Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dr Jacobi gets high honor
Southsider2k12
post Jun 11 2007, 08:31 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Well this makes me feel a lot better about our choice of a pediatrician!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...p;ArticleID=976

Area Doctor Honored for Service

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

He describes himself as a simple pediatrician, a man who likes science and people and hopes to do some good.

Dr. Mark Jacobi's peers beg to differ.

At a recent meeting of the Indiana Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, the organization honored Jacobi, who practices at Health Partners Medical Group, with its Virginia Wagner Memorial Award for 2007. The award recognizes pediatricians for service to children in the areas of volunteerism, legislative efforts and lifetime achievement.

Jacobi had not intended to go to the May meeting.

"I was going to New York to see my cousin get married," he said.

His friends from the Academy talked him into changing his plane reservations.

Dr. Robert White, a neonatologist at Memorial Hospital of South Bend and director of the regional newborn program, called Jacobi "an unusual clinician with wonderful clinical acumen" when he presented the award at a ceremony in Indianapolis.

"He looks further into his patients' conditions than anyone I know," White said. "Humble in spite of being a brilliant physician, Mark is one of those doctors who make other physicians better. He has made me a better physician."

Jacobi says his local partner pediatricians make him a better physician. Doctors J.R. Gandra, Gregoria Landicho, Y. Paik and Razia Begum are "a wonderful bunch of clinically astute and knowledgeable co-workers. I have learned from each of them," he said.

Jacobi earned his medical degree from Washington University Medical School in St. Louis and his Master's of Public Health, Maternal and Child Health from the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. He completed his internship at St. Louis Children's Hospital. At Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, he completed a fellowship in ambulatory pediatrics.

A native of LaPorte who has practiced in Michigan City for 30 years, Jacobi earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan.

"I had known Milt Bankoff since I was a kid," Jacobi said, "and I wanted to live close to family, so right after Judy and I were married, we moved to Michigan City." Judy Jacobi is marketing director for Purdue University North Central.

Jacobi joined the practice at The Medical Group, founded by the late Dr. Milton Bankoff. The practice now has become Health Partners Medical Group which is owned by St. Anthony Memorial.

"St. Anthony Memorial is very proud to have a physician of the caliber of Dr. Jacobi on staff," said Dave Ruskowski, president of St. Anthony Memorial. "His commitment to the community and to his patients is extraordinary."

Jacobi has become an influential voice in public health policy issues concerning families and children.

As the federal access-to-care representative for the Indiana Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, he has lobbied on Capitol Hill many times, always taking up the cause of children in need of health care. He has been quoted in print media and has appeared on television as a pediatric health authority.

Jacobi's attitude is gratitude to "the American Academy of Pediatrics which has given me an opportunity to use my public health degree and to participate as an advocate for children's health."

When asked what drew him to medicine, Jacobi said, "I love working with people, I love to talk with people and I love science. Medicine lets you help people while visiting with them at the same time and actually doing some good.

"I find the practice of pediatrics to be most enjoyable."

The American Academy of Pediatrics also honored Dr. Steven Simpson, a Gary pediatrician, for his innovative approaches toward improving literacy in children and their parents.

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 11 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Our family has been friends with Mark Jacobi for years--and I wouldn't have anyone else as the pediatrician for my children.

You're right--this just solidifies the decision.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 15 2007, 08:02 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

He is a real mensch. And not just because he called my son an "ideal baby." MC is lucky to have him and his wife.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:50 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com