post Apr 24 2007, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news6.txt

Chamber Backs Candidates

From Staff Reports

The Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce board of directors announced Monday its endorsements for the May 8 primary election.

The endorsements went to Chuck Oberlie for mayor; Richard Murphy for 1st Ward; Marc A. Espar for 2nd Ward; Ron Meer, who is unopposed, for 3rd Ward; David Gring for 4th Ward; Thomas P. Thomas for 6th Ward; and Joseph Doyle, Bob McKee and Angie Starks for council at-large.

No endorsement was given for 5th Ward because unopposed councilman Willie Milsap did not participate in the candidate interviews.

For city clerk, the chamber said it is “very grateful for the many years of service given by City Clerk Tom Fedder. He has served faithfully and dutifully for over 20 years.

“However, we feel that it is time for a change. Mike Dempsey offers a fresh, modern approach to the job of city clerk. For that reason, we endorse Mr. Dempsey for the position of city clerk. We were impressed with his knowledge of ways to take advantage of modern technology to improve the operation of the clerk's office.”

Among the issues the chamber asked candidates was their willingness to cooperate with other civic bodies, members of business, the non-profit sector, schools and all levels of government to improve the economic climate in the community; an open mind to alternative funding sources for developments deemed to be in the community's best interest; a positive attitude toward Michigan City and its prospects for future improvements; a return to civility and an end to sarcasm, innuendo and obstructionism in local government; a willingness to do something positive for the community, not just talk about what won't work or what hasn't worked in the past; and a desire to stop finger-pointing when a problem arises and, instead, build consensus for a community solution.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Well I am working on my own write up about the elections, but I will make a couple of brief comments...

The mayoral endorsement didn't surprise me at all, in fact quite the opposite. I had no doubts that Oberlie would receive the endorsement, since they basically endorsed him when they announced their forum. It did disappoint me that they did not wait until they had their public night, but that wasn't up to me.

The theme is that there are a whole lot of changes endorsed, except at the top, and this also isn't much of a surprise. The only opposed Councilman that was endorsed is Joe Doyle. Every other person would be a new electee if picked by the electorate in May. In many cases that isn't a bad thing, in other cases that would be awful, but I'll save my personal feeling on the council candidates for a day closer to the election. The Chamber had been pretty clear they wanted change in the Council, and they have stepped up and delivered what they said they would.

I am shocked that Fedder isn't getting endorsed though, and especially in the way he was called out individually by the Chamber in their announcement. No other candidate, or even incumbant who was not endorsed, got talked about individually, nor did anyone who was endorsed. I am not quite sure of the rational behind that move.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 24 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I'll echo the "no surprises here" sentiment. Especially since the Chamber had already endorsed prematurely Oberlie quite a while ago.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 25 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Oberlie? NOT AGAIN!!

The Chamber says they want positive change; Oberlie is not it. Cheez Louise!
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 25 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 24 2007, 06:29 AM) *

Unfortunately, if you were present at the Chamber fiasco, you would have seen first hand how politics really work. The Chamber asked each candidate 2 questions, followed by 2 questions from the audience. Most candidates did their best to answer the Chambers 2 questions, however, only 1, Oberlie, came across completely rehearsed - it was blatant that Oberlie had been given the questions ahead of time and had time to prepare a response. Shame on Bietry and the Chamber, at least they could have had enough brains to tell Oberlie to stumble on at least 1 word!

Then Oberlie, in reference to the transfer station, stated that despite the fact that "He would not want it in my own back yard" that it had to go somewhere, and that he fully supporting its placement on County Line Road. However, shouldn't we be talking about the placement/location of a new landfill?

Oberlie is clearly not the choice to lead us for the 4 years ---

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 24 2007, 03:56 PM) *

Well I am working on my own write up about the elections, but I will make a couple of brief comments...

The mayoral endorsement didn't surprise me at all, in fact quite the opposite. I had no doubts that Oberlie would receive the endorsement, since they basically endorsed him when they announced their forum. It did disappoint me that they did not wait until they had their public night, but that wasn't up to me.

The theme is that there are a whole lot of changes endorsed, except at the top, and this also isn't much of a surprise. The only opposed Councilman that was endorsed is Joe Doyle. Every other person would be a new electee if picked by the electorate in May. In many cases that isn't a bad thing, in other cases that would be awful, but I'll save my personal feeling on the council candidates for a day closer to the election. The Chamber had been pretty clear they wanted change in the Council, and they have stepped up and delivered what they said they would.

I am shocked that Fedder isn't getting endorsed though, and especially in the way he was called out individually by the Chamber in their announcement. No other candidate, or even incumbant who was not endorsed, got talked about individually, nor did anyone who was endorsed. I am not quite sure of the rational behind that move.

The Chamber has been pro Oberlie since last fall - they typically always endorse the wrong candidates, and in this case follow in their own mis-guided footsteps --
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 10:19 PM) *

Unfortunately, if you were present at the Chamber fiasco, you would have seen first hand how politics really work. The Chamber asked each candidate 2 questions, followed by 2 questions from the audience. Most candidates did their best to answer the Chambers 2 questions, however, only 1, Oberlie, came across completely rehearsed - it was blatant that Oberlie had been given the questions ahead of time and had time to prepare a response. Shame on Bietry and the Chamber, at least they could have had enough brains to tell Oberlie to stumble on at least 1 word!

Then Oberlie, in reference to the transfer station, stated that despite the fact that "He would not want it in my own back yard" that it had to go somewhere, and that he fully supporting its placement on County Line Road. However, shouldn't we be talking about the placement/location of a new landfill?

Oberlie is clearly not the choice to lead us for the 4 years ---
The Chamber has been pro Oberlie since last fall - they typically always endorse the wrong candidates, and in this case follow in their own mis-guided footsteps --

Unfortunately because of commitments to the YMCA, I could not attend that night. I heard about some of the fireworks that happened that night, and was very disappointed by that. The candidate nights are supposed to be nuetral chances for the candidates to connect with the general public. The private interviews are where the agendas are supposed to be advanced.

As for the part of the questions, I will say that Oberlie through his years in office is an accomplished public speaker. I don't know if there was something afoot, but the guy understands how to speak to an audience, and probably also had a pretty good idea of what to expect the Chamber to be asking him. There could have been foul play at work, but it is also pretty plausible in my eyes that his experience could carry him through a situation like that. Having been in the same seats, it is not easy to do.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 26 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

there is a good letter in the Anvil chorus about the chamber endorsements. Essentially, it is the endorsement of a small committee, not the chamber membership, though it is issued in their name.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 26 2007, 12:14 PM) *

there is a good letter in the Anvil chorus about the chamber endorsements. Essentially, it is the endorsement of a small committee, not the chamber membership, though it is issued in their name.

Very good point, and, I might add, doesn't it make sense that since the committee is purportedly representing the Chamber membership, that the Chamber Committee poll its members and then post its endorsement? The tail is wagging the dog ----

This is another reason why all candidates should not take the Chambers endorsements to heart --
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 26 2007, 12:21 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

I also think that the Chamber has lost credibility by endorsing Oberlie because he is demonstrably bad for MC business and development.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 10

I wonder if there is any greasy palms at the Chamber?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
coco46
post Apr 26 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 36

Obviously Oberlie and his team prepared for the meeting. Since the chamber supports north end development a logical question to anticipate would be what have you done? Since many in the public question the transfer station wouldn't you expect the mayor to have an answer?
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(coco46 @ Apr 26 2007, 02:48 PM) *

Obviously Oberlie and his team prepared for the meeting. Since the chamber supports north end development a logical question to anticipate would be what have you done? Since many in the public question the transfer station wouldn't you expect the mayor to have an answer?

It seems obvious that your job depends on whether or not Oberlie gets re-elected ---
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 26 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 26 2007, 03:15 PM) *

It seems obvious that your job depends on whether or not Oberlie gets re-elected ---

The chamber picks did not suprise anybody. With Al Whitlow, the mayors controversial member of the BZA heading the government/legeslative branch of the Chamber.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 27 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

what is bugging me is how the chamber gets the balls rolling regarding the north end development stuff, then endorses the Big Drag Oberlie.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:22 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com