smile.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 26 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Gee - looks like it'll be a friendly gathering.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:03 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com