Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cell service in City
Southsider2k12
post Feb 4 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

So who is good and bad? I want to get a phone with a data plan and internet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 4 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

We use Sprint. Our service is great all over, except on the lakefront, in the Pines (spotty), and headed north on 12 towards NB. I think they also offer the most cost-effective unlimited data & voice plans out there.

This is what I found on their site for MC coverage:

Simply Everything SM

Everything your phone, PDA or smartphone can do nationwide - unlimited text, surf, email, listen, watch, find and of course, talk - on one simple plan.
This plan includes

* Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM
* Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones)
* Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video
* Unlimited talk: Unlimited anytime minutes, nationwide long distance and no roaming charges
* More about what's included in this plan

Unlimited $99.99

+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 4 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

I use Verizon and haven't had many problems. Occasionally I will get a bad connection on outgoing calls, but that typically only happens on Johnson Rd between LP and MC, so I avoid making a call in that area until I am off Johnson Rd.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 4 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 4 2010, 07:15 PM) *

So who is good and bad? I want to get a phone with a data plan and internet.
If you and Parky ever happen to find yourselves calling a game at South Central High School near the town of Union Mills you're going to be SOL.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 5 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Feb 4 2010, 10:46 PM) *

If you and Parky ever happen to find yourselves calling a game at South Central High School near the town of Union Mills you're going to be SOL.

The man speaks the truth. Union Mills is a cell wasteland.
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Feb 5 2010, 09:23 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Feb 5 2010, 01:51 AM) *

The man speaks the truth. Union Mills is a cell wasteland.

Best to see if you can get some kind of trial period, and make sure they will terminate the contract and return the equipment if you aren't satisfied. If it works where you need it, fine. The experiences of others really doesn't matter unless your concerned about customer service, which I assure you, all suck.

It's a radio, subject to all the vagaries and interferences that plague radio waves, with the addition of the constraints of shared access. So even if you can get good reception, the system has to have the capacity at any given moment to serve you.

+Quote Post
dusk
post Feb 5 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 979

I'm stuck with Verizon for another year and a half, but I'm exhausted of my roughly 8 year run with them. Many battles over their practices and blunders. Anyone know if http://www.straighttalk.com/ works around here?

Signature Bar
I don't know how I wound up here, but I'm increasingly glad I did.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Feb 5 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

I've been with T-Mobile for 8 years and have been extremely satisfied. I left my phone in the washer one time - called customer assistance and told them what happened - and had a new phone in 48 hrs. at no charge. The only dead spots I've found are between New Buffalo and Three Oaks...and south of 30 on 421 in the LaCrosse/North Judson area of the "cell wasteland".

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
mc46360
post Feb 9 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 971

Yes, straighttalk does work around Michigan City. Great deal, can't beat $30.00/month 1000 min or 45.00 unlimited
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 9 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

I seriously thought this was about what the inmates at the MC jail were being served for meals.
+Quote Post
dusk
post Feb 9 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 979

QUOTE(mc46360 @ Feb 9 2010, 12:21 AM) *

Yes, straighttalk does work around Michigan City. Great deal, can't beat $30.00/month 1000 min or 45.00 unlimited

Indeed, if that's where the pricing/cost ends. But as always the case with cellular providers, there winds up being numerous other fees and taxes.

Do you happen to know what the actual monthly cost winds up being for these plans?

Signature Bar
I don't know how I wound up here, but I'm increasingly glad I did.
+Quote Post
mc46360
post Feb 11 2010, 02:09 AM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 971

QUOTE(dusk @ Feb 9 2010, 07:50 AM) *

Indeed, if that's where the pricing/cost ends. But as always the case with cellular providers, there winds up being numerous other fees and taxes.

Do you happen to know what the actual monthly cost winds up being for these plans?

The total cost for the $30.00 plan is just that $30.00, you get 1000 minutes/1000 text messages and internet browser.

For the 45.00 plan you get unlimited minutes and text messages.

You have to go buy a phone card every 30 days for the service to continue and any unused minutes you do lose. Right now they only place I think you can buy the phones and service cards in Wal Mart.

I've had mine for only 1 week, so it's really hard to tell if I am going to have any kind of problems, but so far so good, everywhere I have been, like Walkerton and Plymouth, outlying places, I have had good service.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 11 2010, 04:41 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Feb 5 2010, 11:23 AM) *

I've been with T-Mobile for 8 years and have been extremely satisfied. I left my phone in the washer one time - called customer assistance and told them what happened - and had a new phone in 48 hrs. at no charge. The only dead spots I've found are between New Buffalo and Three Oaks...and south of 30 on 421 in the LaCrosse/North Judson area of the "cell wasteland".

We also have T-Mobile and haven't had any big problems. There's also that dead spot on Indiana 2 right around New Prairie High School. I used to commute back and forth from school in South Bend, and it never failed that I would make or receive a call near there, completely forgetting that I'd soon be dropping that call. But as cell phone companies go, I suppose you could do worse than T-Mobile.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Mar 29 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

I've been with US Cellular for about five years now and I am very happy with their service. Coverage is good throughout the entire area with excellent coverage in the bigger cities of Fort Wayne and Chicago. I am a little skeptical of the local sales people as I was told I would not be signing a new contract when I needed to purchase a new phone. Two weeks later I get a letter thanking me for signing up for two more years. I guess just a shady salesperson in the local store on Franklin St.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 30 2010, 06:32 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2

I'd call the company. You can get out of the contract in the first month. You might also get some free service out of it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:40 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com