Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mozilla
JHeath
post Aug 29 2009, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Has anyone used any of thier "projects" or products? I'm looking for a better way to check my email at work--needing a much better spam filter and better virus protection (just had a hard drive almost crash due to the malware and viruses that had accumulated over a 4 week period!).

Just looking for low-cost ideas.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Aug 29 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 29 2009, 05:39 PM) *

Has anyone used any of thier "projects" or products? I'm looking for a better way to check my email at work--needing a much better spam filter and better virus protection (just had a hard drive almost crash due to the malware and viruses that had accumulated over a 4 week period!).

Try AVAST
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 29 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Aug 29 2009, 10:29 PM) *

Try AVAST

what do you like about it?
+Quote Post
kharris
post Aug 30 2009, 07:23 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

SPAMfighter Standard is a free Spam Blocker tool that works for both Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail and Mozilla Thunderbird that automatically and efficiently blocks spam and phishing fraud.
You can download here SPAMFIGHTER
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 31 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check both out.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 2 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

I've not used Thunderbird, Mozilla's mail app, but I love Firefox, the web browser.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 2 2009, 09:58 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Sep 2 2009, 09:36 PM) *

I've not used Thunderbird, Mozilla's mail app, but I love Firefox, the web browser.

Started using Thunderbird earlier this week at the office. So far, I really like it.
As for Firefox, absolutely LOVE it.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 4 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #8

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I've heard Firefox leaves spyware on your puter. I was using it for a while and still use it when I visit certain websites but when my anti-virus program scans the puter it always finds malicious cookies left from Firefox.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kharris
post Sep 4 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 4 2009, 12:22 PM) *

I've heard Firefox leaves spyware on your puter. I was using it for a while and still use it when I visit certain websites but when my anti-virus program scans the puter it always finds malicious cookies left from Firefox.

They are most likely not "malicious" cookies ... just cookies. Most of the antivirus/anti-malware programs these days will label cookies as malicious. And, every browser be it Mozilla, Internet Explorer or any of the others, cookies are left behind. Biggest benefit of Mozilla over IE is that most viruses, adware and spyware are written to go after the big guy, Microsoft, which is why all of the other browsers are safer to use.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 8 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #10

Thanks for the info Keith. I'm lucky I can figure out how to turn the computer on sometimes, much less figure out what needs to be done with it. Aren't you a computer guy? I need some maintenance done to mine, it runs verrrryyyyy sllllooooowwwww.......
I'm not sure what to do and it would be nice if someone would teach me how to maintain it properly.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 8 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2

I love Firefox. I used it whenever possible. I love so many things about it.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 9 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 8 2009, 11:42 AM) *

I love Firefox. I used it whenever possible. I love so many things about it.

Web pages load faster w/Firefox compared to IE...and then there are all the cool add-ons.....

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 9 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Sep 9 2009, 08:37 PM) *

Web pages load faster w/Firefox compared to IE...and then there are all the cool add-ons.....

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

That's why I use it for certain websites, but I was scared about all that other stuff I posted above. I use Firefox to watch Lost. It seems IE always gets hung up and you can't watch the program smoothly, but with FF, there is no problems at all.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
davew
post Sep 13 2009, 06:51 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 863

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 9 2009, 09:27 PM) *

That's why I use it for certain websites, but I was scared about all that other stuff I posted above. I use Firefox to watch Lost. It seems IE always gets hung up and you can't watch the program smoothly, but with FF, there is no problems at all.

I am a bit of a tech geek, I run all my email through gmail, it has the best spam filter out there. I mean all of my email. You can set it up to run whatever email you get through outlook into gmail, and there are add0ons that you can do to make it more efficient and it is all FREE

D
+Quote Post
kharris
post Sep 13 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 8 2009, 11:27 AM) *

Thanks for the info Keith. I'm lucky I can figure out how to turn the computer on sometimes, much less figure out what needs to be done with it. Aren't you a computer guy? I need some maintenance done to mine, it runs verrrryyyyy sllllooooowwwww.......
I'm not sure what to do and it would be nice if someone would teach me how to maintain it properly.

Sorry for the 5 day delay in replying Ang. I'd be happy to help you out. PM me and we can set something up.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 13 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(davew @ Sep 13 2009, 07:51 AM) *

I am a bit of a tech geek, I run all my email through gmail, it has the best spam filter out there. I mean all of my email. You can set it up to run whatever email you get through outlook into gmail, and there are add0ons that you can do to make it more efficient and it is all FREE

D

Dontcha think its kind of creepy, though...sending ads based on your messages? Not sure that I like Google in charge of all my email.
+Quote Post
davew
post Sep 15 2009, 06:20 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 863

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Sep 13 2009, 07:11 PM) *

Dontcha think its kind of creepy, though...sending ads based on your messages? Not sure that I like Google in charge of all my email.

If google is not doing it, someone else is. Free is not always Free, but it is very close. There are so many cool things that Google does like free directory assistance on your phone all voice based. Google Voice, 1 number for your all your needs.

D
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com