Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MC Teacher Hiring Practices
Ken
post Jun 13 2008, 09:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 796

The Michigan City Schools administrative guidelines state that the principal and staff will interview and make a recommendation to the superintendent who has approval authority and then sends it to the school board for final approval. However, this process is only being carried out for the majority of schools.

There is at least one school where the superintendent stated that he is not taking recommendations. I know of two teachers who were offered positions by the principal, then the offer was withdrawn because the superintendent said that no recommendations were being taken from that one school.

Does anybody have any other information on this? The legality of the these inconsistent hiring practices?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 13 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

There is a rumor out there that one school is totally frozen from hiring, but I don't know if it is true or not, nor any details about it.

BTW, welcome to the site! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Ken
post Jun 13 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 796

I'm not sure if it's the same school or not, but it sure sounds like it. Any thoughts on why the freeze? I do know that the union has strong representation at the school in question and we all know about the issues between the union and administration.

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking for a while and finally felt compelled to post.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 13 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Like I said, it was a rumor I had heard, and I am not quite sure that I could make sense out of why something like that would be necessary, or done.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Jun 13 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

Some info that I can share is that this "particular school" interviewed 17 prospective teachers and finally decided for the 5 openings that they had. After contacting 4/5 and welcoming them on board, the principal was instructed by downtown administration to call and tell them the positions were no longer available. Many many hours were spent after school and into the evening conducting these interviews. The teachers doing the interviewing believed that they had the ability to make decisions on the hiring of these teachers. Needless to say, they were devastated by the phone call.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3

Insider info! Welcome to the Board, Michele!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:32 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com