Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Women's Equality Day- August 26th -LWV
RedDevilMC
post Aug 25 2008, 08:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

August 26 of each year is designated as Women's Equality Day. This day was instituted by Rep. Bella Abzug, established in 1971 and commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment. This amendment is called the Woman Suffrage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and it gave U.S. women full voting rights in 1920. The League of Women Voters will have several letters in the Anvil Chorus (hopefully) and a Viewpoint in the News Dispatch tomorrow.

LWV will be at the Michigan City Public Library on Tuesday September 26th registering voters and handing out information. We are also planning Voter Education Forums for the Fall Election. This is a critical election season and we want to make sure voters are ready to make informed decisions. We will be there from 1pm - 4pm. Please stop by!

Angie
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Aug 25 2008, 09:48 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Can you believe that there is a group that wants to repeal the 19th? How about it, guys, whaddya think?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 26 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

8/26/2008 11:00:00 AM
Baker First Woman Council President
Aug. 26 of each year is designated as Women's Equality Day. This day was established in 1971 and commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment. This amendment is called the Women's Suffrage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and it gave U.S. women full voting rights in 1920. This day was established when I was 6 months old! It's amazing how far women have come, and especially in Michigan City.

We have had so many women locally who have established themselves as activists for our community. We have Sue Tokoly, Hazel Thomas, Virginia Martin, Joie Winski and Pat Boy, just to name a few. We also have many who have left us but are still in our hearts like Yvonne Stephens-Norvell, Rebecca Williams and Sylvia Bankoff. These are all women whom I have had the chance to break bread with or just chat with, but today, I would like to honor the one and only Evelyn Baker!

Evelyn was honored this year for 32 years of service to the Michigan City Common Council. She has held an at-large seat for an unprecedented eight consecutive terms. This is longer than any other person. She began her first term in 1976. She was the first woman elected as president of the Michigan City City Council.

Evelyn has never bit her tongue with me, or anyone else, for that matter. She has paved the way for me and all women who have sat on the City Council. Evelyn has never been afraid to take a stand on any issue or back down on something she believed in. Throughout my campaign last year, she encouraged me and told me that I would be OK. I can only hope and pray to serve the Michigan City community as long and with such compassion as Evelyn has. Thank you, Evelyn!!

Angie Nelson

MC Common Council At-large

League of Women Voters - Board Member

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49057.41
Bowser Never Stopped Fighting For Rights
Indiana ratified the 19th Amendment on Jan. 16, 1920. Ratification was successful when the 36th state ratified on Aug. 18, 1920. Certification took place Aug. 26, but it is to this 18th day that I write, and of a woman born at this exact time.

State Sen. Anita Bowser was born Aug. 18, 1920, in Canton, Ohio, to Nicholas and Emilie Albu, immigrants from Romania and Germany. After receiving her law degree, two master's degrees and a doctorate, she found herself in Michigan City as a founding member and the first woman educator of Purdue University North Central.

From 1980-1992, she was a member of the Indiana House of Representatives, where she became the first woman to serve as House Speaker. She retired from PNC in 1991, after 41 years of teaching and one year before entering the Indiana State Senate. She was a senator until she died in 2007.

Dr. Bowser was a highly respected constitutional law scholar. To her students and to her colleagues, she was known as a true believer in the Constitution, interpreting it as a document of hope, not hate; of inclusion, not exclusion. This was made clear in her final speech before the Senate.

The issue was the proposed "marriage amendment," requiring that marriage be heterosexually defined. Sen. Bowser stated that she had never before seen an issue that so threatened to deteriorate our beautiful document. She concluded, "Who next is going to be on your hatred list?"

Anita Bowser was a voice for the underprivileged, the workers and the marginalized. Known as the "Conscience of the Senate," she demanded integrity and ethics of her colleagues, and so should we of each other.

Kathryn Kintzele
Secretary
La Porte County League of Women Voters.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49057.41
Budak's Career Monumental
Mary Kay Budak didn't grow up dreaming of a life in politics. She was born and raised in Philadelphia, and her marriage to Michael Budak brought her to Michigan City. They started a monument business, a partnership with Michael creating the monuments and Mary Kay managing the business. Three children followed in quick succession.

Another business was created, but a freak fire destroyed it; the Budaks faced economic disaster. When the Republican Party asked Mary Kay to run for City Council in 1979, she jumped at the chance, but it was the Democrats' year.

In 1980 Mary Kay ran for the Indiana House. She went to bed thinking she had lost and awoke to find she had won.

She was elected on a crest of women's access to political power. Mary Kay quickly developed an interest and expertise in legislation affecting children and families. Her ability to relate to others enabled her to work across the aisle. Mary Kay used her political power to enact legislation to benefit children's health and well being.

The League of Women Voters salutes Mary Kay Budak, a pioneering woman who served her constituency with distinction.

Betty Lou Nault
The League of Women Voters LaPorte County

This post has been edited by JHeath: Aug 26 2008, 11:13 AM
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 26 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I served as a page for Mary Kay Budak. It was something I will never forget, and sure helped to really get me hooked into politics.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 08:33 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com