Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Personalities in City Politics
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 11 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This is one unified place to discuss all the people running the City and running for election. Let's go!!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 11 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am actually in the process of writing a long letter to the anvil chorus about what I want to see in our next mayor. I'd be curious to hear specific stances that people are going to use to decide whom to support in the next council and mayoral elections.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 11 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #3

Take Bob McKee, f'rinstance. Great guy, known him since grade school, know he wants to do good things for the city and area.

I do have questions about how much he has thought about the importance of keeping as much of the lakefront and Trail Creek corridor as public, free, and green areas. Think of it as a mini Grant Park in chicago and the great things that could result in for the City.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 13 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

Southsider- please post your anvil chorus letter here. I am interested to see what you have to say and the ND does put anvil chorus letters in their online verson. Thanks!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 14 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 13 2007, 01:35 PM) *

Southsider- please post your anvil chorus letter here. I am interested to see what you have to say and the ND does put anvil chorus letters in their online verson. Thanks!!

I think you meant, does not, right? Yeah, I will definately post it here. Heck I will probably put it here first so you all can grammar edit it tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 15 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #6

You're right, I did mean does not. Sometimes I think faster than I can type and I forget to put words in there, then when I proof read, my mind knows the word is supposed to be there so it inserts it when I read. A good suggestion is to proof read by starting at the end and reading toward the beginning.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 15 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #7

I too would like to see your letter. It is high time we started making demands of the city leadership, including who runs and why! The same names are seen over and over in any article regarding MC, and that is how we can identify the people who have pretty much failed to pull MC up by its collective bootstraps. Two big areas I am particularly interested in are the schools and city planning. Talk about needing new blood!!! I hope Toledo does hire our MCAS supertintendant; that way we get to find a new one.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 15 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Right on Roger!! I totally agree.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 15 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #9

How about submitting it as a guest editorial. I think that would carry more weight as an editorial vs. a letter, if you follow me. Then let the letter-writers would react and the issue will stay alive a little longer.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 18 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #10

So, what do you guys think about the City Council conflicts that have recently come up? I think Willie has a good point about taking Chuck off some of the committees and boards and understand why he felt the need to do what he did. But I also think is was very cowardly the way he went about doing it. He should have contacted Chuck and said, "Hey, I have these concerns and you and I need to talk about them. I feel it necessary to take you off these committees because...." Then let Chuck speak his peace about them instead of just replacing him without warning.
Also, what about Ron Meer? I know his son (which is actually his step-son) and Ron has made himself look like a jerk in the past defending that boy. Now look what's happened. Crazy!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 18 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #11

There is always a right way and a wrong way to do things. I agree the committee stuff should have been talked about man to man first of all, and then if Lungren wasn't willing to do what was right, then you air it to the council in public.

I think things like that are symptomatic of the political atmosphere in MC in general. There is very little cooperative effort across the board right now, and the city as a whole is suffering for it. The factionalism and in-fighting between different members and groups of our legislative bodies is counter-productive, and reinforces bad stereotypes about MC.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 18 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #12

Here is the full story for those who do not know it...

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../18/news/n2.txt

Milsap replaces Lungren on several boards

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Michigan City Councilman Chuck Lungren said Tuesday he was mistreated when he was removed as liaison to the city's Redevelopment Commission as part of sweeping changes new board president Willie Milsap made to all city committees.

“I feel a bit slighted to have been removed by the president,” Lungren said during a 15-minute rant at the end of Tuesday's council meeting. “If somebody's doing a good job, maybe you don't take them off that board. I feel like I've done a good job. I'm a little bit ticked off.”

Milsap on Tuesday replaced Lungren on several boards, but Lungren took particular exception to his replacement - with 6th Ward Councilman Phil Jankowski - as liaison to the Redevelopment Commission.

Jankowski was assigned to eight committees and boards, while Lungren was placed on only three, one of which - the city's finance committee - meets only once a year, according to Lungren.

Milsap said Wednesday Lungren's committee assignments were changed because other council members expressed interest in Lungren's assignments.

He said Lungren didn't approach him with recommendations until just days before Tuesday's meeting and by then the assignments had been decided.

“He had three weeks prior to confirm or deny what he wanted to do,” Milsap said. “My philosophy is, let's jump-start this. If it turns out bad, we can always change it.”

Another reason for the changes, Milsap said, is the question of Lungren's future availability not only to fulfill his committee assignments, but his term on the council. Lungren is awaiting word on punishment for a probation revocation filed last year in conjunction with his second drunk driving arrest in eight months.

He served 15 days in jail and was sentenced to 40 days of roadwork community service.

Milsap said he wants to get a “fresh start” with new people who he's assured will be able to fulfill their duties.

“Redevelopment is our top priority,” he said. “We need to know we have people there. I told (Lungren), though, that just because someone's not there doesn't mean he has no input.”

During his soliloquy, which was rendered politely but with a few veiled barbs, Lungren defended his position by saying most redevelopment in the city will take place on the city's north end in or near the First Ward Lungren represents.

“I know these people and I know what their feelings are on this stuff,” he said Wednesday. “If Phil was at-large, I could see it. But he doesn't represent this ward.”

Lungren also said Milsap's worries about the future are unwarranted.

“That's highly speculative and premature right now,” Lungren said. “Even so, you can put someone else on the committee if I can't serve.”

In a moment of levity, Councilman Ron Meer jumped at the opportunity to ease Lungren's concerns.

“Mr. President, I'd gladly give all my committee assignments to Mr. Lungren,” Meer said with a chuckle. “It would free up more time for my constituents.”

Lungren turned down the tongue-in-cheek offer, saying Meer was missing the point.

“My concern was about being taken off the Redevelopment Commission,” Lungren said Wednesday. “That was my point.”

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 19 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #13

I do not like Ron Meer. I knew him through my job and to me, he seems like a man who enjoys throwing his weight around. He uses his position on the council to get people to bend to his will and if it doesn't work, he gets loud and threatening. At least that's been my experience with him. If I lived in the 3rd ward, he would definitely NOT have my vote.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 30 2007, 10:39 AM
Post #14

Hey Southsider, where's that letter you promised us? I'm anxious to see what you have to say.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 30 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 30 2007, 10:39 AM) *

Hey Southsider, where's that letter you promised us? I'm anxious to see what you have to say.

Its been one of those weeks for us... really sick baby, plus the washer and my car both died within 36 hours of each other. Bah, for once I am glad to be back at work.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 30 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #16

Sorry to hear about your sick baby. I hope everything is okay. I wish you well and I'm glad you're back.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Feb 6 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #17

I received this e-mail & want to pass it along to the mb:

Hello, Recently Marc Espar has announced his intention to run for the 2nd Ward Seat on the City Council of Michigan City. I'm sending this email out to many of you to inform you of my decision to support Marc in his campaign for election to the City Council. As I send this out to many of you on my contact list, I do realize that some of you and including me do not live in the second ward or in fact live in the City limits of Michigan City. What I do know is that I spend my money in Michigan City and take part in the many activities in Michigan City and share the same goal of wanting to see Michigan City move forward. The reason many of you are on my email contact list is because you are involved in youth sports or enjoy the use of Patriot Park. Recently some members of the present City Council decided not to allocate the funding needed to complete the master plan of Patriot Park. Its not there decision that bothers me the most but rather how they went about it. What I want is someone who is going to study the issue and take a logical approach to the issues. Not someone who is going to delay the movement and stall it by making it a personality issue. As a life long Michigan City area resident this is the first time I can remember having such a dedicated Park Superintendent and Park Board working to improve the quality of life for all to enjoy. As a member of the City Council I know Marc Espar will take the time to prepare himself on all issues and make reasonable decisions based on there merit. I would hope if you feel as I do, you will join me in my support of Marc Espar and consider attending his campaign kick off this Wednesday from 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM at St. Stanislaus Church Hall. I'm not soliciting you for financial support but rather your support on the issues that we share and your help in getting voters excited about the future of Michigan City. We will have Pizza and refreshments for all to enjoy. Marc would like to meet you and your family this Wednesday.
--
Tony Drzewiecki
Committee to Elect Marc Espar

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #18

IPB Image

http://www.emichigancity.com/cityhall/coun...index.htm#ward2

Looks like he would be running against Paul Przybylinski and Dennis Burke there. This could also be really interesting if the rumored run for mayor by Mr Przbylinski is true.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Feb 7 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #19

I did not hear the scuttlebutt about Paul running for Mayor. From the conversations we have had, I know that I would support his stance against Section 8 housing and lousy educational system.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 10 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

In reference to Mr. McKee, don't you think it's a little odd that he wants to see the lakefront developed in the same way that his own recently departed father sued the city for some years ago (during his own term on the council)? I know that a person is not necessarily defined by the actions of his or her family, but that just strikes me as odd.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com