Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Congratulations Keith!!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53270.68

Harris Appointed To Merit Commission

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Mayor Chuck Oberlie said Nov. 6 he wanted to get Keith Harris involved in city government after the "great" campaign Harris ran for the 2nd Ward City Council seat.

Harris didn't have to wait too long to get involved.

He was elected last Friday to replace Republican Chris Chatfield on the city's fire merit commission, receiving support from members of Michigan City Fire Fighters Association Local 475.

"I think it's great," Harris said Monday. "Right now this will be a very high-profile position. All the seats on that board are high-profile, right now. I'm really happy to be involved."

The fire merit commission has been faced with challenges to its hiring practices because the Fire Department's number of black firefighters is proportionately less than the city's African-American population. The commission has established a minority hiring list from which it intends to hire to bring the number of black firefighters up.

Union firefighters voted for Harris, who lost to Democrat Mark Espar for the 2nd Ward council seat in November. Harris will replace Chatfield, who was forced to leave the board because of a technical change in his party affiliation.

A Republican, Chatfield has voted in two of the past three Democrat primaries, making him ineligible to serve. State law requires the mayor's two appointees and the firefighters' two appointees to be from different political parties.

The firefighters' appointments were Chatfield and Democrat John Stimley, and Oberlie's appointments are Republican Bart Lombard and Democrat John Skierkowski. Louise Mock, a Democrat, is the City Council appointee.

Harris's election to the commission came after Chatfield was re-elected after his term expired Nov. 1. That election, though, was rescheduled after firefighters complained that they weren't properly notified.

Only five firefighters showed up to vote because they heard about the election "through the grapevine," union President Jeff Bruder said.

While firefighters were awaiting a re-scheduled election, La Porte County Republican Chairwoman Coral Laun brought up Chatfield's party issue.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 27 2007, 02:24 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Oberlie did not pick him, the firefighters did. I got the impression Oberlie was involved in his selection but he just is taking credit somehow.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Dec 27 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 27 2007, 01:58 PM) *

Congratulations Keith!!

Thanks for the acknowledgment Ang!
I did meet with Mayor Oberlie regarding Board positions. I believe he was genuine during our meeting in respect to being considered for future openings as positions become available. It was a firefighter who contacted me and asked if I would be interested in being considered for the merit commission.

I actually think this commission placement is going to be quite interesting for a time when considering the new hiring ordinance just passed by the council. As I understand it, the commission must follow the guidelines as set forth by the ordinance, but I am going to be interested in hearing what the rank and file who elected has to say. This is just the high profile I was hoping to find.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 28 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3

I am very happy for you. I think you are a good choice for this position. I would also be cautious about being used as cover by others when unpopular decisions are made.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 30 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Good luck Mr Harris. I was really happy with the way you conducted business during the election, so I am really looking forward to seeing your work within the City governing processes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:45 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com