Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=2426

Taking To The Sky

Amanda Haverstick
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City's Skate Park was host to the first Summerfest Skate Park Jam on Sunday, which brought in skateboarders, BMX bikers and inline skaters from across the region.

Skaters and bikers showed a variety of acrobatic tricks while the crowd cheered them on.

BMX rider Austin Raetz, 18, of Momence, Ill., who was airborne for some of his events, has been participating in the sport for three years.

"I just had a lot of friends that were into the sport and I started doing it," Raetz said. "(I like the) adrenaline rush you get from it. I travel a lot for this."

In order to prepare for competitions, Raetz said he keeps in shape by weightlifting and eating healthy.

Raetz said he always wears protective gear, but he has been banged up.

"I almost snapped my neck last weekend," Raetz said. "I almost went to the hospital."

The event was divided into two age groups, with children under 14 participating in the morning. Contestants 15 and older showed their stuff during

the afternoon.

Event organizer Ed Beutner said he was happy with the event.

"In reality, I was hoping for a small turnout since this is the first time we've done it," Beutner said. "What I was hoping to do is get a core group of people together this year, get the experience of running it and hopefully draw more people into the organization by getting this thing started."

While contestants were mostly from the LaPorte, Westville and Valparaiso area, one contestant came from China and another from California.

"We have one of the best facilities within a two- or three-hour drive. This park attracts people from a real wide circle," Beutner said. "I think that we can see things grow with more riders, get some of the companies in that sponsor and maybe bring some of their pro or semi-pro riders in."

Tyler Fernwalt, 17, Niles, Mich., has been doing BMX tricks for five years and visits Michigan City's skate park frequently.

"This is the skate park I come to the most. The ramps are good," Fernwalt said.

Fernwalt said it's hard to explain what he likes about the sport.

"A lot of people ask me that. It's like a little bit of everything," Fernwalt said. "Riding with your friends is the main thing. I'm here with three people right now. It's something to do - it's like bonding."

Beutner, who used to run the Michigan City cardboard boat race for 14 years, told the Summer Festival Committee in January that he was willing to organize the Skate Park Jam.

"This is a sport that's growing. It's a sport that the young people love to do," Beutner said. "I love to watch it. I wish I was 20 years younger. I'd be out there with them."

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 23 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Yes, Ed would.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com