Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...70985005883.txt

Szilagyi 'subject to disciplinary review' by commission

By Julie McClure
and Deb Sederberg
Staff Writers
Published: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:06 PM CDT
LA PORTE — La Porte County Prosecutor Bob Szilagyi acknowledged Monday in a press release that he is "subject to disciplinary review" before the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission involving an issue stemming from his divorce more than three years ago.

The investigation has been rumored for many weeks and Monday's press release was Szilagyi's first acknowledgment that an investigation is under way. In the press release, Szilagyi said the matter does not involve the prosecutor’s office nor a client representation matter.

Pursuant to the rules of the Disciplinary Commission, the investigation into the issue is confidential until completed. However, any disciplinary action regarding an attorney that is ordered by the Indiana Supreme Court is a public record.

"As such I cannot discuss this matter further. My attorney and I are working on a resolution. Once that is completed full disclosure will be forthcoming. I regret that I let my judgment be clouded by emotions. I accept responsibility for my actions," Szilagyi said in the press release.

Sue Weinkauff, San Pierre, who is Szilagyi's ex-wife, confirmed Monday that she filed the complaint with the disciplinary commission. She alleged that shortly after their divorce was final in 2009, and before Szilagyi became La Porte County prosecutor, he forged her name on the deed of the house and had it notarized when he was refinancing to place the house in his name. A notary witnesses and certifies that a signature on a document is valid.

According to Weinkauff, the house was awarded to Szilagyi in the divorce. "He got everything — I got nothing," she said of the divorce settlement. "At the time, he was refinancing the house, and out of convenience, he decided to sign my name. With the handwriting, it was pretty obvious. I found out when he presented it to the title company," she said.

Weinkauff had previously worked at the title company and knew that Szilagyi was refinancing the house to take her name off the property. "As part of the divorce, he got the whole thing," she said, referring to the house, adding "All he had to do was ask me to sign it and I would have. He forged my name ... it was pretty unethical of him."

Weinkauff said she tried to go to Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer with the forgery allegation, but Mollenhauer did not want to pursue the case because there was no monetary gain on Szilagyi's part. "He didn't think it was worthy to file," she said.

Weinkauff said she was a member of the sheriff's posse and called Mollenhauer on the phone to talk to him about it, because she thought she would need a police report.

When contacted by phone Monday night, Mollenhauer denied that Weinkauff had ever brought the issue to him personally.

"She's a liar," he said. "There was never an investigation, and if there was an investigation, I would have turned it over to the detective bureau. I have no recollection of that."

Capt. John Boyd, chief of detectives for the sheriff department, said he had no recollection of any investigation being conducted into a case involving Szilagyi and the signature on the refinancing documents.

Mollenhauer said he was unaware of any allegations against Szilagyi and said, "this is the first time I have heard about it. I don't remember her ever talking about it at all."

Mollenhauer said he would never say anything like the "monetary gain" comment. "I speak to his ex-wife," he said. "But she certainly never told me anything like that."

Weinkauff said, "of course he does," when told that Mollenhauer denied that he had ever been presented with the allegation about the forged signature. "I spoke to him on the phone," she said. "He was the elected sheriff and I was on the sheriff's posse. I figured before I went to the disciplinary commission I would need the police report."

According to Weinkauff, Szilagyi has hired an attorney and has been in a meeting with the Disciplinary Commission to come to some sort of agreement about the allegation. She did not know when the results of the commission's investigation would be released.

In the press release Szilagyi said, "I cannot discuss this matter further." Attempts to reach Szilagyi and the deputy prosecutor who e-mailed the press release were unsuccessful.

County Commissioner Ken Layton said he thinks of Szilagyi as a friend. He said he knew nothing of the press release. "I really truly knew nothing of it," Layton said. "I've been a friend of his family's for 40 years now."

He added that because the prosecutor's office is a state position, the commissioners have no jurisdiction over Szilagyi.

Commissioner Willie Milsap said, "I'm sure there will be some dialogue" on the matter, but like Layton, he said he knows the commissioners have no authority over the prosecutor.

"But he's bringing this up on the eve of the first reading of the ethics ordinance," Milsap said. "This is an example of why we need this ordinance," he said. An ethics ordinance would give county government a kind of filter system through which various matters could be passed in discussions of ethical fitness or unfitness.

Szilagyi was sworn into office on December 27, 2010 after being elected on Nov. 2, 2010. The La Porte County Prosecuting Attorney's Office represents the State of Indiana in all felony and misdemeanor criminal prosecutions resulting from crimes committed within La Porte County. Szilagyi's office conducts and supervises criminal investigations, supervises grand jury proceedings, conducts juvenile adjudications and prosecutions, enforces child support obligations entered in divorce and paternity cases and provides information and assistance to victims of crime.

Szilagyi has served as a deputy prosecutor for St. Joseph and La Porte counties and established a law practice in La Porte County. He served eight years as the La Porte City attorney and has served as attorney to the La Porte zoning board, planning commission and to the county commissioners.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 4 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 10

"She's a liar," he said. "There was never an investigation, and if there was an investigation, I would have turned it over to the detective bureau. I have no recollection of that."

That's a pretty strong allegation. I know Sue, she is a respectable woman and I don't believe she is lying. Just my opinion.

LaPorte County can't seem to get it right with Prosecutors, can they?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 5 2012, 08:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 4 2012, 11:00 AM) *

That's a pretty strong allegation. I know Sue, she is a respectable woman and I don't believe she is lying. Just my opinion.

LaPorte County can't seem to get it right with Prosecutors, can they?

It sure smells funny, that is for sure.

Maybe we need to put together some sort of politicians blotter for CBTL? Keep track of all investigations and charges in one easy to reference spot?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 5 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

That's not a bad idea...

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com