IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> INDIANA DRIVERS RECEIVING WRONG TOLL VIOLATION NOTICES FROM ILLINOIS I-PASS, HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE BECIDES ME???
taxthedeer
post Oct 13 2010, 05:39 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

For the last month Illinois has sent me two notices to pay $62.40 for unpaid tolls and fines for a licence plate that's not mine!!!

http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?...ArticleID=56447

10/4/2010 6:03:00 PM
Indiana drivers fighting mad over Illinois Tollway fines

Keith Benman, Times of Northwest Indiana

Jerome Koutny, of Lake Village, likes rural Newton County and his red 1997 GMC Sonoma pickup.

He didn't like the bill for $183.60 the Illinois Tollway recently sent him for back tolls and accumulated fines.

He couldn't understand why the Illinois Tollway would be chasing him down, especially as he never takes the Tollway. In fact, the fuel pump was out and the bed was off his truck on some of the dates cited.

"It was just sitting in the yard," he said. "Even now, the brakes aren't so good."

It turns out Koutny was telling God's honest truth.

Koutny is one of 116,000 Indiana motorists now receiving notices of violations from the Illinois Tollway as it seeks to clear up a two-year backlog of $7.4 million in back tolls and fines. However, the effort to clean up one error appears to be spawning new ones.

"As we mentioned, the system is not perfect and accurate plate identification is an industry-wide issue," Illinois Tollway spokeswoman Joelle McGinnis said in an e-mail to The Times after an inquiry about Koutny's bill. "There are instances when notices are sent to the wrong driver."

The problems all stem from mid-2008, when the Illinois Tollway found it could not accurately match Hoosier motorists' license plates to their vehicles and I-PASS accounts. For the next two years, no fines went out to Indiana residents for alleged violations, as the violation system for them remained turned off.

The problem was corrected in July, according to the Tollway. The authority's board of directors in August approved going after the money. Adding to anxiety is the scary language in the violation notices that warns of possible suspensions of vehicle registrations and driver's licenses.

Hammond resident Sergio Rosado reports receiving a violation notice for a car he doesn't take on the Tollway. Steven Clemens, of Valparaiso, received one for a car he said he didn't even own yet. Hoosier motorists getting nailed with violation notices report waits as long as two hours to get a real person on the phone at the I-PASS customer service center.

And Indiana drivers with I-PASS accounts still are none too happy about the original error that led to the whole mess. They are demanding to know why they are not getting the standard 50 percent discount for I-PASS users on the back tolls. That's the reason they bought I-PASS in the first place.

"I have no problem with paying the tolls they are owed," said Tammy Rauch, of Schererville, who recently was hit with a $9,825.90 violation bill. "But we don't want to pay double. We kept our end of the deal on I-PASS and they should keep theirs."

They say waiving the fines, as the Tollway Authority is doing, is no big deal, as it's not like they were knowingly cruising the tollway for free. McGinnis said charging full tolls for anything classified a violation is standard Illinois Tollway policy.

McGinnis is attributing many of the large violation bills to people not properly mounting transponders in their cars, leading to a high number of missed reads when cars pass beneath open tolling sensors. But a number of people receiving large violation bills, including Rauch, say they properly affixed the transponders.

Rauch said if she and her husband had received a violation notice at any time during that two-year period, they would have checked their transponder to see if there was a problem. It happened once before in 2004. And they weren't riding free all the time; I-PASS still was making regular $40 deductions from their account.

So far the Illinois Tollway has sent two violation notices for two of the family's cars. The first totaled just more than $2,000.

The fines were waived on that one and they promptly paid the tolls, without the usual 50 percent I-PASS discount. It seemed worth it to avoid seeing the fines increase from $20 to $50 per violation.

Then last week the second violation notice came for $9,825.90. They expect the fines to be waived, but they still will be charged $345.90 for tolls at the nondiscounted cash rate.

Now the Rauchs are waiting for the violation notice for their third car. It particularly hurts because Tammy has been working extra as a substitute school bus driver to save money for her girls' travel softball weekend.

"And now it's all going for tolls," she said.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 18 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

It appears I've gotten this matter straightened out.

I faxed all my documentation downstate and received a copy of a letter that the Indiana BMV sent to the Illinois Tollways.

To Whom It May Concern;

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) is in receipt of a letter requesting help with a citation Mr. taxthedeer received, regarding a toll violation.

This letter is to serve, as proof, that Mr. taxthedeer did not own the vehicle in question. Mr. taxthedeer owns a 1981 Honda CB400 motorcycle, with standard motorcycle plate. Please be advised that plate "118930" is also registered to a 1996 Cadillac DeVille, with a handicap plate (as CLEARLY seen on citation) to another Indiana resident.

We apoligize for your incovenience and hope this letter serves as proof that Mr. taxthedeer is not at fault and should not be held responsible for this citation. Please forward confirmation of dismissal to this office as well as the customer in question.

Should you have any questions please contact Cheryl Stevens at 317-233-2708.

Regards,

Operations Division
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 19 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Good Luck with that. I hope it all gets straightened out, Mr. taxthedeer. laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 22 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 19 2010, 11:44 AM) *

Good Luck with that. I hope it all gets straightened out, Mr. taxthedeer. laugh.gif

Thanks, I wouldn't be surprised if some innocent elderly feeble minded Hoosier resident receives one of these false citations and gets scared and pays it off.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Oct 22 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 18 2010, 07:50 PM) *

...This letter is to serve, as proof, that Mr. taxthedeer did not own the vehicle in question. Mr. taxthedeer owns a 1981 Honda CB400 motorcycle, with standard motorcycle plate. Please be advised that plate "118930" is also registered to a 1996 Cadillac DeVille, with a handicap plate (as CLEARLY seen on citation) to another Indiana resident....

Hopefully, the BMV has changed the inane policy of assigning duplicate numbers. Who was responsible for *that* policy?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:02 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com