Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Wal-Mart destroying America?
Ang
post Jul 13 2012, 11:11 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Very interesting item I found about Wal-Mart and how it is affecting our economy....

Is Wal-Mart destroying America?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 13 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

None of that really surprises me. Walmart's a monster, and unfortunately I feed into it, too. I probably go to Al's or Meijer more often than I got to Walmart, but I spend more money at Walmart. We do our big shopping trips at Walmart usually, sometimes Meijer depending on sales. For little trips (need a gallon of milk, some eggs or bread or whatever, daily stuff) I'll run to Al's because it's right by the house.

But I'm sorry, if I can have a long grocery list and spend $100 some place and $65 at another, I mean, I have to spend the $65. If that makes me a bad American, then I'm a bad American. (I have two American cars! LOL) We do spend plenty of money at local bars, restaurants, etc., so I don't feel too bad.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 13 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #3

I do my food shopping at Kroger, with that savings card you can really rack up some points toward gas discounts, not to mention the money you save on food by using the card. The last time I filled up my tank (two weeks ago) I spent $2.85/gal at Kroger by using my fuel points. For the "bout outta" stuff I shop at Family Dollar or Dollar General. I do a lot of shopping at Aldi, too.

And "bout outtas" are things like shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. I call them that because when you need them, you say something like, "I've got to go to the store, I'm bout outta shampoo"

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 13 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

We cashed out our Wal-Mart stock in order to purchase our home when we moved here from Portage 20 years ago.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 13 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 13 2012, 01:35 PM) *

I do my food shopping at Kroger, with that savings card you can really rack up some points toward gas discounts, not to mention the money you save on food by using the card. The last time I filled up my tank (two weeks ago) I spent $2.85/gal at Kroger by using my fuel points. For the "bout outta" stuff I shop at Family Dollar or Dollar General. I do a lot of shopping at Aldi, too.

And "bout outtas" are things like shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, etc. I call them that because when you need them, you say something like, "I've got to go to the store, I'm bout outta shampoo"

Kroger just isn't convenient for me in MC, but when I spent time at the H-A a few days a week, I'd often stop there on my way home for "bout outtas" tongue.gif
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Jul 13 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 13 2012, 03:08 PM) *

We cashed out our Wal-Mart stock in order to purchase our home when we moved here from Portage 20 years ago.

Ouch.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
hrw
post Jul 13 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,186

In full disclosure mode, as an employee of a local independent supermarket chain, my bias against Wal-Mart is quite severe. I have been preaching the evils of their business model for years. As the majority of the population in the LaPorte & Michigan City region probably earn $ 12.00 an hour (or less), I understand they must shop where they can get the most for their money.

However, nothing makes be madder than people who earn a good living that continue to shop there for no good reason. I have questioned friends of mine and the usual answer is because it's cheaper. When I explain to them why it's cheaper, it doesn't seem to matter.

I found it most ironic that these are the same people that went ape shit crazy when Governor Daniels signed the Right to Work Bill earlier this year, as most of them are union workers. When I pointed out their continued support of Wal-Mart results in the loss of higher paying manufacturing jobs(many of them union) due to a continued stream of plant closings, most of them agreed with me. And yet they STILL shop at Wal-Mart.

I just don't get it sad.gif
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 13 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 13 2012, 12:11 PM) *

Very interesting item I found about Wal-Mart and how it is affecting our economy....
Is Wal-Mart destroying America?

Great slideshow video of people shopping at Wal-Mart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wRd_6_YCw
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 13 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I've never crossed the threshold of the Walmart store.
Sam Walton preached made in America. He's rolling in his grave.

people of Walmart anyone? tongue.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 14 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 13 2012, 07:17 PM) *

Great slideshow video of people shopping at Wal-Mart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3wRd_6_YCw

O-M-G!!!! I am SO glad I haven't seen any of those people around here! I did see a guy once in the La Porte Wal-mart wearing a bright green mankini....

For those of you who don't know what it is...... mankini

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jul 15 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(hrw @ Jul 13 2012, 05:22 PM) *

In full disclosure mode, as an employee of a local independent supermarket chain, my bias against Wal-Mart is quite severe. I have been preaching the evils of their business model for years. As the majority of the population in the LaPorte & Michigan City region probably earn $ 12.00 an hour (or less), I understand they must shop where they can get the most for their money.

However, nothing makes be madder than people who earn a good living that continue to shop there for no good reason. I have questioned friends of mine and the usual answer is because it's cheaper. When I explain to them why it's cheaper, it doesn't seem to matter.

I found it most ironic that these are the same people that went ape shit crazy when Governor Daniels signed the Right to Work Bill earlier this year, as most of them are union workers. When I pointed out their continued support of Wal-Mart results in the loss of higher paying manufacturing jobs(many of them union) due to a continued stream of plant closings, most of them agreed with me. And yet they STILL shop at Wal-Mart.

I just don't get it sad.gif

The same anti-Daniels people also wait in line to eat at Olive Garden, which was built by non union labor. Help me understand this.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 17 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jul 15 2012, 02:17 PM) *

The same anti-Daniels people also wait in line to eat at Olive Garden, which was built by non union labor. Help me understand this.

America doesn't shop the way that it talks. As a country we have refused to support higher cost items, which support higher playing jobs.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 17 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #13

That's so true. I was interviewed for a position with one of the "dollar" stores recently. They wanted to hire me for a management position, but only pay me slightly over minimum wage. I was offended by their offer. I guess they pay such low wages so their employees have no choice but to shop in their stores. I did a little research on the subject and learned that all of the "dollar" stores pay low wages. Ridiculous!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:52 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com