IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Health department to offer HPV vaccine, http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=375473
JHeath
post Apr 18 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Posted Online: 4-17-2007
Health department to offer HPV vaccine

The La Porte County Health Department announced Friday it has the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine Gardasil available.

Gardasil was licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in June 2006 and has been approved by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It protects against HPV, the most common risk factor for cervical cancer, according to state health officials.

More than 1,000 women in Indiana were diagnosed with cervical cancer, a preventable disease, and more than 400 women died of it between 2000 and 2004, according to the La Porte County Health Department.

The health department is providing Gardasil to adolescent girls, ages 9 to 18, who are not insured or are currently enrolled in Hoosier HealthWise.

Walk-in clinics are located at 809 State St., La Porte, fourth floor, every Monday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. and noon to 3:00 p.m.; and at 302 W. 8th St., Michigan City, every Tuesday from 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. and noon to 3:00 p.m.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 18 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Is this the vaccine that Texas Governor Rick Perry was trying to require teen girls to get?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 18 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

It is, and they are trying to pass legislation in Wyoming to make that available to teens. At first they were trying to get schools to require the shot as part of regular vaccinations, but (as you can imagine) that caused a tremendous uproar. Especially since many of our population here is Mormon (or Latter Day Saints) and they saw no reason for their daughters to be required to have a shot to help prevent sexually transmitted disease. So, now they are trying to make it available for teen girls to get it with or without their parents' consent. The whole point behind it is that it can help to prevent cervical cancer by eliminating the chance of getting HPV-which is gotten from multiple sex partners with little or no protection.
It kills me the way our society is moving. Instead of teaching our daughters about abstinance, we can take them to the clinic to get a shot instead, or they can just go by themselves, and it's supposed to be okay.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 18 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 18 2007, 10:49 AM) *

It is, and they are trying to pass legislation in Wyoming to make that available to teens. At first they were trying to get schools to require the shot as part of regular vaccinations, but (as you can imagine) that caused a tremendous uproar. Especially since many of our population here is Mormon (or Latter Day Saints) and they saw no reason for their daughters to be required to have a shot to help prevent sexually transmitted disease. So, now they are trying to make it available for teen girls to get it with or without their parents' consent. The whole point behind it is that it can help to prevent cervical cancer by eliminating the chance of getting HPV-which is gotten from multiple sex partners with little or no protection.
It kills me the way our society is moving. Instead of teaching our daughters about abstinance, we can take them to the clinic to get a shot instead, or they can just go by themselves, and it's supposed to be okay.

I really haven't read much about HPV, or how it is transmitted, but I do know that if there is a vaccine that I can provide to my daughters to help prevent or lower their risk of cervical cancer, I'll be in line to have them receive it.

This does not necessarily mean that I'm telling them it's alright to go out and take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself or that they should have unprotected sex with multiple partners. Instead, I view it as an chance to offer them protection now from an awful disease that could affect them later in life.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:17 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com