Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/1580368,ba...ps-0519.article

Questions turn into new shop
May 19, 2009
By Jeff Parry, Post-Tribune correspondent

With its convenient west side location on U.S. 12 in Michigan City, many anglers have stopped at the established marine repair shop on their way to the lake to ask Tony Childers where they could purchase some bait.

Chief's Bait

Where: U.S. Highway 12 & 4th Street, Michigan City; 874-4086;

www.tonysoutboard.com

Hours: Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturday, 6 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Sunday, 6 a.m. to noon

Prices: Perch minnows -- $1.25 per dozen; Night crawlers -- $2.75 per dozen; Small crawlers -- $3.50 per 2 dozen; Leeches -- $2.50 per dozen; Waxworms -- $2.50 per 3 dozen

So five years ago Tony talked his son, Tony Jr. or "Chief", into running the bait shop. However, the younger Childers lost his life in a vehicle accident just prior to opening.

"That'"s where I came up with the name "Chief's Bait," Tony Childers recalled. "A lot of people think that I'm the Chief, when really it was my son."

Tony Childers noted that if it were not for his marine business, odds are that he could not survive economically with just a bait shop. He said that the bulk of his business is from perch fishermen, many of which are just getting started.

"I have had fathers and sons come in that were unfamiliar with perch fishing and ask questions," Childers said. "Helping them to get started fishing and to catch perch has been rewarding. They tend to become repeat customers."

When Childers first stocked the shelves he said that it was the perch fishermen he had in mind, evident of the wide selection of perch rigs, sinkers and weights. Over time, though, he has added lures that salmon and trout fishermen have requested.

The past few years Chief's Bait has sponsored several perch fishing tournaments. This year they have teamed up with the LaPorte County Visitors Bureau and WIMS radio station to host three perch tournaments, including one on June 20 where a tagged perch could reward one lucky angler a nice prize of $25,000.

"There will be 10 perch released, all will be released at least a mile apart," Childers said. "The prize money has brought us a lot of phone calls so we expect a good turnout."

For more on Chief's Championship Perch Series, visit www.intothegreatlakes.com or call 874-4086.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:10 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com