Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lady Wolves getting the shaft with the polls
Southsider2k12
post Dec 27 2006, 07:09 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So the Wolves went from getting votes before beating Merrillville, to now not getting any? What a crock.

Are girls poll voters blind?

By Jesse K. Cox, The News-Dispatch

When it comes to basketball, my girlfriend's eyes are the freshest peepers around.

Until two weeks ago, she'd never been to a basketball game. Ericka joined me for the Michigan City-Merrillville girls game - somewhat reluctantly, at that.

Her sporting love is football. More specifically, she loves the Green Bay Packers - good thing she's beautiful, huh. She can call a pass interference call on any given Sunday, and not just the cheapies.

Prior to the City-Merrillville game Dec. 12, the concept of a traveling call was beyond comprehension, but only because she didn't care. Given the combination of a cruel mood and her oblivion, I could have distorted the game for my own twisted means.

With my best poker face, I could have convinced her each traveling call included a $1 fine. I'm wasn't in the fantastically evil mood to come up with that at the time, although hindsight would say the NBA should consider fines for missed free throws.

She learned basketball in between my frantically silent statistic scribblings. She bought her way into a few more games, one of which featured City's girls again, as well as a boys game.

With only a week's understanding of the game in general, she saw the Wolves were a special team.

Subconsciously, I may have desired a fresh set of eyes to convince me I'm not insane or giving in to some local bias. How could Michigan City's girls not garner a single vote in the polls without losing a single game and soundly beating a few good teams and having a few votes were tossed their the previous week?

On that matter, Ericka and I are on even footing. Clearly, I am a novice when it comes to polls. I've drunkenly wallowed in bottle stupidity all these years thinking a 9-0 team that has outscored good competition an average of 62-40 isn't worthy of a solitary vote.

It should be understood Ericka and I are not from Michigan City. We don't even live here. I have no personal investment in the Wolves winning or losing.

My only prejudice is seeing a very good team blatantly overlooked on what amounts to a criminal level.

Sure, there will be the token Indianapolis area teams given the nod each week, and I've learned to accept Indiana's version of the East Coast Bias.

Since it is the Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association poll, the explanation may be a backlash statement after City coach Gary Collins admitted he felt slighted by the polls putting the Wolves just outside of the Top 10.

As much as I liked almost every coach I've ever met, a lot aren't above petty grudges.

Polls aren't exactly beacons of truth anyway. Using a sports ranking system with popularity contest rules costs the operation its credibility.

Collins shouldn't - and likely won't - watch his mouth when it comes to being critical of the pollsters, who are his coaching peers.

Go ahead, leave the Wolves off the ratings radar screen the rest of the season, coaches. City doesn't need to be ranked to knock your team out of the state tournament bracket in a few months.

Even my rookie girlfriend can see that.

Contact sports writer Jesse K. Cox at jcox@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 577.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Dec 27 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 27 2006, 07:09 AM) *

So the Wolves went from getting votes before beating Merrillville, to now not getting any? What a crock.

The poll system is a joke. It's a hopelessly unfair system where coaches are asked to vote for or against teams they've never seen play. It's inherently flawed and utterly untrustworthy. It's best to pay little or no attention to the polls. Rankings are nice, but ultimately they mean nothing.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 27 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I agree with MC Born... Having worked in that capacity, all rankings are is a popularity thing. Let's face folks, MCHS hasn't been popular of late, except as a fav to play cause they're an "easy win." But, we all know the Lady Wolves are kickin' butt this year and are going to make those pollsters choke on their votes!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:49 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com