Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=383306

Ring it up
Comment on this story

Scot Squires, 1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13869, ssquires@heraldargus.com

Photo: Wendy Thoms
The Save-A-Lot store at 38305 Franklin St. in Michigan City is set to open in the middle of September.
More photos from this shoot

New Save-A-Lot store to add to variety of supermarket options in Michigan City

MICHIGAN CITY -- Shoppers will soon have another choice when it comes to grocery stores.

A new Save-A-Lot store will open in the middle of September at 38305 Franklin St. in Michigan City, next to the Goodwill store.

“It is a fantastic location,” said store owner Todd Hinson. “People can get in and out of the parking lot very easily.”

The 15,000-square-foot store is expected to create 25 full- and part-time jobs.

Save-A-Lot stores are smaller stores with an “edited assortment,” according to company spokeswoman Jaime Folsom Powers.

“Save-A-Lot carries the products most used by consumers,” she said in a press release. “By eliminating costly overhead and unnecessary amenities, the store can offer the best of the most frequently purchased products and pass the savings on to its customers.”

The store will have frozen food, fresh meat and produce and dairy departments.

The store is mostly stocked with store-brand merchandise, but some specially priced, temporary items will be name brand.

Shoppers will bag their own groceries, like at Aldi, which has been in the area for a number of years.

Hinson, who owns three other Save-A-Lot stores, believes the store will do well in Michigan City.

“We had market studies done, and we believe customers want a store like ours based on the market studies,” he said.

“It is a very clean operation,” Hinson said. “The fresh meat is cut daily. We have a clean, bright store with very good front-end service. The prices are fantastic.”

Hinson, a northwest Indiana native, is no stranger to Michigan City and has fond memories of the community.

“I use to fish on the Michigan City pier as a kid with my dad,” he said.

Although he wouldn’t provide specific details, Hinson said there are plans to open more Save-A-Lot stores in La Porte County.

The new store will have lots of competition. Michigan City already has a Jewel/Osco, Aldi, K&M, Meijer and two Al’s supermarkets. A new Wal-Mart Supercenter is scheduled to open this winter.

There are 1,150 Save-A-Lot stores nationwide, including one in La Porte. Some of the stores are corporate owned while others are licensed to other companies. The Michigan City store is owned by Hinson’s company, VIP Food LLC of Hammond.

Save-A-Lot’s parent company is Supervalu, which also owns the Michigan City Jewel/Osco store.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 14 2007, 01:14 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Gee, just what we needed. Another grocery store!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 14 2007, 01:15 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

We had a Save-A-Lot here in Casper. It was my favorite store. They have Aldi prices with brands you'll find in most "regular" grocery stores. One thing in particular is their "That's a Wrap" brand foils and clear wraps. The clear wrap is the stickiest I've ever come across. Better than Saran IMO.
Ours closed last spring. I have no idea why. They were in a bad location, so maybe they didn't get enough business. I was very sad when they left because my grocery bill doubled.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 14 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 14 2007, 02:15 PM) *

We had a Save-A-Lot here in Casper. It was my favorite store. They have Aldi prices with brands you'll find in most "regular" grocery stores. One thing in particular is their "That's a Wrap" brand foils and clear wraps. The clear wrap is the stickiest I've ever come across. Better than Saran IMO.
Ours closed last spring. I have no idea why. They were in a bad location, so maybe they didn't get enough business. I was very sad when they left because my grocery bill doubled.

Just one more reason to move back to the area, Ang. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 14 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 14 2007, 02:43 PM) *

Just one more reason to move back to the area, Ang. biggrin.gif

I'm working on it...

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 19 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Even though I am pretty happy with the meat counter at Jewel's, I will try the meat at SavALot. I hope it is beef...

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 19 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #7

I'm glad you posted here, because that reminded me that today is the opening day. They sent a bunch of discount coupons out in the mail, so saving a few bucks is enticement enough for me to check them out!

Personally I just hope that this doesn't mean the end of Al's between this new store, and the Super-Wal-Mart going in.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 19 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Drove by the Save-a-lot on my way home from work at about 6pm and the lot was packed...

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 19 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Sep 19 2007, 01:03 PM) *

I'm glad you posted here, because that reminded me that today is the opening day. They sent a bunch of discount coupons out in the mail, so saving a few bucks is enticement enough for me to check them out!

Personally I just hope that this doesn't mean the end of Al's between this new store, and the Super-Wal-Mart going in.

I'm with you, SSider. I love Al's, and their employees. I don't think that SavALot will hurt Als as much as it may affect Aldi. But Super Wal-Mart may be another story.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 20 2007, 06:58 AM
Post #10

Al Pontius gave my dad his first job. I have had all kind of relatives work there over the years, and everybody really seemed to like the place. Personally I think the people who work there are the nicest group in town of the grocery store employees. I might be biased, but hey, there is nothing wrong with that.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 20 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #11

I checked it out. Personally, I will keep shopping like I do now.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Oct 15 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Sep 19 2007, 01:03 PM) *

Is Al's doing that badly?

I think they are somewhat insulated with their locations not being near any other Supermarket. (Karwick Plaza, and Ames Field being a good few miles from any other market. If Meijer didn't kill Al's, I doubt Super Wal Mart will.

Signature Bar
Please help me fight HIV/AIDS with the Empire State AIDS Ride.
http://ESAR6.kintera.org/RexKickass
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 15 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(RexKickass @ Oct 15 2007, 03:13 PM) *

Is Al's doing that badly?

I think they are somewhat insulated with their locations not being near any other Supermarket. (Karwick Plaza, and Ames Field being a good few miles from any other market. If Meijer didn't kill Al's, I doubt Super Wal Mart will.

If you remember, Meijer did kill the Valueland II store (that used to be near Wal-Mart). That was a sister store to Al's.

I doubt that Wal-Mart will be the end of Al's, but they will have loss leaders that will at least initially hurt the Al's stores.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 15 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #14

If K&M is stll open, I wouldn't worry too much about Al's

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 17 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #15

I always thought that Al's on the south side closed way too fast.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Oct 18 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 15 2007, 03:58 PM) *

If you remember, Meijer did kill the Valueland II store (that used to be near Wal-Mart). That was a sister store to Al's.

I doubt that Wal-Mart will be the end of Al's, but they will have loss leaders that will at least initially hurt the Al's stores.

I do remember the Valueland II store. That replaced the Al's that was across from Marquette Mall, right?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 18 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(RexKickass @ Oct 18 2007, 01:28 AM) *

I do remember the Valueland II store. That replaced the Al's that was across from Marquette Mall, right?

Yes it did. I think it was supposed to eventually replace the store by Ames too, but it got slaughtered by the Meijer store. I think Al's does have its niche in town at least. Hopefully they do stick around, as they are the last truely local place we have.

By the way all Save A Lot is, is another Aldi. Lots of generics, and a few specials on stuff. Nothing impressive unless you luck upon them having something you need.
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Oct 28 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #18

What about K&M?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2007, 06:48 AM
Post #19

K&M is kind of on its own island there on the east side. I think they will be OK as a "neighborhood" store.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 29 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #20

K&M and East Side Produce on 20 are locally owned by the same people.

Meijer deliberately had lowball prices to knock VII out: Too bad so many people jumped. Just wait till WalNart (thanks, Ang) opens; we all know the reputation they have regarding local businesses. I propose a contest: How long can you avoid the new place?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:45 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com