Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=55769.64

South Shore trains collide
Saturday incident took place during sequencing, NICTD general manger says.

Scott M. Lawson and Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Two South Shore commuter cars clipped at the station at Carroll Avenue on Saturday morning, resulting in some damage but no reported injuries.

Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District General Manager Gerald Hanas said the incident will likely be under investigation for several weeks before a determination is made into what happened.

But he did know the basics. Train 504 was coming into the yards at the Michigan City location from South Bend with four cars. An additional four cars were going to be added.

Another commuter train entered the location. The collision took place during a process Hanas called sequencing.

"During sequencing, a slow-speed cornering collision occurred," Hanas said Sunday night. That collision caused one of the cars to derail, he said.

The collision jolted some passengers, ripping the side of a train and shattering glass.

"It started bumping and shaking and stuff like that," passenger Hannah Sweet told WNDU NewsCenter 16. "My mom grabbed me and we started falling over and started falling into the wall."

Passenger Andre Waddell told the South Bend news station there were moments of fear.

"Immediately I jumped up and tried to rip the window open and people told me to sit down," he said. "I was just afraid something was going to catch on fire."

An eyewitness who arrived shortly after the train collision said it was difficult to figure out what was happening.

Bill Keefe, of New Buffalo, Mich., planned to take the 9:20 a.m. train to Chicago.

Keefe said it appeared that a single car coming in on a spur track ran into the right side of the other train, pushing it off the track. The two cars were stuck together.

Hanas wouldn't characterize what caused the incident.

"We'll be doing some technical factoring over the next couple of days," Hanas said. "We always take a look at what happened. It's a constant process of lowering the probability of these (situations)," he added.

Passengers were walked off the train and later boarded different commuter cars, Hanas said.

Gordy Young, a member of WNDU's weather team, was onboard the train and phoned in a first-hand account following the accident. He said the side of the four-car train was ripped apart and glass was shattered.

"I can see some of the siding on the train that has been ripped off," Young told WNDU. "I can see the insulation underneath there. You can definitely see the trains collided."

Hanas said the train yard process will be examined closely.

"In this case, it's a matter of sequencing and we'll have to have a hard look at sequencing in the yard," he said.

WNDU NewsCenter 16 contributed to this report.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com